FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Undercooking Hamburger
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31 11 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay All...

Correct Me if 'Ya like...

It seems that this thread has grown into a Big Pissin' contest.

What started as a question for clarification seems to have turned into a

"I'm Right - Ya'll are Wrong" competition .

IMHO... Cook it and Eat It the Way Ya'll want It.

JMO YMMV MHN.

Best Regards,

Tony

Very Happy
Soapm
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31 11 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PitMattster wrote:
Of course you can take that as just a recommendation.

We found your funny bone!!! Now that's family humor...
feldon30
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07 11 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Undercooking Hamburger Reply with quote

Well I'm late to this party and maybe should have just let sleeping dogs lie.

This thread reeks of stress and taking things seriously. Serious as a heart attack. Ok, I won't quit my day job...

PitMattster wrote:
This is not intended to trash talk anyone, I'm really just looking for clarity.

Why is it that in the States you guys don't properly cook your burgers??

If my only choice is to eat a burger that's been cooked until it is completely grey through and through, I will just order something else (or walk out, if I'm by myself). I consider such a burger to be inedible. Sorry, I'm not gonna pay $10 to eat a hockey puck.

My father lived to his late 70's eating rare steaks, rare burgers, steak tartare, etc. Never once did he get sick on bad meat.

I know food poisoning is bad news, but I think people have totally overreacted. Millions of dollars of spinach was destroyed because a few folks got a tummy ache. More millions of dollars of tomatoes were scrapped for what turned out to be contaminated peppers. I think food safety is important, but you can't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

My personal preference is medium rare steaks and medium hamburgers. I am very picky about where I eat out and unless there is a Fuddrucker's or other high quality burger place, I just eat something else. Any place that prides itself on its sauces rather than fresh burgers (Red Robin) makes me nervous. No different than a BBQ place that hypes their sauces rather than smoking over real wood.
PitMattster wrote:
My understanding regarding beef is that the harmful bacteria that can reside on this type of meat is a surface bacteria, and that as long as you get a good sear onto the meat you have killed off said bacteria making things like a 'blue' steak perfectly fine to eat. However when beef is ground up you distribute the bacteria throughout the meat

You are correct in that once you grind the meat, you have distributed any bacteria throughout the meat, which is why you want a place that uses fresh meat, grinds the meat themselves, and is a very sanitary establishment.

PitMattster wrote:
So with so much care given to pork and poultry, why is caution thrown to the wind with ground beef?

Yeah, every restaurant hopelessly overcooks chicken and usually pork too. I'm not quite sure why they completely obliterate these meats. Some of it is people are still quoting USDA regs from 20 years ago saying to take chicken to 180 and pork to 160. Or maybe they cook it right but after 2 hours under a heat lamp or in a Sham it's deader than dead. At that point, the packaging it came in probably has more flavor.

These days, I make burgers at home. I add shredded parmesan cheese, a few drops of worchestershire sauce, a bit of soy sauce, pepper, and some John Henry's Old Stockyard rub, to freshly ground beef and cook it until just pink in the middle in a cast iron skillet. I usually cook up a couple of sliced onions too.

P.S. I cook chicken to 155 and tent it. I take pork up to 145 and tent it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: