FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can't find Pork Fat!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjmontana

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23 06 3:19 am    Post subject: Can't find Pork Fat! Reply with quote

Hello all, RJ in Montana here. I'm a newbie and just posted on the introduction board but thought I'd pose my question here as well. I am ready to start experimenting with home sausage making but most recipes I am interested in trying usually call for some pork butt and/or fresh pork fat to be used either by themselves or to cut some lean beef/venison. No problem finding the Boston Butt but I am not having much luck finding any butcher shops that keep or will sell straight pork fat.
I understand the spoiling/rancid factor with the pork products but where do you seasoned guys scrounge up your fresh pork fat to home brew with?? Does the Pork Butt roast posess enough fat content to carry the fat load in sausage recipes or is there a different cut that will fill the bill if I can't get any fresh Pork Fat to add to my counter cuts for grinding. Thanks for the help and I look forward to visiting the site ...RJ in Montana..
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23 06 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pork Butt Roast is as good as it gets as far as using for sausage.
JimH
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23 06 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked the butcher at my local grocery store and he told me to give him a little advance notice if I wanted some pork fat.
rjmontana

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23 06 7:50 am    Post subject: To WoooDoggy Reply with quote

I don't think I worded my question well WD, I figured the Pork Butt would do a great ALL Pork sausage but a lot of the recipes I am finding for smoked cooked links call for approx. 7# of Beef or Venison + 1-2# of Butt + approx. 1# of fresh Pork fat to make a 10# batch.
I would much rather eat an all pork product but have been led to believe that for smoke cooked products that will be freezer kept and eaten later that ALL Pork is a bad way to go. That its best to use a mostly beef base with a portion of pork and pork fat for moisture and texture if it is to be cooked and then stored or at least not eaten immediately as fresh sausage would be. This is what I am looking for the Pork fat for, the Beef/Pork combo meat base.
As I stated in my first post, I am new at this and may be drawing some bad conclusions. That is why I am here, to learn from the people who know....Any help is appreciated, keep it comming..
Thanks, RJ in Montana..
bharper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11 06 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when a sausage recipe like the one you mentioned calls for a pound or so of pork fat i just find the fattiest, nastiest cheap bacon i can find in the store and use it. its about 95% fat or so it seems. anway it has worked very well for me.
Mark H
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12 06 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your butcher should be able to order pork trimmings in either 50% or 25%(?) fat content. These are sold to sausage making shops in 50# bags.
I would be surprised if your butcher would want to split a bag.
Mark H
Az_Redneck

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21 06 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in Az we have a lot of hispanic type markets that will and do sell pork fat. You might have to go off the beaten path to find one. You can also use salt pork if you don't want to use bacon or just eliminate the fat that is called for and use all pork butt or shoulder with the beef combo.
GDOG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11 07 11:06 am    Post subject: Can't find pork fat Reply with quote

Pure pork fat is known as FAT BACK. The only place I know of to get it is from a slaughter house or from a butgher who does the kill on site. FAT BACK (not back fat) is called for in many old sausage recipes.
Hope this helps.

GDOG
nogoer

PostPosted: Sat May 12 07 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called up my local grocery store and he said they would save me some as long as i gave them a couple days notice. I only want it so i can get a higher than 20% fat ratio or use it with beef to make sure i have at least 20%. I'm also progressing far enough where i want to know for sure i have the percentage i want and using lean plus pork fat will allow me to do that. It's generally accpeted that boston butt has 20% lean/fat ratio and works just fine for most recipes.

Food lover and newbie smoker
My hobby food site...
http://www.foodartisan.net
BBQonICE
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12 07 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most butcher shops here offer ground pork at 50/50, 60/40 or 70/30. Thats 70%pork and 30% fat. Sausage making is a staple up here so it readily available.

We use 70/30 mixed equal parts with deer or elk or moose.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Making All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: