FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

pork butt cheating

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dinger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25 11 6:42 am    Post subject: pork butt cheating Reply with quote

Okay people of the ring. I have smoked a butt once before and spent 14 hours cooking an 8$ piece of meat. That is a crazy long time. Now comes the question of cheating. How long can i smoke the butt for, getting that smokey flavor then put it in the oven and hurry it along.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25 11 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: pork butt cheating Reply with quote

dinger wrote:
How long can i smoke the butt for, getting that smokey flavor then put it in the oven and hurry it along.

How long have you got?

I would look at 5 or 6 hours in the smoke, then cheat in the oven.

I still work here!
Chico

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26 11 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll probably get a million different opinions... I agree with "how much time have you got"... I've gone as little as 3 hrs in the smoke beofre finishing in the oven, but I wouldn't go any less than that.

On the flipside, I've also gone as long as 14 hrs in smoke before finishing in the oven.
Notdumasilook

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14 12 7:31 am    Post subject: smoke flavor Reply with quote

Over the years reading on this site Ive read that once the meat hits 140 degrees it will not take any more smoke taste. I have finished my fair share in the gas oven over nite to keep from having to sit up all hours using that temp and Im happy with the finished product. Another helpful thing I have discovered is let your meat come to room temp before putting it on the smoker. Truthfully it sure does cut down on the cook times. I put 2 shoulders on today at 130 pm and 730 pm (cooking at 240) they are near 180 degrees.
Another hint. No peeking. "if yer lookin u aint cookin". Each time you open that smoker you are letting the meat rest and losing heat.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14 12 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: smoke flavor Reply with quote

Notdumasilook wrote:
Over the years reading on this site Ive read that once the meat hits 140 degrees it will not take any more smoke taste.

Looks like I'm just riding your ass today but I'm honestly not trying to.

It will not make more of a smoke ring... the smoke ring is a chemical reaction between the myoglobin in the meat and the nitrates and nitrites in the smoke, this stops at somewhere around 135 to 140.

Smoke flavor on the other hand will continue to build from 40° to 400°, (these two figures I pulled out of my hat for amusement), so if you wrap your meat you are keeping it from the smoke flavor.

Quote:
I have finished my fair share in the gas oven over nite to keep from having to sit up all hours using that temp and Im happy with the finished product. Another helpful thing I have discovered is let your meat come to room temp before putting it on the smoker. Truthfully it sure does cut down on the cook times.

You can of course let your meat get up to room temperature... but the warmer the meat is the less time you have to cook it before it gets to 135 -140 and you stop getting the smoke ring formation. If your room is at 65 you only have 70°, some cookers can have the inside of the meat there in 2.5 or 3 hours. If on the other hand you start with cold meat out of the fridge, 38 - 40° you just gained another hour of building smoke ring.

So there are many ways to cooks, no pure rights and wrongs, but things that change one part, often change other parts.

Quote:
I put 2 shoulders on today at 130 pm and 730 pm (cooking at 240) they are near 180 degrees.
Another hint. No peeking. "if yer lookin u aint cookin". Each time you open that smoker you are letting the meat rest and losing heat.

6 hours difference and they are both at the same temperature, not sure how that happens!

I still work here!
Notdumasilook

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14 12 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL naw.. both went on at the same time.. and are were hitting 180 at the same time. Feel free to ride all you want. Its all educational. I know the smoke ring is a chemical reaction.. one you just cant get with gas (ive tried that too) smokers. The science behind it is interesting and all, but the finished product its more interesting and tastey. I have smoked meats in lots of dif ways during my learning process on this little smoker. I can not tell a lot of diff if I let them stay on the smoker for 16 hours or 8 and finish them in the gas oven over night. The 140 info I got reading post in here from the professional guys. Took their advice with seemingly no ill effect. I still have that nice deep smoke ring as well as the sweet smokey taste. Finished product makes me and wifey happy and several neigbors as well. Oh and the info on letting them come to room temp before tossing them on the smoker.. came from the pros here as well. I am sure opinions and taste vary greatly. But the stuff I have picked up on in here and tried for the most part has really worked well. Thanks alot for your input.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14 12 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome!

Glad to have your understanding!

Many paths up the mountain to get to the top!

I still work here!
Garry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16 12 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What temperature are you cooking at? If that takes that long you are cooking at too low of a temp.
Notdumasilook

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16 12 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if the question was for me. Myself I run em at 230 - 240. I use that brown sugar/ paprika based rub and it taste like crap if I burn the sugar. I do not wrap them during the cook so I get a nice crunchy bark (wifey eats it like candy) Experimenting now with various ways to keep the bark crunchy even when I let them rest for a few hours before the pull.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Pork Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: