FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fajitas/flank steak tender cuts?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
buffquat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14 06 11:48 pm    Post subject: Fajitas/flank steak tender cuts? Reply with quote

Anyone out there figured out how to get consistantly tender flank steak. I have tried and tried and tried, but it is one tough cut. I have had tender fajitas in restaurants, so there is a way, I just don't know it.
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15 06 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Fajitas/flank steak tender cuts? Reply with quote

buffquat wrote:
Anyone out there figured out how to get consistantly tender flank steak. I have tried and tried and tried, but it is one tough cut. I have had tender fajitas in restaurants, so there is a way, I just don't know it.

Are you cutting against the grain? if it is still tough and you are cutting against the grain I dont know what to tell you...you could probably try and briase them or something like that...I know that when I do them I will marinade them for a while in the fridge...then grill...then take them off and slip them into a foil pouch and stay in either the oven or on the grill...noramlly in the oven since I use the grill to do my veggies and what not...

when it is time to construct just remove the meat from the pouch slice thin against the grain and voila great steak fajitas...
adolpho
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15 06 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: Fajitas/flank steak tender cuts? Reply with quote

buffquat wrote:

First of all, most restaurants don't really cook with the skirt steak, which is what fajitas should be cooked from. They cook with sirloin or some other steak and season 'em like fajitas.

Marinating fajitas overnight is a good way to make them tender. Use some seasonings and then your choice of EVOO, italian dressing or beer. During the marinade, do not put too much salt on. Keep it in a ziploc bag, sealed bowl or even vacuum sealed. Add salt and additional spices before you put it on the grill. There are many opinions on how high of a heat to grill them. My choice is a medium heat two turns on each side for a total of 25-30 minutes. Many TV shows show the fajitas undercooked at medium to medium rare, but in reality, most Texans cook fajitas to medium well or well done with a slight pink to no pink (blood dripping out of a taco is not a pretty sight). As Dawgphan said, cut against the grain.
Restaurants that do use skirt steak either do something similar to the above or have a "tumbler." Tumblers make almost any meat tender.

These are not the only options, just the ones I know and I hope they help you!
007bond-jb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16 06 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that Super Targets skirt steak is trimmed of extra fat & is much more tender than wally worlds. I like to marinade mine for at least 24 hours. If you don't have a Target loacaly tenderize with a meat mallet or those pin cushion thingy's
Travis_Creek
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16 06 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marinade is the trick.
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10 06 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found that using a top loin (London Broil) cut, marinated well, seared on the outside on the grill and sliced into a scallop cut makes tender fajitas just about every time.

Ilike tequila and lime juice in my marinade, too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Grilling All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: