FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Burger King smoke...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geronimo
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22 11 7:01 am    Post subject: Burger King smoke... Reply with quote

Why (or should I say HOW) is it that BK pushes out that WONDERFUL smell of "just on the hot grill burgers"??

Today I had to make a run to my local Safeway (made some cookies & needed butter flavored shortening .. ) Wink and on the other side of their parking lot is a BK.

It was 11:10 AM and was THREE cars in their parking lot (I am thinking where they were parked, they were employees) and their smoke stack (I thought restaurants were required to use scrubbers?) was pushing out that HUGE smoke stream....HOW DO THEY DO THAT??? Shocked Shocked

I am certain they did NOT just throw on a bunch of burgers as there were no cars around (even the drive through was empty). Shocked

BTW...down the road a half block at M/D's they had ZERO smoke and had SEVEN cars in their drive through (could not see the parking lot as it was on the other side of the building).

I am "guessing" they have a machine that pumps/injects a liquid of some kind over the grill area and the exhaust fans sucks it out to be emitted into the air to try to bring customers in??? Shocked Shocked
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22 11 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BK uses a char grill (open flame grill with grates above) and McD's uses a standard flat top. The char grill smokes as meat juices & fat drip and incinerate below. A flat top only smokes if something is burning on it. That's why a BK burger tastes much better than a McD burger.

That smoke is real as far as I know. A char grill will have a tendency to smoke even when no food is present...especially when it isn't spotlessly clean.
Geronimo
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22 11 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have to sit outside one (across the street) and time the smoke intervals. this one lasted about 30 seconds or so and quits completely for a spell and then goes off again for the same amount of time....just seems like it is controlled but I could be wrong.
Fig Pucker
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22 11 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhh...my first job many years ago was cleaning the grill at BK.

As Pit Boss said, BK has a flame grill; it's actually a convayer belt/rack that rolls over the flames. One end a kid places frozen hamburger pucks on the converor rack and about 3 minutes later on the other side, out rolls a cooked burger complete with grill marks (well on one side). So the smoke is real.
Kteedid63
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22 11 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McDonalds uses a microwave the food is precooked thats why its so mushy and you dont need teeth to eat it oh yeah and the amount of Soy thats used in it too ,, and thats why it has that brownish grey color to it.

TomCat BBQ team
KAKid
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23 11 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my "Wendy's" experience many moons ago, I can see several possibilities. We had 4 exhaust hoods (2 grills, fryer bank, back kitchen stove/oven). Even at that time of day a lot of prep work is being done like cooking chili and baking potatoes on back stove/oven, frying bacon and pregrilling chix(Wendy's doesn't/didn't use precooked from supplier stuff and no microwaves). Especially this time of year, the heat (even residual) coming out of the exhausts can hit the cooler outside air, condensing, causing "smoke". Or maybe not. Wink

Chargriller Outlaw w/SFB and Mods
Pair of UDS's
10 gal CI Chili/Jambalaya pot
patruns
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23 11 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pit Boss wrote:
BK uses a char grill (open flame grill with grates above) and McD's uses a standard flat top. The char grill smokes as meat juices & fat drip and incinerate below. A flat top only smokes if something is burning on it. That's why a BK burger tastes much better than a McD burger.

That smoke is real as far as I know. A char grill will have a tendency to smoke even when no food is present...especially when it isn't spotlessly clean.

In Manhattan, BK uses a microwave....... Rolling Eyes

Char-Griller Outlaw with SFB
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber Q 220
LIAR#49
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: