FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sysco

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff Hughes
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09 11 2:02 am    Post subject: Sysco Reply with quote

The company I am consulting with has a very close relationship with a certain rep. They follow him, and right now he is with Sysco.

Let's hear the good, the bad, and the ugly on this vendor...
Weber 22" Kettle
Geronimo
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09 11 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in MY experience (I only cater) they lure you in with promise of low prices then bring them up. Sometimes slowly, sometimes not so slowly.

Out of stock items they substituted with something else...may be close but NOT what I ordered. Shocked Had I WANTED the other item, I would have ordered the other item. Twisted Evil

The rep trying to tell me that SHE would have to eat my returns (trying to play the guilt/sympathy card Shocked )

Sorry, might be must my rep. Rolling Eyes Yours might be totally different. Shocked
Jeff Hughes
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09 11 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the rep I'm worried about, it's Sysco in general...
Weber 22" Kettle
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09 11 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on what your local Sysco house stocks, I have used Sysco for years and years with great success. But the local Sysco house here sucks compared to the other Sysco locations that I have worked with.

Pricing us up to the salesperson, it is the same as everything in life, not all things are equal. Some sales people suck, others are great. If the place is loyal to this person, I expect you are going to see "Good Guy" pricing and great service from him. There has got to be a reason they like him, so I would not be concerned about it.
If you harass the salesperson, I would not expect to get the "good guy" pricing or exemplary service from them.

These guys work on commission, high volume makes up for low pricing real nicely. \
Having a qualified sales rep will save your butt and make your life easier. Have them set you up with E-Sysco so you can browse products and pricing and life will be easier yet. Have him print an "Order Guide" for you too.
There are a ton of things they will do for you such as free menu printing, cost analysis, etc. take advantage of it to it's fullest.

A good sales rep can make your life much easier, A bad one can make life difficult. If you treat them with disrespect, or belligerence, it may be a difficult for them to take care of you.

Your sales person should also let you in on market trends so you can be on top of things before they happen, and let you in on the general health of your competitors so you get a better feel for the market. They are out there everyday in restaurants all over your general area. They are the grapevine communication system, talk with them and you will find out information that you shouldn't even know that will help you make critical business decisions. Stuff that will never happen at a warehouse club.
Jeff Hughes
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09 11 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:
It all depends on what your local Sysco house stocks, I have used Sysco for years and years with great success. But the local Sysco house here sucks compared to the other Sysco locations that I have worked with.

Pricing us up to the salesperson, it is the same as everything in life, not all things are equal. Some sales people suck, others are great. If the place is loyal to this person, I expect you are going to see "Good Guy" pricing and great service from him. There has got to be a reason they like him, so I would not be concerned about it.
If you harass the salesperson, I would not expect to get the "good guy" pricing or exemplary service from them.

These guys work on commission, high volume makes up for low pricing real nicely. \
Having a qualified sales rep will save your butt and make your life easier. Have them set you up with E-Sysco so you can browse products and pricing and life will be easier yet. Have him print an "Order Guide" for you too.
There are a ton of things they will do for you such as free menu printing, cost analysis, etc. take advantage of it to it's fullest.

A good sales rep can make your life much easier, A bad one can make life difficult. If you treat them with disrespect, or belligerence, it may be a difficult for them to take care of you.

Your sales person should also let you in on market trends so you can be on top of things before they happen, and let you in on the general health of your competitors so you get a better feel for the market. They are out there everyday in restaurants all over your general area. They are the grapevine communication system, talk with them and you will find out information that you shouldn't even know that will help you make critical business decisions. Stuff that will never happen at a warehouse club.

Thanks, he's proven multiple times to be of great value to their other restaurants.

We are for sure on good guy pricing...

Sysco services Tulsa from a huge facility...

They carry quality meats, which is my big concern...
Weber 22" Kettle
jboehm

PostPosted: Sun May 01 11 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might trust your rep, but I don't trust Sysco. It seemed every time the salesman would quote us a price it would be delivered at a different one. When that happens I make my vendors change the price on the spot or the product gets sent back and Sysco always wanted to send us a credit that would conveniently never come. Too much hassle for me and my staff.
Bestiverhad
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun May 01 11 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:

They are out there everyday in restaurants all over your general area. They are the grapevine communication system, talk with them and you will find out information that you shouldn't even know that will help you make critical business decisions.

That's some pretty good advice.
Thanks Harry.

Very Happy "What would you like to drink with that?" Very Happy
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun May 01 11 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed to sysco last year after my other rep left me high and dry three times in a season.I was told sysco is doing there own meats.or maybe it was lunch meat.
I would say if you know and like the guy take him and sysco for a test drive.
If you really like your old vendor, keep ordering something from them to keep the door open,and maybe get some better pricing from both.
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: