FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smoking on Gas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steveemait

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06 11 8:08 pm    Post subject: Smoking on Gas Reply with quote

I crudely set up my 2 burner (side by side) gas bbq for smoking as follows:

I moved all the lava rocks to one side and placed water soaked wood chips in a foil wrap on top them and the other side I placed a tray of water .

Starting the bbq on one side on lowest setting, with the lid closed my temp soars to 300f very quickly. To get it down to 250f I have to wedge it open about 2 inches so I loose the smoke, what I settled for was to have it open about 1in with temp of 280f.

Any idea on how I can lower my temp? I also tried turning the gas down on the cylinder, but this didn’t seem to have any effect. The thermometer I am using is brand new and I mounted it myself slightly off centre (away from heat source) about 2 inches above grate.

Thanks in advance
Sgt. Stel
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06 11 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I double check every thermometer I have because I've been bit twice badly over my years of Q'in by a bad thermometer. In this case I'd grab 2 cheap oven thermometers and test them in the oven in the house to verify the accuracy. Then I'd set up your gas grill for smoking but leave out the wood chips (smoke will cloud glass therms). Let it run a bit and see what the therms read. Move them to different parts of the pit close the lid for 10 minutes and take another readying.

This would verify what your installed therm is telling you and give a more information for deciding next steps.

Sgt. Stel
Custom Offset - USMC Special "Sarge"
T&K Gravity Feed, Medium
fredaevans
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06 11 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"+1" to the above. Working with someone else's old, and I do mean OLD, Q over the last few days. Add to that it was cheap as chips when purchased.

Talk about a 're-learning experience! Shocked Reminded me why I went 'bucks up' when I purchased my Weber years back.

fae
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06 11 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difficulty is, you are trying to win the Grand National with a cart horse, it may get you through the first few jumps but taking Becher's Brook may prove problematic!

You are trying to use a gas grill, (designed for grilling temperatures), to cook low and slow temperatures.

1) Don't soak your wood chips.
2) On cheaper grills the gas regulators are either on or off.
3) On more expensive grills the gas regulators are progressive and allow you greater control of the heat.
4) So you can fight with what you have, add a shelf or put the grates up, raising the meat into the smoke area, keep a draft running through, get a two probe thermometer so you can monitor meat and grate temperatures.
5) Upgrade your gas grill, or buy / build a charcoal smoker, the UDS's are an easy first step if you can line up a 44 Gallon (Imperial) Drum.

I still work here!
BBQ Padawan
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09 11 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also use a 2-burner (front/back) gasser for smoking chicken or salmon (ribs/butts/tri-tip ALWAYS go on the Kettle!). I do not have the high temp issues you are having due in part that my gasser uses natural gas (not propane). NG does not burn as hot as propane which is a bummer for grilling/searing but it is great for slow cook (230F). If you have access to a NG line, and OK with lower cooking temp when grilling, go for it!

As for smoke, I gave up on chips and place chucks above the front burner which is set at low. I place the meat on the warming grate attached to the lid with a tray of water on the grates directly underneath.

HTH
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: