FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Deep Fried Pork Spareribs - Oakridge BBQ Style!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kcmike
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01 11 7:51 am    Post subject: Deep Fried Pork Spareribs - Oakridge BBQ Style!! Reply with quote

Yeah, you heard me right. I said Deep Fried Ribs... Sounds like a heart attack on a stick, doesn't it? Well earlier this week a long-time customer of ours, Tom Pavlak of Centralia, MO, told me about a batch he had recently made and I just had to try them for myself. I mean, what could be better than a pork spare rib deep fried to a crispy brown? Not much, I'll tell 'ya, not much.

The premise is fairly simple, you smoke a rack of pork spare ribs for a little bit, then you batter and deep fry them in hot oil. But, in practice it's a little harder to get right than you'd think. Basically, you've got to try to harmonize two disjointed cooking processes to arrive at a perfectly cooked rib; not underdone and not overdone. The secret would lie in the amount of time they would need to par-cook in the smoke first so they were near-done, but still needed a little more cooking time until they were tender. I figured if I could find this perfect balance it would help reduce the time need to fry them, thus helping to prevent overcooking.

First, I trimmed up my pork spare ribs St. Louis style. Then, each side was treated with a light coating of prepared yellow mustard and some Oakridge BBQ Secret Weapon bbq rub.

Next, I heated up my smoker to 225º using Royal Oak lump charcoal and some oak and hickory chunks for flavor. The ribs were placed on the smoker and cooked for 4 hours. Usually, spare ribs take close to six, sometimes six and a half hours until they're done. However, since I knew we'd be deep frying these later, I figured 4 hours in the smoke would be just about right.

After 4 hours, they looked like above and I pulled them from the cooker. I placed the rack on a sheet pan and tented it with aluminum foil. I allowed it to cool sufficiently then placed the slab into the refrigerator to fully chill it down.

Once chilled, I separated the slab into single-bone servings with a sharp knife and built a simple milk/egg wash and some seasoned flour. Meanwhile, I began heating my deep fryer filled with canola oil to 375º.

The battering involved a double-dip process. First the rib was dipped into the egg wash, then into the flour, excess tapped off, then back into the egg wash, and finally back into the flour for a second and final time. The egg wash consisted of two eggs beaten with about a half cup of milk and for the flour dredge, I also added some corn starch, secret weapon rub and some extra salt and black pepper.

I placed each battered rib into the bottom of my fry basket such that they did not touch one another and fried them in multiple batches to prevent them from sticking together. Once out of the fryer, drain on several layers of paper towel and dust liberally with Oakridge BBQ Secret Weapon rub.

Since I already had the grease hot, I also made some steak fries and seasoned them with Oakridge BBQ Game Bird & Chicken rub. Together with some cottage cheese and some ripe red tomatoes, it made a wonderful meal.

The interplay between the succulent savory/smoky interior with the crispy crunchy exterior was literally mind-blowing. They were WONDERFUL! My oldest daughter, who has always loved my regular smoked spare ribs (to the degree of never eating anyone else's ribs, regardless of who made them) asked if I would always make them this way from now on...

Not sure if I'll go quite that far (cause these were a lot of work), but you can guarantee we'll be making these again!

OakridgeBBQ.com ~ Handmade Artisanal Wild Game & Competition BBQ Rubs

Last edited by kcmike on Mon Aug 01 11 8:07 am; edited 1 time in total
jeepdad
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01 11 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kcmike Man, I usually am game for just about anything but a fried spare rib just does not sound appealing to me at all. I'll take your word for it. I like spares too much to try it.

--jeepdad
kcmike
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01 11 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeepdad wrote:
kcmike Man, I usually am game for just about anything but a fried spare rib just does not sound appealing to me at all. I'll take your word for it. I like spares too much to try it.

--jeepdad

Well, they ain't gonn'a permanently replace my standard smoked spares, but they were really, really good and a nice change of pace. I did one rack deep fried, and finished out the other two on the WSM as usual.

OakridgeBBQ.com ~ Handmade Artisanal Wild Game & Competition BBQ Rubs
Shaymus
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01 11 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would eat them. They look pretty good to me.
Geronimo
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01 11 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I have heard of these before but have never given them a try. Like Jeepdad, I like ribs too much.

But...I have a rack in the fridge that I cooked on my new EGG Friday and they needed about an hour more to get as tender as I like them so maybe these would be a perfect to try in the deep fryer. Shocked Shocked

Now to get the wife to go along with it.. Laughing Laughing Wink
BriGreentea
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01 11 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smoking my pretty bb's right now and come across this. Smile

I've never even heard of trying this but I'm game for it. This probably would be the only way you could fry it so it doesn't turn out like concrete. Looks good and give a thumbs up for experimentation.
Mr. Mojo Risin'
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01 11 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I HAVE to try this!

I don't make mistakes...just understandable bad choices.

Oklahoma Joe's Longhorn Smoker
ProBBQ Excel 20
k.c.hawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01 11 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kcmike I'm just down the road from you in Lees Summit. This thread is like a bad car crash....you know better than to look but you still do. My cardiologist monitors this web site and if he sees me in here I'm going to be summoned to the office Shocked
30" Masterbuilt Digital
UDS (Named Uddley by Mrs K.C.)
Weber 26.75 One Touch
Weber 22.5 Silver Touch
Weber Smokey Joe
Superfast Red Thermopen
Razorback born and bred!
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01 11 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not knocking it but somehow this doesn't sound right to my gut. On the other hand it would make another disco recipe Very Happy ...
slow&low
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02 11 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A week ago or so I was watching a reality show on TV, I think the title was "Deep Fried" they followed a Fair vendor, (Chicken Charlie????) and he did deep fried ribs (no smoking ind advance, just used a BBQ sauce with his batter) supposedly it was pretty good according to one of the dude that tried it......
zysmith
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02 11 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cottage cheese and tomatoes!? Isn't that a lot like drinking Diet Coke with your pepperoni, sausage and hamburger pizza?

lol

Those ribs look great.
Tacket

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02 11 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking photos! Especially like your close ups.
coyote
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02 11 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Cardiologist will send you his bill.

Gold Rush Smokers
Lang 60/D
Weber Performer
KCBS CBJ
SVonhof
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02 11 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting twist on the standard ribs. I showed some of the guys I work with and one was over the top over it saying he had to try it sometime and the other was wondering why ruin good ribs.

At least you get a response from it, good or bad, right?!
DoctorGrill

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02 11 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's crazy. I will say it looks like you did a good job on them.
Skills on all 3
pafisher
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02 11 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd try it , how bad could it be ? im sure ive had worse
Inner10
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02 11 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks too delicious!
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02 11 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jess wrote:
Not knocking it but somehow this doesn't sound right to my gut. On the other hand it would make another disco recipe Very Happy ...

I'd certainly agree, and your gut will certainly not be "right" first thing next morning! Wink Laughing Laughing Laughing

Looks like you are ready for the carnival circuit Mike! Razz

No fried ribs for me thanks, but if somebody else was making them I'd at least try one!
SimonSmokes
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02 11 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kinda reminds me of the deep fried confied pork belly in Nose to Tail Eating...

for those who don't know, confit means slowly cooked in fat...so basically you take this fatty cut (pork belly), slowly cook it in duck or pork fat for like 2-3h, and then finish it up in the fryer before serving. insane.

the ribs don't appeal to me as much as that pork belly recipe, but i would certainly try it if it was presented to me.

the ribs looked really good before you cut them btw. really nice. good quality pictures, certainly not from a phone cam. what are you using ?

Last edited by SimonSmokes on Tue Aug 02 11 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
romex2121
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02 11 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here in NM. the spanish people deep fry alot of things , porkbelly, porkbutt, etc,, and it all taste good to me Laughing id have to say id try those ribs Wink BTW enjoyed the pics,,,,,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: