FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Stump's has begun (finished pics 7-18)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat May 14 11 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the numbers you are seeing is a fire rating.It won't protect above that temp.
Depending on how far along you are.I would set up your chute/firebox unit as a bolt on unit instead of welding.I have read many people that have had a burn though or other need repair that wished they had,instead of having to cut up half the smoker to fix the ash box.also they say screws or pop rivets for the outer skin in that area.(same reason).
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
mwells
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat May 14 11 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
mwells, I wonder if you spoke to the same nice lady I spoke with. she never said C.or F. just 450. So am I to understand that the stuff at Lowes is acceptable or is there another vendor you would have to get the commercial grade from. I understood her to say the Lowes stuff was a no go but you should use the commercial grade instead.

I didn't ask about the residential grade stuff they sell at lowes, just referenced it in my email. It sounds like it would work from her response. But she also said that the afb would be best if I was using a batting style. She gave the other product if I wanted a rigid board. I found a place online the sells the afb for 35 a bundle. I think 2 bundles will be enough with a little to spare.
mwells
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat May 14 11 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daddywoofdawg wrote:
I think the numbers you are seeing is a fire rating.It won't protect above that temp.
Depending on how far along you are.I would set up your chute/firebox unit as a bolt on unit instead of welding.I have read many people that have had a burn though or other need repair that wished they had,instead of having to cut up half the smoker to fix the ash box.also they say screws or pop rivets for the outer skin in that area.(same reason).

It would take a major redesign at this point. I have seen guys do a bolt on but it's pretty tough. Most guys that have burn through had the original stumps which had a 1/4 in thick chute. My firebox portion is 1/2 inch. I do t see having a problem in my lifetime.

As far as attaching the skin, I riveted the last one. But I want this one sealed so I am going to weld it. No matter how you do it, if you gotta get inside it's gonna be a pain the behind. I'd rather have it sealed to outside moisture than plan to maybe have to get inside one day.
mwells
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun May 15 11 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New pics and progress. We got the inside skins cut, broke and welded in. We decided to build it in separate pieces, but with a flap bent over at each corner so that we could screw each piece together. That saved a lot of time welding the seams. We welded some, especially in the floor, but mostly we used sheet metal screws.

In the floor, we broke a V in the bottom. We also sloped the floor from the firebox end to the opposite side. I'll take better pics next time.

We also got the transfer tube welded in. I went with a 4 inch round, instead of the 5 inch. I couldn't get any 3x5, and there shouldn't be much difference in the two. Ordering insulation and gaskets tonight. Hopefully it will be in by the weekend, and I can get the outside skins on.

mwells
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri May 20 11 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to Austin today and picked up the insulation. I called them about Roxul AFB which is a batting insulation that the rep at Roxul recommended to me for this use.

When I got home, I noticed that it was I didn't get the AFB, but Roxul RHT 80, which is a board style high temp insulation. It was the other type that was recommended, so I should be good. I was just excited to have it loaded up, I really wanted to drive out to the shop and work some but I had things to do around the house. So I did the right thing and got my chores done, the reward is nothing to do this weekend but work on the pit.
mwells
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue May 24 11 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good day yesterday. I went Thursday and picked up the insulation. Yesterday we got the outer skins cut, insulation put in and the skins hung. We ran out of welding wire, so the skins are held in place for now with screws. I am going to weld all the seams so that it is water tight. We were able to break it on two corners so we just have two corner seams and the top to weld. Coming along nice. I wish I could just go work on it for a couple days, I think I could get it done.

This pic is the cooker up on the lift so we could weld on the bottom. Much easier than flipping it over.

Here is the side.

And the front.

mwells
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue May 24 11 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, heating up some left over pulled pork to make tostadas, just for some inspiration.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed May 25 11 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mwells, your cooker is really taking shape. Very Happy I could do some damage with a shop and a lift. Laughing I will be watching for more pics and updates. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
mwells
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 25 11 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you could. May have come in handy when you were mounting that tank on the trailer. With the holiday weekend coming up, not sure how much will get done. Hopefully I can squeeze in one day in the shop. If I had my way, I'd be there all three days, and could probably get done. But it would be pretty cold at home when I returned.
mwells
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08 11 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got to work two straight days. I had two days off before summer school starts. Made some nice progress.

Here is how it sits after today, racks installed and door for the ash box ready to hang. And yes, before anyone says anything the bottom rack is sloped. I now know that am 8th bubble will equal about a half inch fall over 3 feet. Since the floor is sloped, I had to use a level on the rack to get it straight. I was mounting the runners by myself, and I guess I got off a little. Its not too bad though. I don't think my sausages will roll off the rack.

Here's a close up of the racks, with anti-tippers. I capped the front with angle iron. Not really necessary, but I think it makes them look nicer when they are slid all the way in.

Here is the drain. Went in nicely, Should work fine.

These next couple pics show the drop down legs we installed. The wheels just wont make it long, so we built these so that we can pull up the legs to roll it around, then drop them back down to provide support. They work pretty well and are very stable.

The chute door. That piece of angle is my ground point so that I could weld the skins on. They aren't mounted yet, just posing for the pic.

This is the firebox end. I brought the valve out the side. I think it will provide the Stoker fan some protection since it isn't in the ashbox door. You can also see the other drop down legs.

Still have to build the cook chamber door, mount the exhaust and weld on the top. May get to work some Friday.
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08 11 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the legs,but do you jack it up to use them or what is there use?
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08 11 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mwells your cooker is looking fantastic. Very Happy I look forward to seeing some more pics and updates. Very Happy Good idea with the legs they will save some aggravation when the tires start to leak and fail.

Hybrid Cooker
mwells
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08 11 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I use a bottle jack to lift up one end and drop the legs. I will only need to do it a couple times a year, so it should be fine.
1buckie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08 11 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cooker looks GRATE !!!
Where,pray tell, did you get the "drop down wheels"
as I've been looking for those for a couple of YEARS
& not found any.
Need them for an entirely different use,
but I believe those type would do the trick !!!

Any help on that greatly appreciated

~~>K
mwells
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08 11 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wheels are not drop down. The legs are able to slide down then we pin them. We made them just long enough to get the wheels off the ground and take the weight off them. I bet you could fab something though.
1buckie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08 11 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got some stuff that you can hit w/a cutting torch
& when taken away a) is not damaged & b) cools to the touch in 2-3 seconds !!!! not kidding !!!
Looks like white fiberglass insulation, but will take EXTREME heat

Found it at a ceramics supply store; it's used for wrapping ceramic kilns

Will try to get more specific info if you'd like, guys
~>K
1buckie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08 11 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see now, read more carefully Thanks for the quick reply

I'm not all that much of a fabber, this is for the boss's large
work table that we need to move back & forth from time to time
We'll figure something out !!!
Thanks again
~>K
mwells
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13 11 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New pics after working today. It seems like it is crawling along, but alot of the things we are doing now are very detailed. We did get the top welded on too. We full welded the seams to make it water tight. I have a tone of grinding to do though. Makes for a nice edge though.

Here is the chut door welded on. I used RTV to seal around the frame and the chute. We were tired of welding.

Chute door latch. I like the bigger ones much better.

Side shot of the chute door.

Here's a twist. I put in a tube to feed my temp probes through. If it lets put too much smoke or heat, we can weld it up. I think it will be much better than running them through the door.

Exhaust stack. We put a bird house on it. I will do some shaping and smoothing before it gets paint.

Shot of the front. Next gotta hang the ash box door and build the cook chamber door.

And a shot down the mouth of the beast. It's begging for some fuel.

Hopefully we will have the doors hung and can run a test fire next time. Not sure when that will be though with Father's Day coming up. Gonna spend some time with the kids.
BRBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13 11 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang!
mwells
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19 11 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got another good day in and a milestone reached. We got the cook chamber door built and hung, ashbox door hung, and some grinding started. We got to start a fire too. Boy it was great to see some smoke rolling. It came up to temp, and with the stoker locked in at 225. We bumped it up to 300, and in less than 15 minutes we were there. Now just gotta get the welds grinded and get some paint on her. It sure was great t smell some smoke though.

Here is the door mounted with the slam latch. I really like this latch, a great upgrade.

And the smoke. Yes, it was very white, but had just started the fire. I had to go before it settled down, but Wes assured me it did and was running fine.

I really like the way the ashbox door works on the front.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: