FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1st pulled pork

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Balor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26 11 8:57 pm    Post subject: 1st pulled pork Reply with quote

1st off i would like to thank everyone on the site for all their help and knowledge, from making my UDS to helping with my cooks.

This is my 1st attempt on making pulled pork. I did some reading 1st to see if i should use the butt or the shoulder. seems different people like different cuts. so i bought 1 of each. an 8lb butt and an 8lb shoulder. sprinkled with my rub, slathered with mustard then some more rub.

got up at 4am and had the pork on at 5am, Been 4 hrs and UDS is holding at 225. hoping for it to be done cooking around 3pm. I will let toy know how it comes out and which cut i prefer.
JAllen
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26 11 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st pulled pork Reply with quote

Balor wrote:

This is my 1st attempt on making pulled pork. I did some reading 1st to see if i should use the butt or the shoulder. seems different people like different cuts. so i bought 1 of each. an 8lb butt and an 8lb shoulder. sprinkled with my rub, slathered with mustard then some more rub.

got up at 4am and had the pork on at 5am, Been 4 hrs and UDS is holding at 225. hoping for it to be done cooking around 3pm. I will let toy know how it comes out and which cut i prefer.

Balor, good luck with your cook.

The butt you bought might in fact be a ham, in which case you might need to remove it at a lower internal temp than the shoulder/butt.

Let us know how things ended up.
blowtorch
Paul Mitchell hair dryer (swiped)
unashamed foam user
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26 11 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stateside things are USUALLY a little easier than having a guy with a hatchet cutting for you - I did say USUALLY Wink Jeff!!
A shoulder is broken down into two cuts - the picnic and the butt. The picnic is the lower portion of the shoulder and the butt is the upper portion. The picnic contains a shank bone and is often partially covered with skin. The butt has a small blade bone and no visible skin. Chances are you bought a whole shoulder separated and will be just fine. Doing a ham all the way will be ok too, but would be a drier experience!

No pics, it didnt happen!!
Get er done!
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
Balor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26 11 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info guys. i will let you know how it comes out.
JAllen
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26 11 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Tony's BBQ wrote:
Chances are you bought a whole shoulder separated and will be just fine.

Get er done!

Possible, Mr. Tony, but he said they were both 8lbs. I haven't seen an 8lb shank in awhile.

If it's an 8lb ham and he takes it along for the ride with the shoulder butt, that's could be a dryish experience.
blowtorch
unashamed foam user
JAllen
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26 11 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Tony's BBQ wrote:
Stateside things are USUALLY a little easier than having a guy with a hatchet cutting for you - I did say USUALLY Wink Jeff!!

Get er done!

Yeah, the hatchet is a bit tough on the ribs and the briskets out here.

My rib racks are triangle-shaped lately.

But it finds it's way around the pork butts pretty well.
blowtorch
unashamed foam user
Balor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26 11 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, after reading theses again i decided to dig for the wrappers in the trash. heres what i have.

1 picnic butt and 1 shoulder boston butt, is this what i should have gotten or was there a different cut that would have been better?
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26 11 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Balor, I would have gone with two butts. IMHO, they have better flavor.
Oh well, ya didn't do it anyway cause:

Wink Wink You'll learn. Laughing Laughing

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
zysmith
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27 11 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I use just butt for my pulled pork, using both will give you the opportunity to see what you prefer.

Good luck with your first pp experience.
Balor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27 11 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, the picnic butt reached 190 after about 9 hours cooking time. wrapped in foil and let it rest while i grilled the corn and beans. pulled apart nicely and everyone loved it. it was very moist but had some chunky peices of fat in it which i just disguarded.

there was eight of us eating.

the shoulder butt just got finished. it took a good bit longer to reach 190, about 11.5 hours. i have it wrapped but have not pulled it apart yet.
We are all full and after a few beers i am ready for a shower and nap. I will pull it later and make a midnight snack.

the meat on both cuts started falling apart as i lifted them out of the smoker, and it was delish.
Inner10
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27 11 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lets see some pics!

Pull that butt while its still hot.

Shoulder is composed of the top which is the butt and the picnic which is the lower half.
Balor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28 11 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, didn't take any pics. got up early and started the smoker and i was not really thinking of anything else.
my daughter came up for a few days to visit and this was gonna be her last day here. so i told here i would make some pulled pork sammies for dinner.

All i can say is it was great, i have made a few briskets but this was my 1st time making pork. my 2 sons which live with me and have eaten all my cooks so far said that the pulled pork was the best so far.

My cousin is coming up from N.C. this weekend and wants me to make ribs. I am a bit nervous about smoking ribs,
but i will try.
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28 11 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st pulled pork Reply with quote

JAllen wrote:
The butt you bought might in fact be a ham, in which case you might need to remove it at a lower internal temp than the shoulder/butt.

This is the type of thing that can totally confuse a new cook (and almost did as the OP went diving in the trash to find his labels).

The above quoted statement does not make any sense...to me.
SVonhof
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28 11 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it turned out good for you.

FYI, here is a cut chart:
(it's a link since it's too big for the forum rules)
http://sugarmtnfarm.com/blog/uploaded_images/PorkCutsChartLarge.jpg

From: http://flashweb.com/blog/2008/09/pig-cut-chart-poster.html

The butt that is actually a ham that people were talking about is actually the ham and shouldn't be confused with a butt. It comes from the rump portion of the hog and is simply ham meat and should be cooked to about 145°.

The butts you got are actually from the shoulder (confusing for beginners) and are simply two portions of the shoulder that are normally separated and sold as two different cuts, one smaller than the other. Both are tough meats unless cooked properly (to melt the connective tissue). These cuts should be cooked to anywhere from 185-205 depending on if you want to slice or pull and also how easy you want it to pull.

BTW, ribs are easy on the smoker! I don't foil them, but many people do. Read up on here before doing it and go for it!
JAllen
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29 11 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st pulled pork Reply with quote

Pit Boss wrote:
JAllen wrote:

Regarding the quoted statement, I know of a cook in Central Asia, who after reading up on tsr decided to cook a "butt." He went to the meat market, pointed at the tail end of the pig, brought that part home, smoked it to 193...well let's just say it was a bit dry.

I was just trying to make sure that mistake didn't happen again.
blowtorch
unashamed foam user
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29 11 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st pulled pork Reply with quote

JAllen wrote:
Pit Boss wrote:
JAllen wrote:

Regarding the quoted statement, I know of a cook in Central Asia, who after reading up on tsr decided to cook a "butt." He went to the meat market, pointed at the tail end of the pig, brought that part home, smoked it to 193...well let's just say it was a bit dry.

I was just trying to make sure that mistake didn't happen again.

The OP here knew what he had...even though he got confused and went dumpster diving to be sure.

As far as drying out the ham...plenty of folks in my neck of the woods cook only hams for their bbq...pulled. It yields a less moist and less flavorful product than shoulders, but it certainly isn't a "bad" product.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: