FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Southern Pride and Mac n Cheese

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Punky

PostPosted: Mon May 02 11 11:15 am    Post subject: Southern Pride and Mac n Cheese Reply with quote

This is actually two separate topics, got a couple questions for all you Pros out there.
1) I have an older Southern Pride smoker, an XLR-350, bought it used in like new condition. It is awesome and a fantastic piece of equipment, but it does have a glitch I'm trying to figure out. It will come up to heat and work perfect for a while, then periodically it won't "cycle", i.e won't hold heat when its supposed to. I believe it trys to fire, but after a couple tries it just doesn't come on. If I turn the thermo down, then back up it will usually take right off again and be OK. Sometimes it will go a couple days without this happening. I have had the gas service checked and cleaned the probe and igniter. Really puzzling, have called SP, but not had many answers there yet. Will probably have to call service man, but they are 100 miles away, Just wondered if anybody else has had this issue.

2) The second questions has to do with Mac n Cheese. We are trying to hold it and serve it on line, but it doesnt hold well and goes to mush after an hour or so. We have a good stove top recipe that we make in house, but have to keep throwing large amounts away. Its very popular so would like to keep it on the menu, just wondered what some of you are doing for Mac. Thanks for all your help and input.

Mike
Somokorama Pressure Smoker
Brinkmann Off Set Smoker
ecocks
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon May 02 11 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ours holds two days without any problem since we switched up our recipe a little. We were getting separation until we made a modification.

We make it, portion it, take it to a holding cabinet (145 deg.) for about 10 hours then overnite it in the cooler, then back to the holding cabinet the next day.
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon May 02 11 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will hold about 2 days also, if it lasts that long.
I only vend it on Friday and Saturday. Usually make 2 pans for each day.

Jarhead's Mac and Cheese

4 pounds of shells (medium preferred)
4 eggs
1 pint Half and Half
2 sticks of Butter
16 oz Sour Cream
1 pack of Green Onions (chopped)
2 pounds Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1 pound Shredded Jack Cheese
2 pounds Velveeta Cheese
2 Tbsp Big Ron's Hint of Houston

Melt and combine everything for about an hour on the smoker at 225
Add the cooked shells, stir and put it back on the smoker for about an hour. Stir a couple times while cooking.
Makes a full size pan and serves about 50.

Let me know what you think.
Good luck.

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 02 11 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have one and I'm not a tech,but It sounds like the sending unit or the therm,maybe dirty?to me I would guess it's sending a signal to light and as soon as it lights it's saying turn off.Next I would check the pilot light it may be out of adjustment and it's blowing the light out when it tries to light.(my old furnace did that).Just guesses.
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon May 02 11 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like something a guy who works on washers and dryers could figure out easy enough, or maybe even a furnace or gas oven technician.
It would probably save you some coin going locally instead of trying to get an SP tech out by you.

You only have 3 things to rule out;
Gas supply
Ignitor/ignition system
Temperature pick-up/control system

I had a gas convection oven that had a hard-start situation that required multiple re-starts to get it to ignite, but once it lit for the day, it ran like a champ for the rest of the night.
I bet the internals of that cooker and a gas oven are very similar and you could probably even get parts from Grainger or some other supply house.
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Mon May 02 11 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what you describe it sounds to me like the thermostat/controller is going.

If it was the thermocouple it wouldn't be working at all.

Could also be a relay is failing when it heats up.

From what you describe it's the controller, but that's just looking into my crystal ball.

Better to be a trouble-shooter than a parts re-placer (much cheaper).
Geronimo
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 02 11 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had that happen (as described) with my OHP and all it was...ash got in/around the igniter.

Just take a shop vac and suck the ash out (it don't take much to make it not work).

If you let too much ash build up in your chamber and/or throw/drop your wood into the fire, this will cause ash to fly up and possibly go into the propane/gas shoot and cause this problem.
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 03 11 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully I can help you with both.

If cleaning doesn't work start with the thermocouple, I have had many ovens over the years that have worked intermittently. Much stress for a 12-25 dollar part. Go to a site like instaware.com, usually cheaper than SP, they wanted 3X the price I found parts for locally. When I first got my spk 500 I went through the whole system because it wasn't getting enough gas, found out that the standard 20# tanks were too low and pinched the line. A frustrating week and 400.00 when I just needed larger tanks. I did find that I could cook with just wood in it though and have continued to just use the gas to light and as a back up to the wood.

The mac. All pasta weather a salad or hot dish will soak up moisture. So, my recipe is set up to finish in the microwave to order. More consistent and no waste. Under cook the pasta a couple minutes and cool pasta if reheating. For catering orders, first off, I don't recommend pasta or fried items, but if we do, we make it right before pick up because no hot pasta will hold creamy for more than an hour, ever. Salads are best finished in small batches throughout the day or to order as well.

We have gotten ourselves in a corner by having quality hot sides, because they do need to be finished to order to control waste and slow down service for the whole restaurant. I considered making changes, but my regulars said that's why the came here. I guess we have sacrificed speed for quality hot sides. Working on an express sandwich counter next.
Punky

PostPosted: Wed May 04 11 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help and comments, you're all the best. After talking with Southern Pride and the local HVAC guy, looks like the control module is starting to go like several of you mentioned. Unfortunately, they're about $300/plus, so making sure that's it before I bite the bullet.

Still working with the Mac n Cheese, lots of good ideas and comments, thanks again.

Mike
Brinkmann Off Set Smoker
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed May 04 11 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quality baked mac & cheese will hold much better than a stove top version.
Bub-Ba-Q

PostPosted: Wed May 04 11 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an xlr350 as well. These older units did have a problem with the igniters, which is acually a serious problem. A friend of mine's blew the door almost 100 yards away. The system will allow gas to build up in the cooker and not fire and then will it finally catches the, well not good.

When I bought my unit, I had it completely refurbished and a new ignition system put in. They are not cheap, the burner alone was $8-900, but for me it was a none issue money wise. Safety is not a matter that you put a price tag one.

I hope that you do not have this type of problem, but I would definately check to see if you have one of the old systems and in my opinion would stop using the cooker immediatley until it is looked at by a certified SP tech
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Wed May 04 11 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have an xlr350 as well. These older units did have a problem with the igniters, which is acually a serious problem. A friend of mine's blew the door almost 100 yards away. The system will allow gas to build up in the cooker and not fire and then will it finally catches the, well not good.

When I bought my unit, I had it completely refurbished and a new ignition system put in. They are not cheap, the burner alone was $8-900, but for me it was a none issue money wise. Safety is not a matter that you put a price tag one.

I hope that you do not have this type of problem, but I would definately check to see if you have one of the old systems and in my opinion would stop using the cooker immediatley until it is looked at by a certified SP tech

Excellent advice Bill!

A SP tech might be the best route to go, but any gas tech with knowledge of Wayne burners would be an appropriate choice to make the conversion if necessary.

I have the new style (thank goodness evidently!) of Wayne burner in my own pit, the installation wasn't that difficult (sticky in the cookers section).
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 05 11 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was looking at a used sp I called a dealer to see what it would cost to have the listed problems fixed,long story short he told me they get there parts from grainer(how ever you spell it).might save you some mark up going though them.
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
Punky

PostPosted: Sun May 08 11 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ended up being the control module, $300, got it put in and now is running like new, working awesome. Did an all night smoke and held temp perfect, thanks for all the advice!
Brinkmann Off Set Smoker
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun May 08 11 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Punky wrote:
Ended up being the control module, $300, got it put in and now is running like new, working awesome. Did an all night smoke and held temp perfect, thanks for all the advice!

That's cool, I am glad you got it up and running. Was this a dealer-only part, or something you could have gotten from Grainger or maybe even an appliance repair store?
Punky

PostPosted: Thu May 12 11 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SP didn't even have it, had to get it from Johnstone Supply, which is a wholesaler to the HVAC industry. Fortunately my neighbor is a HVAC guy so he ordered it and put it in for me. Sounds like it is a pretty specific rare part, so hopefully this will do it for the life of the smoker.
Brinkmann Off Set Smoker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: