FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about pipe.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
whiskers57

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17 14 1:36 pm    Post subject: Question about pipe. Reply with quote

I may have found some pipe.I think I can get some 24" pipe with 1/2" wall thickness for .10 cents a pound. Question is do ya'll think this would be too heavy for a cooker at about 127# per foot?
SledgeHammer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17 14 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24" dia 1/2" wall?
daaang Laughing

That come out of a power plant or something?
prolly got % chrome in it
Kakhuis

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18 14 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I have a question about the pipes. I live in Italy and everything has zinc cover on it. Now i know zinc is a big no no. I am planing to make 4 hole at the bottem. Two will have caps on and the other two I would like to add a pipe to each and then add the valve. So that I don't have to bed to adjust air in take. Will it be ok to use the zinc coated 374 pipes. The should not get any heat. The are only to let the cold air in.

Any comments ?

Thank you
CarbedNotch

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18 14 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zinc in good for you. Makes the teeth sharp.
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18 14 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: Question about pipe. Reply with quote

whiskers57 wrote:
I may have found some pipe.I think I can get some 24" pipe with 1/2" wall thickness for .10 cents a pound. Question is do ya'll think this would be too heavy for a cooker at about 127# per foot?

I'm going to defer to k.a.m.'s advice if/when he chimes in but here's my take on it;

It's going to take forever and a lot of fuel to get a cooker that thick to warm up. Secondly, you got to have tools with big muscle to lift, cut, drill, and weld on it. Do you have all that at your disposal?
Greasyfingers

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18 14 4:57 am    Post subject: Heavy metal? Reply with quote

Is it going to be mobile or stationary?
If you have access to cheap firewood, machinery to move it around and is stationary I would go for it.
Makes for a great beer chat while cooking with friends
Guess you won't have to worry about the ass rusting out of it and can gift it to your grand kid when you are old and wrinkly.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18 14 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whiskers57, it will be heavy but it is doable.
This cooker I built doors for is .500 wall.
http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=64524

I doubt the pipe has chrome but it may, an easy check is try to cut it with an O/A torch. If it cuts your golden if it does not walk away from it unless you have access to a plasma.

As Smokin Mike said everything about working with the pipe will be a beast. Your doors will be heavy and may need counter weights. As far as heating up it wont be much worse than a cooker that is made from .375 wall. Once you heat her up she will no doubt hold the heat.

Hybrid Cooker
whiskers57

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18 14 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting it built won't be a problem as to the weight, I don't think. But I was thinking, for a 4' cooker, it's going to hit the scales at about 1600lbs just the cook chamber and fire box (ready to cook). Stationary / mobile, haven't decided yet, probably have to go mobile on this one. The wood I can get free. Just have to find time to cut, split, and haul it. That would be a big problem right now. The pipe is gas transmission line so I'm not sure about the chrome content, I can get a plasma cutter, no problem, cuts up to 7/8" I think. I think I'm going to hold off until he can get some 1/4" pipe, just because of the weight of the finished rig. Thanks to everyone for the input. Ya'll are very helpful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: