FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whole Hog Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hdthndr1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27 11 11:26 pm    Post subject: Whole Hog Question Reply with quote

Couple questions for the Whole Hog experts.
Planning (couple months out) a whole hog cook. Gonna be somewhere between 150 and 200lbs. Does anybody know the average length snout to rear of a 200 lbg hog? Hoping it will fit my cooker otherwise gonna break out the cinder blocks. Also, at those sizes is it still the 1 hour per 10lb cooking time rule at 225-250 degrees? At 200lbs would it be a 20 hrs cook with 1-2 hr rest?
Thanks in advance for the info
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28 11 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 1-2' to 5'. As to time of cook there is no answer to this as all cookers are diff. also how many lookyloos are around your pit, outside temp, & temp of pig going in, etc. Its done when it is done. After a few cooks you will know your pit but no-one else does...
hdthndr1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28 11 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually stays pretty steady at 225-250 have a 60 inch grate so hopefully should be good. Nobody will be opening the door as I have a slide in and out coal tray. ANd doing the cook overnight so only a couple guys and a keg will even be there LOL
Just didnt know if I should plan on the 22 hrs or less. Gotta try to be done at 2pm so gonne get it in there around 4pm the day before. If it's early I'll just close it up, drop the heat, and let it rest
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29 11 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

weight mentioned dressed weight or whole hog ? 150 lb. dressed hog usually takes me about 12 hrs. at 250- 275. That is the temp my pig cooker likes to run - not the temp I would like it to run Smile ....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: