FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

STRAIGHT CUTS WITH A TORCH
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kayrondad

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23 11 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smokin mike- I did the water deal on the one that was hanging and is now on the trailer.

the rusty looking one I already cut and welded on and burned out.

the longer skinny one I only took a torch to the vent hole and no flame so I figure it safe. Before I fully cut into it though, I will drill a hole in the end and relight the torch to flush out any fumes. An old back woods welder told me when he worked on the gas pipes in TX that is what they did to "purge" the pipes. Said it was only dangerous when you were too stupid to stand away from the venting hole!
kayrondad

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23 11 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOLL! Our city ordinance is quiet from 10 PM until 8 AM, so I get to make all the noise I desire until 10 PM and at the crack of 8 I am working.

Started to cut the first tank today and ran out of Ace. Was practice welding and broke the welder. My brother did the cutting and K.A.M may have some competition here. My 24 yr. old brother cut that tank like a pro. Check out the pictures. Mind you, he has not cut metal since my Festiva smoker build three years ago. Gotta love a brother that can do the deeds I am no good at!!

Brother cutting the tank

pretty damn straight IMHO

and firebox 1 is cut....no gas to cut anymore Sad

I doubt I will ever grow up!
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23 11 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kayrondad, y'all are moving right along. Very Happy That is a pretty fare cut to be sure of. I had no idea I was competing though. Wink

Hybrid Cooker
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23 11 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
kayrondad, y'all are moving right along. Very Happy That is a pretty fare cut to be sure of. I had no idea I was competing though. Wink

Laughing Cool Wink

Best Regards,Kevin!

Tony Very Happy
kayrondad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24 11 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no comepetition intended K.A.M, just blew my mind when my little brother cut like that. I am in no way as talented or gifted as he is. pissed me off when I have to struggle to make eagle turd welds and torch cuts that look like a drunkards cuts and he just comes along and makes such nice work....but then again we hae always been the dynamic duo- master designer and master crafter. Funniest thing is, I can design and he can build but neither of us can do the opposite! to top it off, we rarely talk about the plan and we seem to know what the other is thinking and we move right along as if we had planned it out together....and we are not even blood related....weird!
Robert & Keri C
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24 11 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't take this wrong but your neighbor and town council are stupid. The tanks sitting in front of your house are way better looking than the Festiva now sitting in the drive. It just looks like an abandoned POS car that could set there forever but those beautiful smokers are potential public art. You are going to feed the public and all public projects anymore have to have landscaping. So there you have it. Consumable heavy metal art landscaping that will be used to construct picturesque pits to feed the selected public.

JMTCW. Remember at the next election for the elected officials, vote early and vote often.

Robert C.
1 Home Built XL GF Stump clone w/Roc's Stoker
3 Cookshack FEC100's
1 Good One P30 (on loan)
1 Vermont Casting gas grill
kayrondad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24 11 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey now, easy on the Festiva. In many eyes it is a POS, but for me I dare anyone to find a car that gets 43 MPG that is 20 years old! Only 208K miles and still runs strong. Sure you could probably get a Prius (did I just type that?) but will your pocket hurt and will your insurance rates be as low as mine. Anyway.
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25 11 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kayrondad wrote:
hey now, easy on the Festiva. In many eyes it is a POS, but for me I dare anyone to find a car that gets 43 MPG that is 20 years old! Only 208K miles and still runs strong. Sure you could probably get a Prius (did I just type that?) but will your pocket hurt and will your insurance rates be as low as mine. Anyway.

second that! I have two!and a Geo prism!Hot rods R us!When ever your not driving it you should put it up on cinder blocks that would really piss them off!LOL
What is 12,3,6,9?In the olden days when many of us used to ride dinosaurs to school 10 miles up hill each way we had a clock with numbers strapped to a wrists and it had numbers in a circle starting at 1 and going thought to 12 with 12 being at the top 6 at the bottom 9 in the middle to the left and 3 on the right.LOL
A teacher told me a story about something like I just wrote.could figure out why the kids had that glazed over look when he talked about 12,3,6,9 position till he looked at the kids and saw they all had digital watches.
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25 11 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kayrondad wrote:

Started to cut the first tank today and ran out of Ace.

Forget about ordinances and local laws. Murphy's law is the one you will probably be quite familiar with. Running out of gas on a Saturday....good. Ya'll have already met then. Laughing

kayrondad wrote:

I doubt I will ever grow up!

Don't, it just gets in the way of things. Looking good KRD!
kayrondad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25 11 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I remember the clocks with the hands....stopped wearing one as it always got caught on something in the engine bay of my cars, or on some other thing that I was working on. LOL.

I like the cinderblock idea....may even empty the car and leave the doors, hatch and hood open.....pull the battery, leave some miscellaneous wiring hanging out (fake of course) and put a huge block of dry ice in the engine bay and let it vaporize for a while....yep, that will piss them off good!!
kayrondad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26 11 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a buddy dropped off his welder for me to use!!!! looks like I can get back to work....sorta. Gotta grind a bevel on the one tank and I have decied to create a tear drop type firebox as a way to create my own design and not have an overkill firebox.....

anyone got recommendations for how high off the ground the top of the smoker should be. talking about the DP clone I will be working on first. 30" diameter OD. Will have two cook racks, single stack exhaust, tear drip firebox.....just wondering what would be the "right" height.
Joe Swanson

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27 11 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kayrondad wrote:

i know what ya mean. all the technology they have now a days, and cars from 20+ years ago can do the same, if not better. my dad had an 88 VW jetta diesel that could get 45 mpg all day long. my uncle brags about his 09 prius and how he can get 45 mpg. the funny part is how he has to work to get that, he drives 55 and not a mph faster, and starts slowing down about 3 miles before he gets to where he has to stop. Laughing hes always telling me how he gets the finger...gezz i wonder why

sorry to hijack

nice build, cant wait for more pics Smile
ckone
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27 11 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Swanson wrote:

my dad had an 88 VW jetta diesel that could get 45 mpg all day long.

Growing up my neighbors dad had a VW rabbit truck with a diesel and got better than 55 mpg, course the top speed was also 55 unless you turn on the AC, then it was 45.

We now return you to the build thread already in progress.
feldon30
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02 11 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daddywoofdawg wrote:
kayrondad wrote:
hey now, easy on the Festiva.

second that! I have two!

One for each foot? Wink They're like big rollerskates. Keep in mind I'm almost 7'.
kayrondad

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04 11 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do you all think of a 3500 lb cap. torsion axle for $70???? here is the link. I just sold my scooter so I have a little cash to buy what I cannot build or choose not to build.

http://stockton.craigslist.org/rvs/2185162536.html
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04 11 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kayrondad, That would be a score for sure! Their is a weld on mount for torsion axles also, they weld on your trailer frame and then the axle bolts to this mount. If he had that, that would be a mega score, but if not, you can fab your own mounts pretty easy!
kayrondad

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04 11 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's hard to tell from teh craigslist pic, but it looks like there is some sort of mounting bracket. Never seen a torsion axle, but if I understand the physics of ti, the hub/spindle would be angled in the downward position if looking straight at the hub, correct? If that is the case, won't that bracket looking thing with the two holes be what I would weld my frame to?
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04 11 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah thats my bad, the bracket is on there, just hard to make out in the pics if it was the mounting angle bracket or just the flat mount bracket. That bracket is angle iron and welded on the axle, its hard to make out but looks like the holes are on the side of the bracket too. When I do torsion axles, I weld a bracket on the trailer frame and bolt the axles on, that way they can be removed easily if need be. Dont hold me to this, but by the picture, it looks like that axle is a 22.5 degree down axle, which is the most common axle. There are 3 different type of torsion axles in both up and down degree. You might ask the guy if he knows what degree it is up or down. If you buy it, let me know, and I can have you take some measurements and find out what degree for sure you have so you know how to set it up. Check it over good and make sure the rubber in the torsion part is good and not all cracked up, shouldnt be, but just make sure. Its a good score on an axle if in good shape, it has EZ lube hubs on it, which is an upgrade on an axle, so its a good find. Check the width of the mounting bracket too and make sure that it will be wide enough for the trailer you are wanting to build. Where you see the holes on the bracket, that is where you mount it to the trailer frame, so that will be your trailer width. There are ways to "fudge" that a little by building custom mounts, but you dont have much room to play with on the measurements.

Anything else I can help with, just ask, send me a pm or write it out here.

Hope it helps some.

Last edited by TrailerBuilder on Fri Feb 04 11 2:36 am; edited 1 time in total
kayrondad

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04 11 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks trailerbuilder. I called him and left a message. I was hoping to run out there and get it this afternoon, but if I have to I will wait....another guy here in town has a bunch of trailer parts at his farm, so I may wander over there this afternoon as well since I need a coupler and he says he has axles as well......will keep you posted for sure.
kayrondad

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05 11 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay moving forward at a snail's pace, but still moving. I cut and attached a top for my firebox. PLEASE DO NOT LAUGH. I have no real instruction in welding and am learning as I go. How would I fix this weld? Should I grind a "v" groove all the way around and run ne beads (or at least try to)? What settings should my welder be on? I have a buddy with a stick welder, should I use stick rather than FCAW? The pictures show the basics of what the welds look like all the way around after I ground them down as well as the welder I am using.

[img]

[/img]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: