FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Let's get back to "normal" now

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pigskins
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07 11 12:17 pm    Post subject: Let's get back to "normal" now Reply with quote

The last 2-4 weeks have been awful as far as deals at the local meat markets. They seem to take advantage of the fact that people are having football parties. The prices are not that great, even the sale prices, and they feature chicken wings and other party-type foods. I'm anxious for them to get back to doin what they do best this week - low priced butts, ribs, and beef roasts. I've got a hankerin for some thinly sliced smoked beef. I'm thinking those kinds of foods are not as popular this time of year around here and should be put on sale!
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07 11 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that (easing of prices) is going to happen any time soon...

Quote from : http://www.marketwatch.com/story/usda-food-inflation-to-rise-into-2011-2010-10-25

Quote:
Meat prices have been going up, following a painful restructuring for U.S. meat companies that slashed output and bankrupted smaller hog producers. This has driven up lean hog and live cattle prices in the futures market over the past year. Lean hog prices have begun to ease lately.

Just Google for "price of food going up 2011" and you'll have enough reading to keep you busy for the next week.
pigskins
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07 11 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it great how the "experts" can predict that food prices will go up in 6 months and they magically do? Can these same people please predict that companies will start giving raises to us little people again? Apparently they are very powerful people with more influence than they are aware of!
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08 11 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is a lot to be said for the "lifestyle" that some of our grandparents led. Mine had a root cellar where they kept enough tators and onions to last the winter. They also had a freezer stocked full of meats from the local butcher and vegetables harvested from their garden. I can't remember anybody ever missing a meal. They made do with what they had. I'm afraid that we're going to have to revert back to those times if it gets much worse. It's a matter of survival. There's a lot of things that are totally out of our control. Call it global economics or whatever, but you got to take matters in your own hands and make things work out for you. Be an activist! Buy a whole hog or side of beef and split the cost with your neighbors and family. Plant a garden this spring. There's lots that you can do. I don't consider takin' an azz whoopin at the local grocer as an option.

Anyway.. that's Smokin Mike's editorial for the day.
PhilQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08 11 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prices have been crazy around here lately. Costco had baby backs all the way up to $3.99 a lb last week. Just 3 months ago I was buying for under $3 a lb.[/quote]
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08 11 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not see any signs of prices dropping, I only see them going up and up for many months.

We may see gasoline in excess of $5.00/Gallon by July, so buckle in and hang on for the ride.

Meat prices (especially beef) typically follow petroleum pricing, petroleum is used for fertilizer, transport, harvest, everything really!

and the latest push for more ethanol fuel has really got us hosed right now, especially when it takes 1.6 gallons of petroleum to produce 1 gallon of ethanol for fuel. The grains used for ethanol production increase animal feed prices! and the fed mandate has ethanol content in gasoline going up to 15% real soon. So save you money for vehicle repairs too, especially piston rings, pumps, valves and injectors.

This "Hope and Change" isn't working out too well for me right about now. ( as expected)
pigskins
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08 11 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh. I guess I have to wait another week. This week's specials are posted and it's "Valentine's Week" at the meat market. Sale prices include lobster, shrimp, filet mignon, lamb chops, pizza logs (WTF??)... jeez. I'm hoping for pork butts and chuck roasts so I can make sausage and burgers, and pork loins and ribs. I do see boneless chicken breast on sale for 1.29/lb (by the 40lb case) so it's not all bad I guess.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: