FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pepperoni Snack Sticks
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevec3135

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02 11 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin - stupid question but do you use dark syrup or clear thanks
Kevin P
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02 11 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevec3135 wrote:
Kevin - stupid question but do you use dark syrup or clear thanks

Steve— I used the basic 'clear' Karo syrup. I suppose no harm in using either, if you've the dark on hand. Not likely to alter the flavor profile much.

—Kevin
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20 12 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin P wrote:
Jarhead wrote:
Looks delicious Kevin.
Got a recipe for it?
Thanks.

Pepperoni Sticks
Courtesy of Nepas

For 2 1/2 lbs
Meat:
1-1/2 Lb Pork butt (25% fat)
1 Lb lean Ground Beef (10% fat)

Spices & such:
(When increasing the amount or size of a recipe, I find it much easier and more accurate to measure by weight versus volume (i.e. tsp or tblspoon). For example, if 1.75 tsp kosher salt weighs 11grams, doubling the recipe means using 22grams of salt, etc.)

1 3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cure #1
1 Tbs paprika
1 1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp garlic granules
1/4 tsp anise seed, slightly crushed
1/4 tsp allspice
1/2 cup powdered dry milk (make it fine)
1/4 cup fermento
2 Tbs corn syrup (Karo)
1/4 cup red wine (*I actually cut this amount in half in my sticks)
6 Tbs cold water

Mix all the dry into the liquids. Mix well in a plastic bowl or measuring cup. Place liquid mix in fridge for 15-20 mins. Add chilled seasoned liquid to the ground meat and mix well for 3-5 min.

When ready stuff the casings. Take ropes or links and place on racks or cookie sheet and cover with paper towel and put back in fridge overnight (important: dont skip this step)

Next morning hang pepperoni in smoker at 130° for 1-2 hours (no smoke) until casings feel dry. Start smoke after the dry period at 140° & continue raising temp over the next 4-6 hours until 170-175° is reached. Your target IT is going to be 160° (although i pulled mine at 155°).

cooling racks/sticks (do not water shower) and allow to bloom at room temp. Place pepperoni back in fridge uncovered overnight.

In this recipe it calls for Fermento ........I do not have fermento but I do have ECA....would it be wrong to leave out the fermento and use ECA to create the tang.
Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
Two of the fastest Thermapens ever made ... Black& Blue
LIAR #25
Kevin P
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20 12 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian Bacon wrote:
In this recipe it calls for Fermento ........I do not have fermento but I do have ECA....would it be wrong to leave out the fermento and use ECA to create the tang.

Tang is tang, so I think you'll be a-okay using the ECA. For most sticks I use ECA anyway.

-Kevin
Camper Bob

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14 14 10:51 pm    Post subject: Beef Sticks Reply with quote

I just ordered a LEM jerky cannon and I had a few questions. When should I use casings and when not. Should I just put the sticks in a smoker or just in a dehydrator. I smoked two 9 lb pork butts over the weekend for the first time. Came out fabulously. I attended a sausage making class last week, and am getting ready to purchase a LEM meat grinder. Then a stuffer. After all this, will have to round up enough people to eat all this stuff. Somehow, I don't think that will be a problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Making All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: