FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

got a new smoker (some assembly required)new pic 6/06/11

View previous topic :: View next topic  
halftimer
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri May 13 11 4:30 am    Post subject: got a new smoker (some assembly required)new pic 6/06/11 Reply with quote

had a masterbuilt but forgot to tie it down on a trip and lost it. had paid about 170. bucks for it but went to replace it of course they had done away with it and went to a better one for 300 bucks. figure that would be a good start on a clone. order the insulation, hinges, and just got back from the metal yard spent $530. should be a good start got about everything but a chute. look at 8 inchx1/4 8 foot pipe $100. had a 6inx1/4. x8 foot for $65. course that twice what i need. going to go see a friend friday and see if he has anything in his scrap pile.i"l keep ya'll posted

Last edited by halftimer on Tue Jun 07 11 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total
woody350ep
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri May 13 11 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh goody! Another one I'm interested in seeing completed! Wink Cool
MarkBall2
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri May 13 11 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of insulation did you get?

I'm debating on McMaster's High Temp & the Roxul. I need 1" deep then weld in the cook/firebox chambers inside a Stainless cabinet. I tested regular fiberglass & it didn't melt, but it got dark & smooth looking with some test welds.

I'm trying to be cheap, or at least inexpensive.

Got's ta have good food, that's why I'm here.
halftimer
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat May 14 11 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got the McMaster seem like what everybody on here uses got the 2in. about $100 with shipping
halftimer
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat May 14 11 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

got part of the frame welded up my 45's didn"t cut that good and when i got it square i had a few good size gaps to fill in. pics are not that great guess the light off the wall darken it

halftimer
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 18 11 5:40 am    Post subject: new pic added 5/17 Reply with quote

been working ash box chute and heat transfer tube. here pic of what I've got done.
here i got everything cut and laid out ready to weld up

here i have everything welded up and yes i did clean my cuts up before i welded did not think the heat transfer tube look that bad until i seen the pic. i had 20 feet of the 2x6 tube so thought i would use two i cut back 4 inches in the center to make it a 4x6 if i measure right they will be 8 inches from the wall will have 3/8x 12 heat defuser above them. hope it works

mwells
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 18 11 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that staggered transfer tube. It should really help even out the flow in the smoker. I bring my transfer tube about 2/3 of the way into the cook chamber, and didn't use a diversion plate. I cut a couple of holes in the side to let smoke/ heat escape. I also left the end open. I think that the way you set it up, you may not need the diverter. Set it up and cook and see if you have any hot spots. If you do you can add it later.

I have done quite a bit of research on the insulation. I found that Roxul AFB is the go-to stuff, according to the company. You have to be careful with regular insulation, as heat will actually cause it to break down and over time it will lose it's ability to insulate. Do a google search for SPI (specialty products and insulation). They have distributors across the country. They have pretty good prices, but not sure if they will ship.
mwells
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 18 11 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be too late, but if you can get your coal grate turned so that the top bars are facing the other way, it might be better. If you have to pull the grate when there is coal on top to deal with a bridge, it can get hung up with the bars perpendicular.

I like what stock you used. That shouldn't burn out anytime soon.
halftimer
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 18 11 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mwells i will have to go with the mcmasters this tine i already have it. i will put in a shelve rack for the heat defuser so i can put it in or take it out and will try both ways. on the ash grate i knew that, and just forgot i have read everything on here on clones and that was one of the things i read and just forgot will look at it and see how much trouble to change thanks
mwells
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu May 19 11 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The McMaster insulation will work fine, you shouldn't have any issues with it.

With the grate, I never had to remove mine. I did shake it from time to time to get the ash to drop down, but I never had to actually remove it while there was coal in the chute. So if it is a big deal, I wouldn't mess with it.
halftimer
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07 11 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i got smoke Sunday out of a smoker i started almost a month ago i thought i could put together in about a week or 10 days ha. i think the hardest and slowest was cutting the 14 gauge sheet but it was all worth it i think still have yet to cook anything but when i season it i was surprised. from the time the charcoal was dump in 30 minutes 150 degrees 1 hour 230 shut ball valve down to half open went inside to make some bread and come back out 20 minutes later and was 300 degrees open the door and left open for long enough as if i was loading it shut it back up cut ball valve to quarter open and it set on 250 for 12 hours on 20 lbs of kingsford charcoal which is a little more than i like was shooting for 225 . so what is your opinion on what to do i had the stack full open all the time. did i just let it get away from and got every thing to hot and not go down or i was thinking of putting a sliding plate on the top 2x6 heat transfer tube to get the height of my fire down and cut the amount of heat going in it. i also have not put the heat deflector in it yet that is a 3/8 steel plate 12 inches wide don't know if that will make a difference or not. here are some pics.
this is what it ended looking like

this is the heat transfer tube was thinking maybe block off the top one

hello Houston we have smoke

how much does the smoker weigh? this is whats left of 1087 lbs. got the extra pipe thought i might build 2. yea right. all i want do is get the body work done and painted, set back cook and have a cold beer.

how much does it cost to build / just like any other project figure what you think it will cost as close as you can then double it. that will get you close.
this was just like having a teenager in the house again everyday it was 20-30 bucks for something. good thing have made 3 real good friends at harbor freight and when i took off a couple of days to rest up and heal up ( scratch and cut everywhere) the manager at home depot called to make sure i was alright . nice to be missed will post pic when i get body work and paint done.

waiting to hear what y'all think on think heat thing.
Beer Can BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07 11 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW halftimer it looks like you have built a hell of a smoker. I would say it will just take some time and practice to get her all figured out. I have seen a lot of people on here say they run at 250 so i would not worry about it at all you can keep working with it and try getting it down a little lower but if it will run for 12 hours with out much work i would say you have had a sucessful build. Looking forward to see some of your cooks.
halftimer
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07 11 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks beer can i will play with it later this week with some food on it and see what happens
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: