FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Weber-How do I add a thermometer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27 06 8:27 pm    Post subject: Weber-How do I add a thermometer Reply with quote

Am going to try a brisquet this Sunday-have been reading as much on the forum as possible-don't have a smoker yet and am going to start the brisquet on my weber and then move it to an inside cooker that we have which has four ovens, one of which keeps a very steady 225 degrees. I know that's cheating, but not sure I want to tend the weber for 10 hours.
At any rate, how can I install a thermometer on my small weber and can one be purchased at one of the big box stores? Any help with the thermometer or the brisquet cooking will be appreciated.

adman

Am cooking for my wife, mother and sister so if it tastes like dog meat I haven't lost a bunch of good friends. They'll say they like it regardless.
Pardon the spelling.
bbqblue
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28 06 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you are referring to a Weber kettle. I use a candy thermometer on mine. You can place it in one of the three vent holes on the lid. The face stays cool and sits better if you push the stem through some cork (take a wine bottle cork, cut off about half an inch and then drill a hole through the centre to take the stem).

A properly set up kettle will run for a considerable amount of time unattended. Here's guide to setting one up:

adman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31 06 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the sketch of the Weber-mine is a smaller model, bot I had to improvise. It did juse the thermometer in the cork ide and it works like a champ-also used other corks to control the heat. I cooked a brisket on
Sunday-it looked so good and tasted like horse meat. Everyone was polite and told me it was great, but abunch of it hit the trash. I either let it dry out or cooked it too long, although the meat thermometer registered 190, but it looked awefully well done to me. Back do the drawing board. 9 hrs is a long time to spend to have a failure. Will be trying one again soon-hope this time I get it right.

adman
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10 06 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some good recipes for brisket here.

The night before, I cover in hot sauce and dry rub and wrap in plastic. I leave in the fridge overnight, and take out about an hour before it goes into the smoker. I cook full size brisket 12-14 pounders. If you go with a smaller chunk, the cook times will be less!

I normally cook mine in the smoker for about 10 hrs at 225-250 with a pound of bacon across the top. Take off the bacon (save for baked beans) wrap in foil with some of your favorite bbq sauce. Cook another 3-4 hours, and you should be good to go!
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11 06 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

while the temp read 190 you were probably getting a lot of radiant heat from the coals especially if you were cooking on a weber smaller than the 22.5" model...
adman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13 06 9:02 pm    Post subject: Smoking on a Weber Reply with quote

DawgPhan

Am I just wasting my time trying to smoke on a small Weber? Can you explain the radiant heat thing to me. I have been reading about brisket on this site for months and , as I stated in an earlier post, mine tasted like dog meat. Am sure I overcooked it. Do plan on getting it right and am going to buy a smoker some time this winter.

adman

PS I'm a tarheel alum and am glad it's finally basketball season-football season was pretty painful. At least I've got Ohio State Michigan to watch this weekend.
Cactus1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11 07 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my Weber 1 Touch as a smoker often.
I use a Pyrex instant read thermometer in the bottom right top vent and a Pyrex oven thermometer on the cooking surface. Have found that this works pretty good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Grilling All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: