FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Too much smoke!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ColbyBBQ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23 11 1:37 am    Post subject: Too much smoke! Reply with quote

Last weekend I smoked my first boston butt.

The meat was tender and juicy, but the smokey flavor was way too intense. I used hickory chips for about 8 hours out of the 12.

I'm thinking of switching to cherry or apple and only smoking for 4-5 hours.

Any thoughts/ideas?
Q-in
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23 11 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to use about 3 decent size chunks of apple and 2 smaller chunks of hickory.I foil it around 165
Chico

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26 11 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see how Hickory for that long would be overpowering. I usually use apple chunks all the way through the cook.... I find the smoke is mild enough that it's not overpowering.

I recently started using Cherry chips in combination with apple chunks and have enjoyed the results!
bootlegbbq
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08 11 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use hickory "only" and smoke for 9 hours minimum. Make sure you're smoking with a thin blue smoke and not a heavy white smoke.
250gal. Offset Smoker
84 Lang Kitchen
Ya know how ya git to Carnegie Hall don't cha...practice

www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36580
u63405
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03 12 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's a lot of smoke for a long time. like others said try and use maybe 4 fist size chunks. continue the long cooks cuz it takes butts a long time to cook unless you go HH.
Texas 1836
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04 12 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, I guess everyone has their own flavor profile they are looking for, but I have to say I cook ONLY with hickory on a Gator off set. I cook around 225 and have done butts for up to 12 hours. Bootleg has good advice as well. You don't want to see heavy smoke, just very light, or what is called "blue smoke".

Not sure what you are cooking on, and that might give us some clues. I have to say that using hickory "chips" and the right smoke, I just can't see it being too smokey for me. But like I said, you have a certain flavor you are looking for.

How was the bark? Was it thick?

Backyard Party Gator
BigD83

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16 12 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using all three types being hickory, apple, and cherry. I usually start with hickory and apple the first four hours and then finish with the apple and cherry. As soon as it hits 165 degrees I double foil then take it to 195 let rest for about half hour the start pulling turns out great. I know where the OP is coming from, my wife doesn't like the overpowering of the smoke either.
GeorgeH
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16 12 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After I pull pork, I always mix it up really well so the smoked meat on the outside is well mixed with meat from the insides. It makes all the meat have a smoke flavor.

George
Notdumasilook

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30 12 5:45 am    Post subject: smoke Reply with quote

I know everyone is different but I never use raw wood to cook, either in chunks or chips. That yellow smoke has moisture in it and impurities, and when it gets white, that is the creosote coming off the wood that coats the meat with a bitter nasty taste. I either use raw lump charcoal and/or burn oak, pecan, or hickory down until its just glowing coals with maybe a dab of whispy white smoke coming off then feed it in to the firebox. The end result a delicate smoke flavor that enhances the meat without that bitter creosote taste.
CliffC
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02 12 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: smoke Reply with quote

Notdumasilook wrote:
I know everyone is different but I never use raw wood to cook, either in chunks or chips. That yellow smoke has moisture in it and impurities, and when it gets white, that is the creosote coming off the wood that coats the meat with a bitter nasty taste. I either use raw lump charcoal and/or burn oak, pecan, or hickory down until its just glowing coals with maybe a dab of whispy white smoke coming off then feed it in to the firebox. The end result a delicate smoke flavor that enhances the meat without that bitter creosote taste.

I guess I have never seen "yellow" smoke, what is it?
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02 12 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally yellow or yellow green smoke is a sign that your fire is not actually hot enough, there is too much fuel and not enough O2 so you are getting smoldering not a complete burn.

If you choke off your exhaust, or if you don't have enough intake, you can end up with smoldering wood, clean combustion gives more heat and less smoke, and will give a pleasant smokiness... sooting and smoldering.

Always put chunks and splits, split side down, bark side up, preheat on or in the firebox, leave the door open long enough to start the wood with a good flame.

Above all practice good fire control, a clean burning fire produces more heat shimmer at the exhaust than smoke, if your pit is smoking, especially colored smoke, increase you intake, and you should see the smoke clear.

I still work here!
Notdumasilook

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14 12 7:05 am    Post subject: yellow smoke Reply with quote

Generally when burning raw wood there is still moisture locked up inside. The first smoke to come off a typical wood fire is usually yellowish in color due to this moisture and impurities. Second comes the blue gray smoke which has the creosote, another nasty (and bitter) impurity. Both will condense on the side of "cold meat" giving it a flavor all its own.. kind of like I'd imagine an ashtray tasting like. Took me a few times screwing up some great cuts of meat before I did some digging (in this site actually) and now I only put the meat on when the smoke coming off is reduced to a thin wispy barely noticeable white smoke. Im sure others have their own opinions and taste, but my method works for me. An easy test to see if your smoker is putting out creosote is to hold a glass of ice water over the smoke stack for a little bit. It'll give it a darkish residue. Give the glass a lick and taste the bitter/numbing taste.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14 12 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I was assuming that you would have seasoned your wood before using it.

Most of the wood I burn is at 23% or less, some as low as 16%, if you are burning green wood you can be as high as 75 or 80%, so you are correct raw green wood will do that for you... that said, if you know it will do that for you, do you take the meat off every time you put a new piece of wood on, and then put the meat back in when the smoke settles down?

Or do you season / dry your wood out so it doesn't happen virtually at all, (there are still the occasional smoky piece of wood), but seasoned wood is a totally different ball game than green wood.

See disclaimer below!

I still work here!
Notdumasilook

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14 12 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wood I use to use was oak and pecan. I have an abundent supply and yes its all cured. None of it was raw green wood. Keep in mind I have a small simple back yard smoker, not some huge firebox that I can crank up the temps in. Anytime I smoke stuff now ( and I am smoking some butts now) I use lump charcoal along with wood that I burn in a seperate fire bucket down to coals and add the burning coals to my firebox with a small hand shovel. Generally I can get a good 5 hour@ 240 burn before having to add anything. All I know is this works for me now and the meat comes out extremely good with a gorgeous "smoke ring".. that sweet smokey taste instead of my first attempts, that came out looking somewhat like meteors.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14 12 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made a few meteors in my time! Wink

I still work here!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Pork Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: