FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Elk...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smo-Ken
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23 06 1:36 am    Post subject: Elk... Reply with quote

A friend just handed me two "chubs" of frozen ground elk meat. I'd guess it's around 2 lbs total weight. These were professionally processed so I am assuming they have about 25% fat included already. I am thinking of making up some Elk Sausage using this meat and the pork 'rib-trimmins' I have kept. (I do have some Luhr-Jensen Summer Sausage seasoning laying around if I need it.)

Should I just use straight elk, or grind up & mix in the pork, and what about seasonings?
Bar-B-Chef Offset Smoker
BBQ Pro Bullet
22" Weber kettles (Red & Blue)
'05 Skeeter TZX190/175 Yammi HPDI
bharper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30 06 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have made both fresh and smoked sausage with professionally ground elk. I did not add additional fat; often the butcher puts in enough fat to comply with most sausage recipes, which envision mixing lean beef and fat.

Any recipe that calls for beef will work for elk. If it appears the ground meat is very lean (not much added fat) you could add some extra fat, but too much fat will make the sausage greasy. I have not ever added extra fat when using ground venison of any kind with added fat from the butcher. I made smoked summer sausage according to the recipe on the commercial summer sausage package recently and it was great. If you are going to not use prepared seasonings then just look for any recipe calling for beef and use the elk; it should work well. I have a recipe for beer sticks that is very easy to make and delicious if you run out of ideas.
BBQonICE
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12 07 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you assume the butcher added fat when he processed it. I would assume it is just straight ground elk. Which is pretty lean.

I would add equal part ground pork...with maybe 10 to 30%fat.
bharper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13 07 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBQonICE wrote:
Why would you assume the butcher added fat when he processed it. I would assume it is just straight ground elk. Which is pretty lean.

I would add equal part ground pork...with maybe 10 to 30%fat.

Actually there should be no fat in elk, as it would all be trimmed off. As a result, beef fat is usually added back, at least by the place i take my elk for processing. He asks what % fat I want added, but treats it as a foregone conclusion there will be some fat added.

I used fatty cuts of pork (ground up) when i made sausage from moose meat which i butchered at home (and which had no fat at all); pork works well when mixed with venison.
BBQonICE
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13 07 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess thats what they do down their. When we shoot an elk or get any from an elk farm....I buy ELK...no elk and fat. We add what we want later.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Making All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: