FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Electric Smoker Q

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhnarial
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10 11 10:07 am    Post subject: Electric Smoker Q Reply with quote

I have learned everything I know about smoking meat from this site and I can get down on my offset.

Tomorrow I am going to a pool party at a friends. He wanted to learn how I smoke my meat and has been asking a bunch of questions. I told him everything I know and what to buy for a smoker.

He went with his own rout(the easy rout) and bought a electric smoker. It's not no cheap one it has all of the bells and whistles and he swears it's the best thing. So I asked him why is it then when we go to our favorite restaurants or competitions we don't see them.

Anyways I want to do the best we can on this thing, it looks like this not sure if this is the exact make or not but it's close.

LINK!

He has had my ribs off my smoker and doing everything the same I want to see how it comes out in this smoker. I credit my good smoked meat to smoke control. Not sure how this will come out.

Anyone have and good secrets?

Sry for the caps accident Shocked
sudsandswine

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10 11 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Masterbuilt electric smoker at one point (the non-window version) and it was extremely convenient to use...just like an oven is. Set the temp, load new wood chips every so often, etc. I could leave the house without fearing an open flame. I sold it and got a WSM 18.5", then a 22.5" and haven't looked back. I felt the meat lacked "character" that you get by burning fuel for heat. That's my unscientific analysis. Removing the "managing the fire/temp" variable makes it easier for a newb to focus on other aspects of BBQ, I suppose.
pigskins
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11 11 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set it and forget it. It typically doesn't need a lot of wood.

I have a Cookshack electric smoker and while most times I feel like I don't belong here, I have taken a lot of info from here and applied it. Cookshacks are real smokers. In fact, real good smokers. Everyone here has been helpful and made me feel welcome.

So with ribs, I trim and rub and put them into the cold smoker with a couple small chunks of wood. I usually go 225 or 230 and do the 3-1-1 method for spares.
uhmgood
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11 11 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got an MES30 about 6 months ago and i really love it ( please don't hate me ) it just takes all the work out of smoking , no 14 hrs tending the fire , no open the vent a little , no close the vent a little , no adding 6 pieces of charcoal , no opening it up because its too hot , i could go on and on but you get the idea . i know a lot of you guys out there love to " tend " your cooks and i say " go for it " i love you all , your just more dedicated then i am. i used to be a rib and butt guy , period . now i try everything, it really has expanded my menues. just my opinion
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11 11 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That "See Thru Window" ain't gonna be see thru very long. Shocked
I like my FEC-100 pellet pooper for the long cooks. The WSMs and Bandera for Ribs and Chicken.

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
Deep South
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11 11 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another electric user here (Smokin Tex).

I love it for the 12 hours briskets and butt cooks.

I don't believe it will ever make BBQ as good as my offset burning cherry wood BUT I have to sleep sometime!
KAKid
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11 11 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went from 'lectric, to the gasser, then to the offset. Though CG gets the call most of the time now, I still use them all. Sparky is used as a holding oven, jerky maker and cold smoker. Gasser for local cookoffs when I need to cook more than the CG holds. They all have their place for me.

Secrets: I've found the chips burn up pretty fast. Figure on a minimum of 4-5 reloads. Don't expect a smoke ring. Use either a liquid (AJ is good), ceramic briquets or sand in the water pan as a heat sink to help keep the temp a bit more stable.

Good luck!

Chargriller Outlaw w/SFB and Mods
Pair of UDS's
10 gal CI Chili/Jambalaya pot
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: