FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moonie's Texas Barbecue.. here we go!
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MooniesBBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 13 11 12:27 pm    Post subject: Moonie's Texas Barbecue.. here we go! Reply with quote

It's finally happening. I found my place tonight, and I'm off to the bank tomorrow to start the ball rolling. It's late and I know this post lacks details, but I'll post pics of the place tomorrow and get everyone up to speed on what's happening. It's my turn to go down the commercial route, and I'd like to chronicle it here. Let's just say we(wife and kids) are very excited!

Moonie

Edit: Ok too excited, here's some interior pics.

Refrigeration

More fridge space

Kitchen with 12' vent hood. I'm removing the large stove and will have two pitmaker vaults under the hood!

Another view of the kitchen

Dining area

Another shot of the dining, I will be knocking out that white wall in the middle of the picture and will be replacing it with an ordering counter. You'll walk up to there, get your drinks(out of a trough) and sides and I'll cut your meat and put it on a tray with butcher paper.

I'll update this thread with details of my progress.

Moonie

http://www.mooniestexasbarbecue.com
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri May 13 11 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, I wish you the best of luck.

I did notice that your restroom is probably not ADA compliant as is due to the pedestal sink not allowing proper wheelchair clearance under it.

Measure your grab-rail heights, sink height, room underneath the sink, have nothing above the grab rails, when you get a mirror in there, make sure it is mounted at the correct height along with the paper towel dispenser.
I mention this because some people in CA have been making a healthy living by suing restaurant owners for ADA compliance issues lately.

Other than that, may you sell out daily!!
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Fri May 13 11 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Moonie! Cool

In an existing place the ADA requirements are probably grand-fathered in.

I'd seriously consider keeping that stove though.

Any projection on opening date?

I'll be in the area this summer, and look forward to stopping by!
MooniesBBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 13 11 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBQMAN wrote:
Congrats Moonie! Cool

I'd seriously consider keeping that stove though.

Any projection on opening date?

I'll be in the area this summer, and look forward to stopping by!

Thanks! We are going to try negotiating a July 1st lease start and an august first grand opening. The soft opening will be the weekend before. We already have a two week family vacation planned in late June, so that is the reason for the delay. Wife wants to do some painting and decorating, and I've got to get the pits ordered.

I'm off to the bank to get a small loan, but if for some reason they won't give me one we'll use some of our savings. My budget is 25,000 to open which has been my target all along. I'll update later today!

Moonie

Raine
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 13 11 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking place, No mirror in the bathroom either.
MooniesBBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 13 11 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention is that there is a brand new meat market opening up 4 blocks up the road! I've already talked with the owner and he says he'll be able to compete with the big boys. How convenient is that?

Moonie

MooniesBBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat May 14 11 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, afternoon update. The lady that handles the loans at the bank was out with a sick kid. It's a small bank, I refuse to work with megabanks. She'll be back on Monday so I'll have to wait until then.

I stopped by the now open meat market, and they are carrying all angus beef and their prices are great. I even talked to him about making me a custom all beef sausage! The guy lives in my neighborhood about 15 houses down, and we hit it off like we've known each other all our lives.

Lease negotiations will start tomorrow, and I'll be talking to the owner about some minor construction. We need to tear that wall out so people can see into the kitchen. That's all for now!

Moonie

rubbbq
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat May 14 11 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CONRATS, LOOKS GREAT!! nice space to work with
norcalbob

PostPosted: Sat May 14 11 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBQMAN wrote:
Congrats Moonie! Cool

Having just recently gone through this ADA stuff Nothing is grandfathered! We got targeted and had to have a Casp inspection(Certified access inspection) done and this guy was the least expensive our bill was $2,596! Better than getting sued I guess.

Good luck to you Moonie, the place looks great!

Bob
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Sat May 14 11 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought of you here Bob.

Actually, the laws are not nearly as nuts here as out your way.

And yes, if it's an existing place they are (here).

Anything involving change of use and the new rules apply.

YMMV.
Geronimo
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat May 14 11 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here, new rules apply with new ownership...regardless.
Louie
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sun May 15 11 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats..look forward to following your progress..
MooniesBBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun May 15 11 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today is pretty uneventful. The owner's daughter has a graduation so he's concentrating on that all day, so maybe Monday we can finalize the lease.

One exciting thing happened over lunch when a couple got into a fight and started throwing water at each other. The lady smacked him across the face and he just had a nervous laughter.. they left, and we noticed there was 7 glasses of wine on their table. Needless to say she started hitting him more out in the parking lot, and they got in their van. We decided to call the cops because it was obvious they were both trashed. Cops showed up and arrested them both. We asked the waitress how many she served, and after 4 she asked her manager if she should stop serving and apparently he didn't answer. This is a lesson for all of us, make sure your employee's don't over serve!

Moonie

4LittlePigs
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun May 15 11 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is yet another reason I don't serve alcohol! Wink
Soapm
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun May 15 11 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!!! I hope all goes well in your new endeavor...
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun May 15 11 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk to your landlord about who would do the ada compliant issues.The bathroom door looks small to me.And I'm not sure you could wheel a chair around in there.
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
MooniesBBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 16 11 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok latest update. Today at 3pm we met the owner and everything went great! His family owns the building, along with several other buildings around town. He is from Peru, and an extremely nice older gentlemen. He is willing to work with us on anything, and out of chinese, italian, and bbq he wants us in there with bbq.

Next step is to go back to the bank tomorrow to get the ball rolling on the finances. All in all this is moving very fast and without issue! People are dying for a good bbq joint in this area, and the amount of help that has been offered is overwhelming.

HD will be doing a site inspection this week and I'll be asking them about ADA compliance. Thanks for following!

Moonie

Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon May 16 11 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so it does not come as a shock to you, most banks are not doing all that much financing these days. And in many cases the very instant you say "Restaurant" the loan officer may either run away and hide, or they may get physically violent with you. it is a 50/50 chance, so be prepared.

You may have a better chance of securing financing with a loan guarantee from the SBA, The path through the SBA is littered with very large tangles of "red Tape", rusty fish hooks, leg traps, IED's, and other obstacles that'll make you wonder why you are doing this.
But a guarantee from the SBA can make the difference between a bank telling you to go engage in sexual intercourse with yourself, or them being a little more open to considering financing you for a venture in an industry that has a 95% failure rate in the first 24 months of operation.

The SBA will review your relevant experience, they will want to see a resume that shows that you have an extensive background in the industry, and verifiable P&L statements that you will be able to justify that they are not just fantasy. be prepared to sign over your first born son, and have your daughter working in a house of ill repute too. Remember, the SBA is a program that is managed by our federal government, and we all know their lack of efficiency

To further explain how difficult this may be to get financing: When I tried to get financing over a year ago, We were declined outright even though I have been in the industry since the early 1980's, our current catering business has been very profitable, we own our home which we bought with cash, so it has 100 equity with a current market value in excess of 3 times the amount of the loan we wanted,
Plus we have no debt, and our only liabilities were food, utilities, and taxes. And the SBA had pre-approved my eligibility for them to guarantee 90% of my small business loan up to $2,500,000.00. I was only seeking $110K and the best loan offer I had got was for 50% of durable equipment!!!

A total of $11K of the loan would have been unsecured, that's it! so basically I was told that I could not be trusted with $11K and my loan was denied. I heard about everyone who can't pay their loans, but when I stated I would have a full-time crew of at least 14 people, those 14 people may have money to pay their loans. It didn't matter.
The bank will not tell you they will nto loan you the money until you spend countless hours filling out a 6" tall stack of paperwork, then when you submit, they won't even look at it before they tell you they cannot loan the money.
Some might give you a line of crap that "The government will not let us loan since the TARP bailout" which is a lie. They will make sure to check your credit just to trash your rating from multiple inquiries, so be prepared for that too.

So before signing any lease paperwork, ordering any equipment, or spending a single dime on anything besides a commercial-sized drum of aspirin for the headaches you are going to realize. It may be in your best interest to have your P&L's done for your first year, and P&L's for the next 36 months after your first year done and ready.

You should also have a business plan, a resume showing all relevant experience, and get set up with a mentor from SCORE (Service Corps Of Retired Executives) You may also want to get you incorporation paperwork done, insurance quotes, plan review by your local health department, a nuptial agreement with the spouse. And hide some assets for your upcoming divorce that will most likely be caused by the restaurant and or the financials and work hours involved with operating a restaurant.

The most F'd up comment I heard from a loan officer is when he asked what I planned on doing for an income to pay for the loan if he decided to give us a loan. (WTF)
So be prepared for idiocy of a level you thought was unattainable, I suggest having a digital voice recorder, because many people will not believe you when you try to tell them how stupid loan officers are.

I sincerely wish you luck in your new venture!
MooniesBBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 16 11 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry you crack me up man Smile. Since we are only asking for 25k the only thing the bank needs is 3 years of tax returns and a personal financial statement. This is just an installment loan, similar to a new car loan. I refuse to do anything that is run by our wonderful government. They are already in my life enough and I'm not going to further invite them in!

My business plan is complete, and I just have to finish the two page financial statement in the morning before I go to the bank.

One thing I may not of mentioned is that I'm keeping my mon-thurs job so our family finances will not be affected besides the small loan. We are starting out with Friday dinner, sat/sun lunch. Once the business can support our family I will go full time with it including catering.

We have been patient and obedient to God through this process. He has His finger all over this and I am just following His lead.

I'll update tomorrow after we visit the bank.

Moonie

Geronimo
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 16 11 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:
Just so it does not come as a shock to you, most banks are not doing all that much financing these days. And in many cases the very instant you say "Restaurant" the loan officer may either run away and hide, or they may get physically violent with you. it is a 50/50 chance, so be prepared.

You may have a better chance of securing financing with a loan guarantee from the SBA, The path through the SBA is littered with very large tangles of "red Tape", rusty fish hooks, leg traps, IED's, and other obstacles that'll make you wonder why you are doing this.
But a guarantee from the SBA can make the difference between a bank telling you to go engage in sexual intercourse with yourself, or them being a little more open to considering financing you for a venture in an industry that has a 95% failure rate in the first 24 months of operation.

The SBA will review your relevant experience, they will want to see a resume that shows that you have an extensive background in the industry, and verifiable P&L statements that you will be able to justify that they are not just fantasy. be prepared to sign over your first born son, and have your daughter working in a house of ill repute too. Remember, the SBA is a program that is managed by our federal government, and we all know their lack of efficiency

To further explain how difficult this may be to get financing: When I tried to get financing over a year ago, We were declined outright even though I have been in the industry since the early 1980's, our current catering business has been very profitable, we own our home which we bought with cash, so it has 100 equity with a current market value in excess of 3 times the amount of the loan we wanted,
Plus we have no debt, and our only liabilities were food, utilities, and taxes. And the SBA had pre-approved my eligibility for them to guarantee 90% of my small business loan up to $2,500,000.00. I was only seeking $110K and the best loan offer I had got was for 50% of durable equipment!!!

A total of $11K of the loan would have been unsecured, that's it! so basically I was told that I could not be trusted with $11K and my loan was denied. I heard about everyone who can't pay their loans, but when I stated I would have a full-time crew of at least 14 people, those 14 people may have money to pay their loans. It didn't matter.
The bank will not tell you they will nto loan you the money until you spend countless hours filling out a 6" tall stack of paperwork, then when you submit, they won't even look at it before they tell you they cannot loan the money.
Some might give you a line of crap that "The government will not let us loan since the TARP bailout" which is a lie. They will make sure to check your credit just to trash your rating from multiple inquiries, so be prepared for that too.

So before signing any lease paperwork, ordering any equipment, or spending a single dime on anything besides a commercial-sized drum of aspirin for the headaches you are going to realize. It may be in your best interest to have your P&L's done for your first year, and P&L's for the next 36 months after your first year done and ready.

You should also have a business plan, a resume showing all relevant experience, and get set up with a mentor from SCORE (Service Corps Of Retired Executives) You may also want to get you incorporation paperwork done, insurance quotes, plan review by your local health department, a nuptial agreement with the spouse. And hide some assets for your upcoming divorce that will most likely be caused by the restaurant and or the financials and work hours involved with operating a restaurant.

The most F'd up comment I heard from a loan officer is when he asked what I planned on doing for an income to pay for the loan if he decided to give us a loan. (WTF)
So be prepared for idiocy of a level you thought was unattainable, I suggest having a digital voice recorder, because many people will not believe you when you try to tell them how stupid loan officers are.

I sincerely wish you luck in your new venture!

Maybe (just maybe) when you told them this, they put the 2+2 together when they realized your place only seats 14 guests and wondered WHY you would need 14 full time employees......or WHERE you would even put 14 employees.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 1 of 26

Jump to: