FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Super Weekend
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeepdad
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07 11 11:13 am    Post subject: Super Weekend Reply with quote

Meg and I invited some friends over to watch the game. They have two kiddos and a great Golden Retriever named Jack. Jack is always invited too. My buddy will be deploying soon to AFG for a year. So we are going to look after his wife and kiddos (and Jack) while he is away. He is a great guy will miss him for sure. Anyway, on to the goodies. We decided to do mostly finger food instead of a big brisket or pork butt. Since we had smoked both within the last week. It all started on Saturday.

Meg got the big pot out to make the party mix…I love this stuff.

Pecans added!

The liquid stuff added and stirred. And into the oven it goes!

Out and resting…I mean cooling off.

Mmmmm goodness.

Soaking pinto beans to make some refried beans for nachos for the game.

After soaking over four hours I put them in Big Mama…my Wagner DO.

Added some bacon grease.

Other stuff added.

Smelling good as she cooks down.

Simmering for almost 4 hours at this point.

While I was sitting at my desk working on times and what to have for the game day menu
I heard this loud BOOM! The guys were here up in the attic to replace my HVAC
system that had stopped working. So I ran around the corner and saw insulation on
the stairs….not good.

One of the guys had almost fallen through. I am sure glad he didn’t because it would
have been a long and nasty fall. He was visibly shaken.

I sat a turkey breast out I plan to smoke while everything else is going on tomorrow for
lunches for Meg and me next week.

Meg is making Vodka Slushies. It needs to sit in the freezer for 24 hours and it is so
dang tasty. Even folks that don’t like vodka like these things. Try it! Great refreshing
drink for entertaining.

Next up is a Cajun seasoning for the catfish bites I’m making. Will season the catfish
and let it “marinate” overnight.

Three-four pounds of catfish.

Seasoning.

I love catfish!

Ready for the fridge.

Next up making the nougat for the snickers.

It turns into a dough like mixture.

Placed into a lightly greased pan to go in the fridge to set.

Melting the caramel.

Getting there.

Nuts added.

Added on top of the nougat and goes back in the fridge to set up.

After a couple hours I cut strips into the mixture.

Placed them on parchment paper. Notice Meg stealing a piece!

Cut them into bite sized pieces.

Dipped into milk chocolate and placed into the fridge to harden.

Out of the fridge and placed into an air tight container. It needs a lock on it with all
the hands trying to sneak some!

Another layer.

Up next two pounds of crab meat.

Minced onion, pablano peppers, fresh garlic and spices.

Soften it up in the skillet.

Letting it cool.

Mixture for the veggies and crab meat.

Soon all will be one!

Bought some Louisiana hot sauce today…never tried it before.

Veggies added to the mix.

Meg snapped this picture of me mixing everything together.

The recipe said to make two inch thick crab cakes with straight sides like a hockey
puck. So, I thought why not use my ramekins! Work beautifully as a mold.

Ready for the fridge to sit over night.

Next the Jalapeno Remoulade for the crab cakes. Truthfully, I had to Google
Remoulade. Wiki says it is a French word and is like what I would call tartar sauce.

Diced jalapenos.

I tasted it and man it tasted great. I can’t wait to it sits overnight and blends all those
flavors together.

I feel like I’ve been slicing and dicing all day!

Up next I wash and dried a bunch of apples.

I stuck a couple wooden skewers into each apple and trimmed it with my Leatherman.
Worked like a charm!

Made the mixture in the skillet.

I love candy apples I can’t remember the last time I had one. I hope the kiddos like
them!

The guys patched the hole thankfully.

More stuff tomorrow but I’m whipped and heading for bed. Good night Ringers.

Got up early Sunday morning and made Budweiser’s carrot cake that he made in the
DO throw down..

Dry ingredients plus the carrots.

I tweaked the recipe by adding walnuts.

In the DO ready for the oven.

Since my other DO is full of simmering pintos I used my camp oven by sitting it on a
stone cooking sheet.

Pintos and stuff simmered for 11 hours…smelling right!

Drained and ready for the chopper.

That is a pot of refried beans!

Carrot cake done.

Turned the cake out onto a plate.

Let it cool then added the frosting.

Next up is the Lumpia…it is a Filipino spring roll kinda. But I use leftover pulled pork.

Leftover pulled pork from the freezer.

Chopped up and cabbage, carrots, spring onions and other stuff added.

Onions and garlic getting softened.

Everything in the skillet to blend and cook.

Stuffing cooling off before rolling.

Rolled.

Made three dipping sauces. Bottom left is an orange marmalade sauce, bottom right is
A Thai sauce I got from Mojo Risin it is great. Top sauce is apple vinegar and garlic.

Frying up the Lumpia.

Next up mini-corn dogs. Reg hotdog cut in half.

Coating made and put in a tall glass to dip the dog into before frying.

Catfish out of the fridge and coated.

Into the bacon grease!

Mmmmmmm catfish bites!

Hot pepper jelly over cream cheese with crackers.

Crab cakes getting ready.

Jalapenos to throw on the refried beans.

Carrot cake and snickers.

I still can’t get the frying the rolls right. Work in progress. They look horrible but
taste great!

Crab cakes with the jalapeno remoulade.

Vodka Slushie…spoon into a glass.

Then add Sprite to make it liquidy. Try it you will like it!

I haven’t eaten this much fried food in a long time.

Dang good cake! We chowed and watched the game and chowed more. We told the kiddos they could eat whatever they wanted..they could eat dessert first if they wanted it is Super Bowl Sunday! Toot ate a candy apple and Chex Mix for dinner..and was very happy about it to!

--jeepdad

Crab Cakes with Jalapeño Remoulade
Serves 4

•1 pound best-quality lump crab meat (not pasteurized)
•1 tablespoon butter
•½ small onion, finely chopped
•½ poblano chile, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
•1 garlic clove, minced
•1 teaspoon salt
•¼ teaspoon pure chile powder (like ancho, New Mexico, or chipotle)
•¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
•¼ teaspoon cayenne
•1 egg, lightly beaten
•¼ cup mayonnaise
•1 teaspoon Creole (or whole-grain) mustard
•Several dashes of Louisiana hot sauce
•1 scallion (white and green parts), finely chopped
•2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
•Juice of ½ lemon
•¾ cup fresh bread crumbs
•2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more as needed
•Jalapeño Remoulade (recipe follows)

Place the crab meat in a large mixing bowl and carefully pick through for shells, then set aside.

Melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, poblano, garlic, salt, chile powder, black pepper, and cayenne and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are softened but not brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer the vegetable mixture to a mixing bowl and set aside to cool for about 15 minutes.

Add the crab, the egg, mayonnaise, mustard, hot sauce, scallion, parsley, lemon juice, and ¼ cup of the bread crumbs to the vegetable mixture. Using your hands, gently combine the ingredients.

Using a 1-cup measuring cup, form the mixture into cakes, packing gently; they should look like hockey pucks, about 2 inches thick with straight sides. Cover the cakes and chill for 20 to 30 minutes, or overnight.

When you are ready to cook the crab cakes, place the remaining ½ cup bread crumbs in a pie tin. Dredge both sides of each cake in the crumbs, shaking off the excess. Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot but not smoking, fry the crab cakes for 4 to 5 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Do not overcrowd the pan-fry in batches if necessary, adding more oil if needed. Serve immediately, with Jalapeño Remoulade.

Jalapeño Remoulade
Makes about 1 ¼ cups

For the best results, make this spicy condiment a few hours in advance and then cover and refrigerate, so the flavors have time to develop.

•1 small jalapeño pepper, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
•1 bunch scallions (white parts only), thinly sliced
•1 cup mayonnaise
•½ teaspoon salt
•¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
•¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
•2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
•Juice of 1 lime

Whisk together all the ingredients in a mixing bowl; cover and refrigerate until needed.

Filipino Lumpia
Servings: 15

Ingredients
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 pound ground pork (I use leftover pulled pork or brisket)
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup minced carrots
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/2 cup thinly sliced green cabbage
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon soy sauce
30 lumpia wrappers
2 cups vegetable oil for frying

Directions

1. Place a wok or large skillet over high heat, and pour in 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. Cook pork, stirring frequently, until no pink is showing. Remove pork from pan and set aside. Drain grease from pan, leaving a thin coating. Cook garlic and onion in the same pan for 2 minutes. Stir in the cooked pork, carrots, green onions, and cabbage. Season with pepper, salt, garlic powder, and soy sauce. Remove from heat, and set aside until cool enough to handle.

2. Place three heaping tablespoons of the filling diagonally near one corner of each wrapper, leaving a 1 1/2 inch space at both ends. Fold the side along the length of the filling over the filling, tuck in both ends, and roll neatly. Keep the roll tight as you assemble. Moisten the other side of the wrapper with water to seal the edge. Cover the rolls with plastic wrap to retain moisture.

3. Heat a heavy skillet over medium heat, add oil to 1/2 inch depth, and heat for 5 minutes. Slide 3 or 4 lumpia into the oil. Fry the rolls for 1 to 2 minutes, until all sides are golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve immediately.

Comments:
If uneven browning occurs while frying try adding 2 Tbsp sugar to the water for the wraps while prepping and stir to dissolve. (This helps the rice paper turn golden when fried and crispier texture.

Mojo Thai Dipping Sauce

1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 Tablespoon fish sauce
1 red chili, chopped

Simmer for 5 minutes, enough to dissolve the sugar. Then cool.

Add:
1 Tablespoon chopped peanuts
1/4 carrot, finely chopped
1/4 cucumber, seeded and finely chopped

Lumpia or Coconut Shrimp Dip

1/2 cup orange marmalade
1 Tbs horseradish
2 tsps Dijon mustard
2 tsps lemon juice
1/4 tsp hot sauce
1/4 tsp salt

Garlic Cider Dip

Crush 4 cloves of garlic in a cup of apple cider vinegar, let sit for a few hours.

Budweiser’s DO Carrot Cake

2 Cups Flour
1 3/4 Cups Sugar
2 teaspoons Baking Soda
2 teaspoons Cinnamon
1 teaspoon Salt
3/4 Cup Oil
2 Eggs
3/4 Cup Water
2 Cups grated Carrots
Walnuts (optional)

Mix dry ingredients. Add carrots and other ingredients. Mix well and set aside.

Filling
8 oz Cream Cheese at room temperature
1/2 Cup Sugar
1 Egg

Cream together filling until smooth.

Pour 1/3 Cake Batter into well oiled or lined Dutch Oven (I use foil or line the bottom with parchment paper).
Add filling, then pour in the rest of the batter.

Bake in 350 degree Dutch Oven for 50-60 minutes.

Cool and top with Icing.

Cream Cheese Icing
4 oz Cream Cheese
1/4 Cup Butter or Margarine (Softened)
2 Cups Powdered Sugar

Mix together until smooth. Add a few drops of water or milk if needed.

Catfish Fried in Bacon Fat

1 Cup White Cornmeal
1/3 Cup All Purpose Flour
1 Tablespoon Salt
¼ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper (or more to taste)
¼ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
1/8 teaspoon Ground White Pepper
2 (12 oz) Catfish Fillets, sliced into two inch chunks
6 Tablespoons rendered Bacon fat

Whisk together the cornmeal and flour in a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together the salt, black pepper, cayenne, and white pepper. Sprinkle the catfish with the seasonings and allow the fish to “marinate” for at least 10 minutes at room temperature, or cover with plastic and refrigerate even longer (up to 1 day is fine). This step will make the fish “sweat,” giving it some moisture for the flour to cling to.

When you are ready to cook, toss the catfish pieces with the cornmeal mixture. Transfer the catfish pieces to a plate or baking sheet, dusting off excess flour.

Heat the bacon fat in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle a bit of cornmeal in the fat to test the heat; It will be hot enough when there is instant foam and a nice sizzle. Add half of the fillets, dropping the fish away from you so you don’t splatter yourself, and cook until evenly golden brown, 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove the first batch with a slotted spatula, drain them on paper towels, and immediately add the second batch and repeat. I like to give the fillets an extra grinding of black pepper when they come out of the fat.

Serve the fried fish immediately, with your favorite coleslaw and spicy cocktail sauce.

Mini Corn Dogs
Makes 16 mini corn dogs or 8 regular.

Batter Ingredients
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup yellow corn meal
1/3 cup white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1 teaspoon paprika (I used my homemade paprika)
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup yellow mustard
1 egg
2 tsp vegetable oil

8 beef hot dogs, cut in half
16 bamboo skewers

Instructions
Mix the dry batter ingredients in a mixing bowl. Add in the liquid ingredients and mix thoroughly, then allow to sit for a few minutes.

TIP: The reason for cutting the hot dogs in half is so they will fit better in most home deep fryers or a pot. It just makes them more manageable.

Preheat a deep fryer or dutch oven with 2" deep of oil to 375f.

TIP: Make sure you wipe the dogs dry before dipping them. This will minimize those eruptions in the crust where it breaks open during frying.

TIP: It's easiest to dip the dogs in something tall and narrow. A pilsner glass is perfect for this.

Dip the dogs and twirl for a few seconds to let the excess batter slide off. Place gently into the hot oil and allow to fry for 2 minutes for a texture that is golden brown and a little soft or 3 minutes for a darker and crispier crust. It's a preference thing.

Old Fashioned Candy Apples

Makes 8 Servings

Ingredients

8 Apples
Parchment Paper
8 Lollipop Sticks
2 Cups Sugar
¾ Cup Water
½ Cup Light Corn Syrup
½ Teaspoon Red Food Coloring
4 Drops Cinnamon Extract

1. Wash and dry apples.

2. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.

3. Insert a lollipop stick into the stem end of each apple.

4. Add sugar, water and corn syrup to discada; mix well.

5. Using a candy thermometer, measure temperature until it reaches 290 degrees; turn discada off.

6. Add food coloring and cinnamon extract to discada; mix well.

7. Rotate apples into candy mixture until completely covered (may have to use a spoon to cover apple completely).

8. Place apples on cookie sheet and let cool.

Options:

1. After Step 7 roll apples in chopped nuts, M&Ms, peppermint whatever you like.

2. To make eight caramel apples do steps 1-3 above. Then over high heat, cook 3/4 cup of heavy cream, 3/4 cup of light corn syrup, 1 stick of unsalted butter, and 1 cup of sugar to 280 degrees F; at this point the syrup will be golden. Remove from the heat and carefully swirl in 1/4 cup of heavy cream and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Use caution; this is very hot and it may splatter. Continue with steps 7 and 8.

Snickers

2 tablespoons water
¼ cup light corn syrup
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons peanut butter
Dash of salt
3 cups powdered sugar (I back off and use a little over 2 cups)
35 unwrapped Kraft caramels
1 cup (or two 3.5 ounce packages) dry-roasted salted peanuts
Two 12-ounce bags milk chocolate chips

With the mixer on high speed, combine 1 tablespoon water, corn syrup, butter, vanilla, peanut butter, and salt until creamy. Slowly add the powdered sugar.

When the mixture has the consistency of dough, remove it from bowl with your hands and press it into a lightly greased 9 x 9 inch pan. Set in the fridge.

Melt the caramels in a small pan with two tablespoons water over low heat.

When the caramel mix is soft, mix in the nuts. Pour the mixture over the refrigerated nougat in the pan. Let this cool in the fridge.

When the refrigerated mixture is firm, melt the chocolate over low heat in a double broiler or in the microwave set on high for two minutes. Stir halfway through cooking time.

When the mixture in the pan has hardened, cut into 4x1 inch sections.

Dip each chunk into the melted chocolate removing any excess. Place the chunks on wax paper to cool at room temperature….could take several hours but the bars set best this way. You can speed up the process by putting the bars in the fridge for thirty mins.

Makes about two dozen bars.

Vodka Slushie

7 Cups Water
1 Cup Sugar
12 oz can OJ Frozen
12 oz can Lemonade Frozen
2 Cups Vodka

On the stovetop melt the sugar in the water. Cut stove off add remaining ingredients. Put in container and freeze 24 Hours. Serve. If drink is too thick dilute with a little 7Up or Sprite, Sprite Zero.

Last edited by jeepdad on Mon Feb 07 11 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07 11 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You freak me out Dan when you start cooking all these goodies,man everything looks great right down to the vodka slushies,very nice spread indeed Dan,I really think you cook those sweets for yourself and not the kiddos. Very Happy Great post,great pics,nice job. Very Happy
Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
Two of the fastest Thermapens ever made ... Black& Blue
LIAR #25
erniesshop
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07 11 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan.................
That is just OVER THE TOP !!!!!!!!
Be sure and let your Friend Know , That Sweety and I Thank Him for Serving Our Country.........
And That we will be praying for his safe return home to his Family !
Ernie
killswitch505
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07 11 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan you gotta call me when you cook like this i will make the drive Shocked Very Happy
MacEggs
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07 11 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian Bacon wrote:
You freak me out Dan when you start cooking all these goodies,man everything looks great right down to the vodka slushies,very nice spread indeed Dan,I really think you cook those sweets for yourself and not the kiddos. Very Happy Great post,great pics,nice job. Very Happy

What CB said! Wow! Shocked Very Happy

The cookers (so far).
Some Weber kettles of various age, color and size
UDS & Mini UDS
Abby Normal ECB
Napoleon Propane Grill
BigPhil32
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07 11 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto what everyone else has said - outstanding!!! Thanks for sharing the recipes, especially the Lumpia. I made some spring rolls earlier this week with some of Roxy's coleslaw and left over chicken and pork, and they were awesome! Another great cook...thanks for sharing!
Smoking since November of 2009...
Tombigbeeriverdawg
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07 11 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAMN.
You go Transplant.
KCBS CBJ
ckone
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07 11 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was epic!!! Great job as always.
Uncle John
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07 11 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy Moly Shocked
Nice spread and pic heavy.
You have certainly been a busy man.
How did you have time to watch the game?
Discada
rodneymeatsnsweets
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07 11 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeepdad WOW! I am speachless. Thanks for sharing your awesome cook with us all. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
zski
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07 11 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. That is a culinary overload right there. Looking at all the different cooking methods and styles. All the time and effort. The prepping the cooking and most importantly the eating. I'm about to blow a fuse. Great job.

Traeger 075
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07 11 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan...

My Jaw is still Hangin',Man! Simply Speechless! Shocked

I watched Your Post so many times, I was late for my Eye exam! Laughing

Great Eats,Dude...Creativity is not lost in the Jeepdad House! Wink

Thanks for the Show! Cool

Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy
RLane22
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07 11 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Dan i replace my keyboard twice just going through this post. Great Job and thanks for sharing.

Ran

Slow Down and take the time to enjoy the good things in life.

1st build

2nd build
Big Bears BBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07 11 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outstanding job..................great lay out on the pics and info ......
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07 11 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeezzus!!! You guys NEVER do anything half azzed. I about went through the monitor going after the snickers. So ya'll need a house boy???.... will work for food. Very Happy
Hell Fire Grill
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07 11 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faa kiiiiiin Ayyy JD!! What a spread.

If I was there I'da never been able to leave, cause theres no way I would fit through the door after clearing the table.
Big Ron
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07 11 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Jeepdad Dan's Cook Book"!!!! Coming soon. . . . Cool

Another amazing cook!
www.bigronswebsite.com

(Find Big Ron's Rub on Facebook)
Big Ron's Custom Reverse Flow Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQxbfOx_MOE
Mr. Mojo Risin'
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07 11 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!

I don't make mistakes...just understandable bad choices.

Oklahoma Joe's Longhorn Smoker
ProBBQ Excel 20
Geronimo
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07 11 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious...how long did all that take (all added up) start to finish to prepare and cook??

Was it just you or did you have (20) elf helping you??? Shocked Shocked Laughing Laughing
nobones

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07 11 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love how the hole in the ceiling was only but a minor interuption, and then you were Right back to the GREAT looking Food! -Looks like it did not phase you one bit!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: