FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Attacking the Bar B Que Business from another route.(pics)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moe's Famous
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25 11 12:59 pm    Post subject: Attacking the Bar B Que Business from another route.(pics) Reply with quote

Last edited by Moe's Famous on Tue Apr 26 11 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25 11 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! What market(s) are your products currently in, and which other ones are they planned to be in?

The stores in this area have "LLoyds" and "No Name" products. I have had both, and the no-name was decent except it was more of a cured and hot-smoked product. Lloyds tasted boiled and drowned in sauce.
Geronimo
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25 11 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:
Very nice! What market(s) are your products currently in, and which other ones are they planned to be in?

The stores in this area have "LLoyds" and "No Name" products. I have had both, and the no-name was decent except it was more of a cured and hot-smoked product. Lloyds tasted boiled and drowned in sauce.

Ain't that the truth? Shocked Shocked

Wanting to find out what they were all about, I too "tried" some Lloyd's....once Shocked Shocked I thought they should of called it "BBQ sauce with SOME meat". (pulled pork) Shocked

I wound up returning the product to the store where I purchased it. Shocked

Mo, your label looks awesome, I hope your product is awesome and does well for you in the big world of retail BBQ sales.
Teleking
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25 11 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geronimo wrote:

Mo, your label looks awesome, I hope your product is awesome and does well for you in the big world of retail BBQ sales.

Until the HD catches up with him:

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=46964&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20

YMMV, good luck Wink

“The Bride of Franken Smoker”
RodinBangkok
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25 11 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was curious about this also, as I noticed no upc bar codes on the product, or a nutri fact desc. Did a quick google and only found one reference to a consulting company in parkland tx as a source. Buyer beware!
Moe's Famous
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26 11 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RodinBangkok wrote:
Was curious about this also, as I noticed no upc bar codes on the product, or a nutri fact desc. Did a quick google and only found one reference to a consulting company in parkland tx as a source. Buyer beware!

LOL you guy's read into things a little bit too much. Also, I'm not in Parkland, Texas(LOL) I haven't started selling my bottle products yet. I'm merly developing the packaging and building a solid customer base. The package you see is a proto-type I made Thursday. Thats not the label that will go on the package. Trust it will have all the proper information on it. I've been in the music business for more than 12 years and more than 500 cds I put out. Trust me I have a UCC Membership Certificate. I'm waiting on my test to come back for the Health Department, so I can move forward on my Venture. Thanks for the advice, from the ones that thought they were giving advice. When it comes to business, I'm no rookie. Started 12 years ago with $463.00. of Un-employement check...Never worked a day since. Thanks to all the other guys that commented on the labels. Thanks. I will post the finally label once all the information comes back.

http://i54.tinypic.com/2nv5nw8.jpg
Moe's Famous
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26 11 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teleking wrote:
Geronimo wrote:

Until the HD catches up with him:

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=46964&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20

YMMV, good luck Wink

Thanks for teaching me how competition thinks. You're not mine, just something I will keep in mind.
Soapm
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26 11 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Moe's Famous"]
RodinBangkok wrote:
When it comes to business, I'm no rookie. Started 12 years ago with $463.00. of Un-employement check...Never worked a day since..

Tell me you haven't been on unemployment for 12 years. That would really suck. Hope your business takes off and good luck...
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26 11 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PMPNLT650pxOTLS!

I still work here!
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26 11 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPC.com offers UPC at a very reasonable rate.

A few comments, because I looked into what you are trying to do:

1st off the HD doesn't get involved in pre-packaged meats.

You will need to have federally inspected production facility, and the product plant cannot be associated with a raunt or other business.

The famous rib houses that ship have their own commercial kitchens for that end of their business.

Vac packed meats also require a HAACP plan and a variance for anaerobic packaging in place.

A NSF rated cooker will be mandatory.

How do I know this?

When the HD went through my menu at my website they commented that the shipped foods (cold) were not in their jurisdiction, but if I was ever to be questioned it's a federal issue, not local.

The restrictions are less so for the sauce because unless the PH is above 4.7 or so it's a shelf-stable product that can be hot packed and your good to go.

But they still need to be co-packed (unless you own a packing facility) by a Dept of Ag certified facility as well.

Been there, done that, I now have commercially bottled sauce.

YMMV, check with the regulatory authorities before spending big $$$.
Teleking
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26 11 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe's Famous wrote:
Trust me I have a UCC Membership Certificate.

And that has what to do with food safety?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_Commercial_Code

I guess Wiki failed to mention the Article on food safety. Maybe that is Article 10 that didn’t get mentioned. Rolling Eyes

Since your competitors might be doing things the right way here is another good read for ya:

http://www.pickyourown.org/sell_your_homecanned_food.htm

Last time I checked CD’s don’t give people food poisoning.

Just sayin, YMDefiantlyDoesVary

Good Luck with your business plan as you seem to be on the right track to undercut the competition.

Cheers

“The Bride of Franken Smoker”
Raine
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26 11 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can bottle our sauce at home, but we have be inspected by the USDA.
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26 11 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raine wrote:
We can bottle our sauce at home, but we have be inspected by the USDA.

I've truly never heard that as being a possibility- anywhere.

Baked goods (low risk foods) USED TO BE the exception to the rule (here).

Not anymore............................
Raine
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26 11 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to what the USDA told us. You gotta go through a bunch of hoops. But based on the ph of our sauce, that's what they told us. It's a bit of a hassle, and we figured out we really can't produce it any cheaper than the bottler. So we let them do all the work.
thsmoker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26 11 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those look pretty good Moe. What would the heating instructions be for the ribs?
ecocks
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27 11 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you're on track to a different aspect of BBQ Moe.

Having a UPC Code and your experience in CD distribution are probably good experiences in your background for this project.

Packaging looks distinctive but not like something put together by some slick advertising huckster to over-hype a brand.

Getting an approved kitchen shouldn't be too difficult. If all else fails, there are facilities out there which do it for guys I know in Memphis and Illinois.

Best of luck!
Moe's Famous
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27 11 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thsmoker wrote:
Those look pretty good Moe. What would the heating instructions be for the ribs?
You would need to heat them until their 165 degrees before serving. Beings that they are already cook. Holding tempt. is 135 degrees.
Moe's Famous
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27 11 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecocks wrote:
Sounds like you're on track to a different aspect of BBQ Moe.

Having a UPC Code and your experience in CD distribution are probably good experiences in your background for this project.

Packaging looks distinctive but not like something put together by some slick advertising huckster to over-hype a brand.

Getting an approved kitchen shouldn't be too difficult. If all else fails, there are facilities out there which do it for guys I know in Memphis and Illinois.

Best of luck!
Thanks...My Uncle is the guy that set up all the Frenchy's Chickens in Houston, Texas. My gaps that I don't know, are being filled by his knowledge/experince. I am in no rush to fail. Trust me, I'm thinking this all the way through. But, this will be my last post until my concept comes to finish. I wanted to show more when it come to designs and lay-outs. But, I see this isn't the time. Thanks again.
Soapm
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27 11 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe's Famous wrote:
thsmoker wrote:
You would need to heat them until their 165 degrees before serving. Beings that they are already cook. Holding tempt. is 135 degrees.

We have a large oval DO with a rack in the bottom that does a great job of reheating ribs etc... The steam keeps the meat moist without cooking it further. I don't know what you're recommended heating instructions will be but that makes all the difference between perfect and overcooked ribs...

Most of these type products are consumed by non-cooks so don't go sparingly on the reheating tips...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: