FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A couple questions..Pulled Pork and Ribs related

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frankncali
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01 11 5:18 pm    Post subject: A couple questions..Pulled Pork and Ribs related Reply with quote

So I am wondering a couple things and trying to get some different opinions...

1- What are you characteristics for PP if its underdone and if overdone?
I had one this week that really became too soft and almost like a hash to me. Seemed overdone to me and I think I pulled (handled) it too much

2- Same question with ribs?
Do you try for fall off the bone? A certain temp to pull from smoker or a certain feel?
I smoke my ribs at 250 and it seems to be 4 hours. I use a foil method. It seems to be a little too much guess work for my liking..

Love the site and am looking forward learning more and more
Bigfoot21075

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01 11 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBQ is not an exact science AND people like it different. Some want that brainwashed "fall off the bone" rib. All that means is you over cooked your ribs and turned them into mush. It is far easier to make 50 racks a day of fall off the bone ribs to sell, than 50 racks that are in that ever so small window of prefectly done, where the meat is tender, juicy, and flavorful. Where when you bite the rib the bite comes off easily but does not pull all of the meat off with it.
For rib doneness I pick them up with tongs, if they bend and just begin to crack the surface they are done. Others use a tooth pick to test doneness.

As for pulled pork, like ribs "it's done when it's done" no timer in the world can tell you when just when they might be close. For pulled pork I start checking for done when the temp gets to 185. When I can slide my thermopen into the pork and it feels like I am sliding it in Peanut Butter, I know it is time to pull it and wrap it up to rest till I am ready for it.
Superior SS2
Round Boy Wood Fired Oven
jbs

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01 11 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought on the PP. The only time mine was mush was when I injected it. I don't know if that was the reason for sure or not, but any other butts I have done I didn't inject and they were fine. I have always pulled them off the smoker at 195F.
JAllen
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01 11 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds amateurish, but we always pull at 193 and have never had a problem in the past 8 months.

The reason we pull at 193 is often the butts are finishing between midnight and six am when our night bar person is working.

I just tell them "keep the smoker at 230 and pull the butts at 193."
blowtorch
Paul Mitchell hair dryer (swiped)
unashamed foam user
KENLUDE97

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01 11 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbs wrote:
Just a thought on the PP. The only time mine was mush was when I injected it. I don't know if that was the reason for sure or not, but any other butts I have done I didn't inject and they were fine. I have always pulled them off the smoker at 195F.

I've injected and brined a PP and neither time did they turn to mush, just great SUPER moist PP Smile (brine better than injecting)
lantern
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01 11 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: A couple questions..Pulled Pork and Ribs related Reply with quote

frankncali wrote:
So I am wondering a couple things and trying to get some different opinions...

1- What are you characteristics for PP if its underdone and if overdone?
I had one this week that really became too soft and almost like a hash to me. Seemed overdone to me and I think I pulled (handled) it too much

2- Same question with ribs?
Do you try for fall off the bone? A certain temp to pull from smoker or a certain feel?
I smoke my ribs at 250 and it seems to be 4 hours. I use a foil method. It seems to be a little too much guess work for my liking..

Love the site and am looking forward learning more and more

Bigfoot had just about a perfect reply to this in my opinion.

But, as far as pulled pork goes I CAN give you a general idea with temps and texture ASSUMING the pork is not enhanced or has been injected with a tenderizer such as pineapple juice or anything containing an enzyme like papain.

Super simplified temps. 180-185 is slicing temps. 189-195 pulling temps with larger chunks. 195-205 pulling with smaller chunks softer texture.

EDIT: these temps and textures also assume that there is NO wrapping during the smoke and there is no HEAVY moisture/steam involved.
frankncali
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02 11 12:47 am    Post subject: THANKS Reply with quote

thanks

I just kind of was looking for some confirmation and different opinions.
I like to pull my PP at 195 and then put in a cooler. This last batch a friend was the "puller offer" and out of the six a couple were in the 205 to 210 range.
I wondered if that caused the mushy texture.

I am going to stick with my 195 for pulled pork.

Ribs I found this method that kind of works for me. Its just set times.
I do like smoking a little hotter @250 with ribs.
Here is what I do...tell me if you think anything is way off
I mustard them and dry rub them to start....I always dry rub but at times haven't mustarded them. I have not noticed a big difference.
I leave them alone for 2 hours then pulled them to wrap.
I wrap and add some butter, a 2nd and different rub and then a tiny amount os sauce/glaze.
I let them go for another hour to hour and a quarter.

I unfoil and then add a little rub and place back on unwrapped. I generally go right to the 4 hour mark and pull or add a little warm to hot bbq sauce and get that heated and pull to eat.

I haven't had any trouble with them really except once. Once they were over done and falling off the bone too much. I have had an rack or two be a little tougher but nothing bad.
I really like the 3 rubs and they aren't that heavy. I prefer a semi dry rib instead of one dripping in BBQ sauce but others like different stuff.

I will try the bend test this weekend to see where I am at.

I also usually buy spares and trim them myself. For some reason to me a nice uniform rack of ribs is a thing of beauty. I like to get them trimmed up as best I can and they are a good bit cheaper than buying St Louis Style.

I rarely have done babybacks and wonder if I will have to adjust times or method.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02 11 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trimmed spares at 4 hours including 1:15 in the foil would be an overcooked rib for me most of the time, (preferences vary so lets leave that on one side), on the UDS at 250° I'm right at 3:15 - 3:20, for a clean biting rib, in dry conditions, (<30% humidity), at 4500' above sea level.

Baby Backs only take 2/3 - 3/4 of the time of trimmed spares.

You need to test out cooking times for each style of rib, to find out how it works on your pit with your methods... before you cook it for someone else and get the timing wrong on the big day!

See disclaimer below!

I still work here!
GeorgeH
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02 11 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I don't really care for fall off the bones ribs although if you want them that way you will probably need to use foil (which you are apparently already using).

I prefer to cook ribs in the smoker for the entire duration of the cook with no foil. They won't be fall of the bone tender and will require a little bit of chew but that is the way I like them. If you have a good smoker, the ribs should still be moist when done without using foil.

Pulled pork is actually pretty simple. You have to cook to an internal temperature of at least 185 degf or you won't be able to pull it. I have not used foil in the past but I'm thinking about trying it on pulled pork.

George
frankncali
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03 11 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I don't prefer them falling off the bone either.

I started using foil with this method simply because I seemed to be getting very consistent racks this way and they were nice and moist.
I have been looking for characteristics of undercooked,overcooked,too much seasonings,foiling,not foiling,brining, not brining etc etc etc
I just want to make sure I am familiar with what went wrong or right as I am learning so that I can make adjustments.

Thanks to everyone for the help

GeorgeH wrote:
Personally I don't really care for fall off the bones ribs although if you want them that way you will probably need to use foil (which you are apparently already using).

I prefer to cook ribs in the smoker for the entire duration of the cook with no foil. They won't be fall of the bone tender and will require a little bit of chew but that is the way I like them. If you have a good smoker, the ribs should still be moist when done without using foil.

Pulled pork is actually pretty simple. You have to cook to an internal temperature of at least 185 degf or you won't be able to pull it. I have not used foil in the past but I'm thinking about trying it on pulled pork.

George
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: