FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

STRAIGHT CUTS WITH A TORCH
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05 11 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kayrondad, I am not going to laugh at your welds. Your trying and I applaud your effort. Very Happy Personally I do not think you have enough welder for the task at hand. Your welds from what I see are cold with little penetration. To answer your question, yes you can grind out the porosity and pockets and run another pass over what you have to clean it up. I hope this helps. And keep trying your learning. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05 11 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kayrondad, Man, I dont think you will be lauged at. Your trying dude, and thats where we all started. Im sure some of my first welds looked rough as well. Grind them out of there and run another bead over it and see what happens. My dad always told me, if you want to be a better welder, grind your own welds. The more bad welds you grind, the more youll pick up on not making those bad welds again.

On your machine, its "rated" at a 1/4" material weld. I have a Miller 135 and when I use it for thicker material, I bevel the two surfaces if possible crank up the heat and make a slower, wider pass. Seems to work okay. Going by where your machine is set in the picture, I would say you need more wire speed. When I run my 135 with the heat on the max setting, I have my wire speed set at around 5, give or take. I might suggest getting some scrap pieces and just play around with the welder, make some adjustments, and burn some steel and get a feel for it. Each machine is different, so what anybody tells you might not apply to your machine, but it will be somewhere to start.

Just as a side note, my buddy who is helping me build his and my smokers, the X2 build as we call it, didnt even know what a welder was until he met me, and now hes burning 1/4 steel like a pro. Dont give up man, it just takes time and practice, and patience! Dont be shy to ask questions, thats what this site is for.

Good luck and keep the pics of your build coming!
kayrondad

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05 11 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay boys and girls, I scored a really sweet 3500 lb cap. torsion axle with 5x4.5 hubs and easy grease! All for the cost of just $70!!! Feel like this was a winner! The only bad part of today is my buddy was not able to get me the 2.5x3 I-beam I will use for the frame...gotta wait until Tuesday. Also was not able to score any wheels for low dollars so lugging this axle around will be heavy...oh, well, time to act like I work out!

here are some pics of the thing....sorry camera battery died, these are with my Quantico cell phone....

[img]

[img]

I read on the Ring somewhere to layout the trailer on the driveway and use soapstone to give a line drawing. Well I had no soap stone, so I used a bar of Lever 2000...afterall it is supposed to be good for all 2000 body parts, right? Not sure if the lines are clear, but from behind the axle (approx. 12") to the end of the square frame is 8' and then the triangel to the coupler is 4" making the trailer a total of 8'. This is going to be a DP clone so the cook chamber will be placed over the axle. At the tongue, I want to add a LP tank and in front of the firebox I will build a 2-burner propane stove (prolly 1 low pressure and 1 high pressure). Want to make it like K.A.M. did for the Smokin' Aces but will add my own "signatory elements". Trailer frame (mounting bracket edge to mounting bracket edge will be 53" with a face to face hub of 73"

another angle to help with clarity. Once I get some feedback on the design, I will take duct tape and start "rough" fabbing the layout so it will be easier to move and modify the lines. I could just as easily do this in AutoCAD in 3D but I do CAD all day and building my smoker this way is a lot more fun and easier to visualize.

So, lay on the tips, I am not bashful nor pompous so your ideas are not just welcome, they are NECESSARY!
kayrondad

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05 11 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah, I will also be adding a direct grill cooker opposite the stove....not sure if I will make a chargriller or just buy a gas unit and mount it....since this one is going to be for sale, thinking to make a chargriller and do it right so it will be of better value IMHO.
mrcustomsteel
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05 11 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good. I move the axle and draw everything you want on it actual size with the wheels and fenders, etc. Walk around it and get a feel for how it will work then redraw it as needed.

I'd build the whole thing on the frame on the floor or up on blocks. When it's finished, find the center of balance, then mount the axle last.
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08 11 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kayrondad, nice score on the torsion. With the EZ lube hubs, that makes for a nice worry free axle. Common mounting on an axle is to take the length of you trailer bed, minus the tongue and times it by 60%. This is where the center of your axle should go. Example would be a 12' trailer box. 144" x .60 = 86.4" 86.4 is where you would want the center of your axle. That is what you see mentioned alot as the 60/40 split. Now, with smoker weight and all of your add ons, this can easily vary and be moved around a little to give you proper tongue weight. As mrcustomsteel mentioned, you can build everything, then add your axle to a happy medium, or build your trailer on a 60/40 split, set cooker and add ons on the trailer and move them around until you reach your desired tongue weight. Either way would probably work pretty well for what you are doing.
kayrondad

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08 11 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys!.

now for a dumb question: which way is forward on this axle? Not sure exactly how to go about attaching a frame.

Trailebuilder, yuo said something about a bracket to weld to frame and bold to axle for easy axle removal....what kind of bracket would I fabricate? would it just be a square tube? Also, the holes on the side of the frame bracket as seen in the pic, the only thing I can think them for is fenders...would you all concur?

Oh, one more question. As I look for wheels, I understand the weight tolerance is important as well as the weight rating of suggested tires. But where do I start? are 13" too small? are 15" overkill?
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08 11 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kayrondad, by the looks of the axle, you have a 22.5 degree down axle. The flat part of the mount with the 2 holes is what mounts to the underside of the trailer with the hubs pointing down and the hubs pointing to the rear of your trailer. The last picture you show, just flip the axle over left to right and youll have it how its supposed to be. The side holes your thinking are for fenders are actually part of the mount as well. You can bolt the axle directly to your trailer frame. What I do is weld an angle to the trailer frame, usually a 2x5x5/16th and bolt the axle to the angle. You can also run a straight plate down your frame and use the side mounts to bolt your axle on.

For tires, I always use a 15" tire. I'd go at least 14". I don't have my book with me now but I think a 205/75/15 bias or radial are rated at 1820 pounds per tire. Might be off on that by a little. Your axle is 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern which is the most common, so you can get about any style of tire/wheel combo.

Hope this helps some, let me know if you have more questions.
kayrondad

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08 11 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hopefully I am not pushing my luck with help here, but in the end maybe someone else will be able to glean from this thread.

TrailerBuilder, see the picture below. which way do you attach the angle to the frame to bolt to the axle? sorry for the rough sketch, but I am very visual and it all starts to make sense when I draft it out in CAD. Also, if you were to use a plate to add to the frame to bold to the side holes, how far past the holes would you suggest making the plate? In my HVAC industry, we typically extend rooftop curbs a given distance for the anchor bolt locations (dependant on the weight of the unit. I assume the same would go here. I believe you would do the same with a piece of angle correct? What would that distance be?
kayrondad

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08 11 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, forgot the image.

[img][/img]
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08 11 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the angle does is keeps me from welding the axle solid to the frame. Easy removal if need be. So mount your axle where it goes on your frame, I use large welding clamps to hold it in place, and then use the side bolts to put it in tight. Using I-beam, I'd run the angle from the top of the beam down so you can get a good weld on the top beam and also on the lower beam. I'd also gussett it to the beam in the middle for extra support. Put your angle to the inside of the trailer frame. I also gussett the angle so I know it doesn't flex any. I'm a big believer in overkill. I make my angle an inch or so longer on each side of the bolt holes. Use grade 8 bolts and as big a bolt as you can.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: