FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wild Hog...Need Help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
slapout
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16 11 4:01 am    Post subject: Wild Hog...Need Help Reply with quote

I know this shouldn't go in the Cooker section but you guys were a lot of help to me last year when I built my smoker. With a 2.5 year old and a new baby last month, my smoker time has been almost non-existent. I've finally got a little free time this weekend so the guys and I are loading up and heading to the camphouse. We couldn't have planned the weather better either. One of the guys just killed a wild hog (105# live weight). He has skinned and gutted it and put it on ice. We are estimating the weight to be around 65#. We plan to smoke it Saturday using Pecan wood.

Question 1, how long is too long to keep a carcass on ice (draining the water of course)?
Question 2, should we cut this pig up and cook the parts seperate or cook it whole? I'd rather cook it whole but I'm afraid of drying out the smaller cuts.
I've read about racing style but not sure the difference in that and just a butterflied hog.
What about foil timing, internal temps, layering with bacon, stuffing cavity with boston butt?
All suggestions are welcome.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16 11 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22364

I still work here!
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16 11 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slapout, keeping the pig on ice that long should not be a problem just make sure it stays super cold. Wild pig and warm temps do not mix well for long.
SoEzzy posted the perfect link that being BBQMAN's Pig Roast 101. Personally on a wild pig and a bunch of guys not worried about presentation I would quarter the pig and rub it down with your favorite rub. Then have a good apple juice mop ready to keep it moist. Wild pig has very little internal fat and dries out quickly. Once the quarters reach an internal temp of 165 I would wrap them till they reach an internal temp of 200, the same goes for the ribcage. Then just pull and enjoy. Smile

Hybrid Cooker
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16 11 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Racing style set in a homemade aluminum foil roasting tray/pan. Fill with cheap red wine and onions for a no frill deal. You still have to serve it with an Apple in its mouth tho. Smile
Stacked smoker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17 11 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an observation from when I did my first whole hog. The skin doesnt allow much smoke flavor into the meat. We pulled it and put it back on the smoker to keep warm and it added a lot of smoke flavor into the meat. Looking foreward to pics of when its done.
Lang 84 deluxe
Twin stacked reverse flow cheese smoker
Weber grill
jrose

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17 11 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good! I am only a couple of hours away if you need help gettn rid of that thing.
I shot one a couple weeks ago, it was a little smaller, but there wasnt enough meat on the ribs for much of anything so I kept the back quarters for smoking and grilled the backstraps (Uncle Ted Style), And deboned the rest and made a little sausage.
The problem with skinning a hog is you loose all the fat that keeps them from drying out. We have both skinned them and scalded them and scalding is more work but it works alot better for smoking a whole pig.
We always split them, laid them on there back and use a mop to keep them from drying out.

Good Luck from Southern Alabama!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: