FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are you cooking this Sunday!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Portergolf
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12 06 10:15 pm    Post subject: What are you cooking this Sunday!! Reply with quote

Well since I have gotten my smoker about 6 weeks ago it seems that every Sunday I get a group of guys who want to come over on sundays for Football and BBQ.

Here is what I am cooking today.

What are you cooking!!!

2 - Racks of Ribs
1 - 8.5lb butt
1- 2.5lb Eye of round beef roast. ( had it sitting around, figured I would experiment with beef)

Markus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12 06 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my camera died , so no pix . I have a boston butt on that's been going since midnight and I'm doing 20 ABTs (first try) . The combo of a smoker and a 51" HiDef TV means I'm entertaining every sunday
Hasty-Brad
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12 06 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as we get back from church the new Kingfisher is getting loaded up with its initial cook:

6 racks of baby backs

2 butts-nice big ones

Next weekend it will see its first turkey that I bought yesterday while I was out stimulating the local economy.
BBQ Buc

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12 06 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Threw on two buts this morning about 9:00 AM. Rubbed em' down last night and they are good to go!

I am trying lump charcoal for the first time and having trouble getting my temp down. It running about 250-ish right now which isn't bad, but I want to drop it down another 10-20. Any recommendations or do I need to deal with it? (I am adjusting air flow into the box and out on my stack.)

I also did my first run at some home made Q sauce. The recipe that I followed (except for the fact that I used cider vinegar instead of white) had way too much of a vinegar flavor in it. Does cider vinegar have a stronger vinegar flavor than white or are all vinegars created equal?

I will post some pictures later if I get the chance.

BBQ Buc
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13 06 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm taking the day off! Wink Very Happy

BBQBUC, 250' is just fine for pork butt! What are you cooking on? You can use less fuel, or damp the intake down. You really want the exhaust open as much as possible to prevent bitter meat! Very Happy

You can also use a modified minion method with lump and get a longer burn time.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13 06 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBQ Buc wrote:
Threw on two buts this morning about 9:00 AM. Rubbed em' down last night and they are good to go!

I am trying lump charcoal for the first time and having trouble getting my temp down. It running about 250-ish right now which isn't bad, but I want to drop it down another 10-20. Any recommendations or do I need to deal with it? (I am adjusting air flow into the box and out on my stack.)

I also did my first run at some home made Q sauce. The recipe that I followed (except for the fact that I used cider vinegar instead of white) had way too much of a vinegar flavor in it. Does cider vinegar have a stronger vinegar flavor than white or are all vinegars created equal?

I will post some pictures later if I get the chance.

BBQ Buc

I agree with BBQMAN and I wouldnt worry over 10 or 20 degrees, it aint that big of a thing as temps will usually vary than that during a cook anyways. 250 is the temp I cook most BBQ at and it works real good for me.

Cider vigegar has a very distict flavour but I wouldnt say its stronger or more vinegary (if that even a word). Welcome to the world if Carolina vinegar sauces which I believe are the best for BBQ. Most folks dont know real BBQ sauce from candy, which is what they have been find in just about every store bought sauce.. Sweet tomato candy.
LIAR #100
BBQ Buc

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13 06 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBQMAN wrote:
I'm taking the day off! Wink Very Happy

BBQBUC, 250' is just fine for pork butt! What are you cooking on? You can use less fuel, or damp the intake down. You really want the exhaust open as much as possible to prevent bitter meat! Very Happy

You can also use a modified minion method with lump and get a longer burn time.

I have the Home Depot New Braunfels special. Wink It is a good rig for every day use, but I have the fever for the DPP FAT 50. I bought a new truck this year, so I need something to tow. That is my logic and I am sticking to it. Laughing

I am using about 1/3 of what I use with regular charcoal. The air intake is open 15% at the most. The stuff definately burns hotter, but it very consistent with little temperature fluctuations.

With regular charcoal I run at 220-230 and everything turns out great. I guess I will just have to keep an eye on it as the day goes by.

BBQ Buc
kickassbbq
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13 06 3:19 am    Post subject: Corned Beef??? Reply with quote

I am smoking 2 Corned Beef Briskets as we speak. Never tried this but, they sure are a thick flat. Got them on at 350 for a Fast Track Smoke!!!!

If they are good. I'll let ya know. If they are crappy, I'll tell ya that, too.

Football, Nascar, smokin', music in the Harley Shop and Whiskey in about 2 more hours.

Now that is a Sunday Smoke!!!!!!!!
Everyone have a GREAT and safe day.
Smoke On!!!!!!
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13 06 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: Corned Beef??? Reply with quote

kickassbbq wrote:
I am smoking 2 Corned Beef Briskets as we speak. Never tried this but, they sure are a thick flat. Got them on at 350 for a Fast Track Smoke!!!!

If they are good. I'll let ya know. If they are crappy, I'll tell ya that, too.

Smoking them works out great, once they have smoked for 45 - 60 minutes per lb of weight, you can put them in a pan on a cooling rack, with water up to the bottom of the rack, cover with foil and steam on the stove top 3 1/2 - 4 hours, to tenderize the meat. Eat some hot, sliced thick so as not to wreck the edge. Chill what is left overnight in the fridge, slice it as thin as you can tomorrow.

You can eat it all straight away from the smoker, but if you don't steam it as well, the meat toughens up as it cools down, IMO, and the product won't be as good by day 2 or 3 and you will be putting out a bad report.

I still work here!
big_jake
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13 06 7:18 am    Post subject: cookin' Reply with quote

beer can chicken!its been about two hours so i have two more to go!!!!
Mike Lawry
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13 06 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting ready to do some deep fried Catfish. Shrimp, Cheese sticks, Tater Tots.

Mike Lawry
Norton

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13 06 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chicken, ribs, mashed potatos and corn-on-the-cob.
Old Dave
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13 06 4:33 pm    Post subject: Cheese Reply with quote

I smoked some cheese on one of my ceramic cookers for some gifts for the holidays.

This is what I started with.

The cheese on the smoker.

The results on my first round.
kickassbbq
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13 06 8:39 pm    Post subject: SoEzzy Reply with quote

Here is what the neighbor emailed this morning about that Corned Beef.

Just finished eating the BBQ corn beef you brought over tonight, WOW! That was AWESOME! I would have never thought of BBQing corn beef, the combination of flavors sent my taste buds dancing, and the beef was as tender as Mary Sues lips when I stole my first kiss from her in second grade. Living next to you is going to do add alot to my waist line. Thanks Ed.
One question, are you a Jameson or Jack Daniels kind of guy?

I took them off the smoker at 199 and let them rest while we got ready to eat. I sliced it up and it was great!!!!!

One is cooled for slicing really thin today. Pretty good stuff with a little different flavor than Brisket.

Smoke On!!!!!
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13 06 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed, that's what we call Pastrami! Wink Good job, wish I had been there! Very Happy
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13 06 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBQMAN wrote:
Ed, that's what we call Pastrami! Wink Good job, wish I had been there! Very Happy

There is still time before the bottle gets there! Flights leave every hour on the hour! Very Happy

And what sort of Temps do you smoke the cheese at? What type of cheese was it too? They look like they have a perfect color for a smoked cheese! Wink

I still work here!
Old Dave
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13 06 11:50 pm    Post subject: Cheese Reply with quote

I smoke the cheese at no higher than 80 degrees as it really doesn't work at any temps over that. The cheese I am using are the following.

Swiss
Mild Cheddar
Havarti
Extra sharp cheddar
Colby
Sharp cheddar
Muenster
Double gloucester
Horseradish
Gorgonzola
Pepper Jack
Asiago pesto wheel
Asiago roasted pepper wheel
Provolone
Gouda

I still have several more rounds to get all of it done.

Smoking cheese shouldn't change the color at all. If the color has changed, it will be way oversmoked.

Fwiw, the smoked cheese that you purchase in the stores has never even been close to a smoker. It is done with chemicals and also colored to look darker than is should be. There is a world of difference between real smoked cheese actually done in a smoker and what you can purchase that is called smoked cheese.

The cheese in the picture was smoked for 90 minutes.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14 06 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Old Dave, it may just be the vacpak reflecting the light differently, but it looks noticeably darker to me! Very Happy

How do you set up for such a low heat? Is it just down to a very few coals?

I have read about cold smoking but never actually seen anyone post the details, they just seem to assume you know how and then say, "cold smoke for 90 minutes!" which helps very little.

I know for my sins there are probably 200 threads on here somewhere discribing it all but can I push for your take on it? Wink

I still work here!
Norton

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14 06 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second that. Smoked cheese for Christmas presents will be in the works if I can do it.

www.bigwildpanheadsaloon.com The biker website for bikers. Tell 'em Norton sent ya.
Old Dave
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14 06 9:47 am    Post subject: Smoking Cheese Reply with quote

SoEzzy,

I use about the same setup for both the WSM's and the ceramic cookers as they are about the same size. I also try to do the smoking early on a cold morning to make it easier to keep the cooker at under 80 degrees. I usually also need to use ice in most cooks unless I smoke in under 25 degree ambient temps. Nice thing about ice is that I can smoke cheese right in the middle of the Summer in a WSM with temps above 90 degrees ambient so it does work well in pulling the temp down in the cooker.

This a picture of the setup as I was prepping it in the kitchen. The pan is full of ice.

This is my fire in the bottom of the Egg and it is 5 brickettes with three pieces of hickory on top. This gives me about 2 hours of smoke and my cheese usually gets done in less than that time and in this case, about 90 minutes.

Today, I did another round in one of my Backwoods cookers and it also came out well.

This is about 14-15 more pounds about ready to go on the smoker.

For this smoke, I used 6 brickettes which I ashed over in a chimney and then I used two pieces of apple wood for the smoke.

I also used some ice in the water pan but don't think I really needed it as the ambient temp was about 30 degrees.

The cheese on the cooker. This load only took 60 minutes and did come out great.

More results.

Give it a try!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: