FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Honey-Cured Bacon.............
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05 11 3:00 am    Post subject: Honey-Cured Bacon............. Reply with quote

Per each 5-pounds of pork belly use 1 level tsp of cure #1

Per each pound of belly use;
1TBS kosher salt
1.5 tsp granulated sugar
2-cups honey

mix the cure, salt, & sugar together, spread evenly on all sides of the pork belly, then smear a few cups of honey all over it, (yes, it is a friggin mess) roll the belly up to conserve space, wrap tightly in plastic, hide it in the lower depths of your fridge for 5-7 days, when the wait time is done, rinse the messy slab of belly in cold running water, hang it to dry at room temperature until the outer surface feels tacky. Smoke at temps of less than 100 degrees for 16-24 or until the desired color is met, remover, hang to let cool, refrigerate for at least 5 hours, slice, enjoy, eat so much that you feel sick, and get your next batch started cuz this is not going to last too long before it is all gone.
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05 11 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry that sounds great. Thanks for the recipe. Gonna have to give it a try on my next batch.
I'm visualizing you with honey all over you, the counter, the walls and the floor. Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing
And oh yes, the BEE factor. Wink

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07 11 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jarhead wrote:
Harry that sounds great. Thanks for the recipe. Gonna have to give it a try on my next batch.
I'm visualizing you with honey all over you, the counter, the walls and the floor. Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing
And oh yes, the BEE factor. Wink

I did have honey up to my elbows, along with salt, cure, pork jiz, etc etc etc.

I law down 18" plastic wrap in a hotel pan, cure and spread the honey while it is on the plastic, then I roll it up and wrap the plastic around it to keep it from drying out while it is curing.

I got 60 pounds of belly coming in tomorrow, half is going to be honey-cured, the rest is getting the same treatment but with maple syrup instead.

I'm smoking cured loins today, and making pea-meal bacon too
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07 11 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just started 44lb of belly pork on Sunday afternoon, and didn't read this thread till this morning!

I have some really nice honey I'd use for this, I think it may have to happen with the next batch.

Is it just me, or are pork bellies getting meatier?

I still work here!
GF
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07 11 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry, the recipe does sound great.
Do you think I could use Tender Quick instead of the salt and cure #1?
Thanks.
Virginiasmoke
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12 11 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: Honey-Cured Bacon............. Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:
hang it to dry at room temperature until the outer surface feels tacky.

Approximately how long is this? It can't be done for very long at room temps can it?
SoEzzy wrote:
Is it just me, or are pork bellies getting meatier?

I wish I could say the same. I've been having problems with way more fat than meat.
Is there a particular part of the belly I should be asking for? I just ask for 5 lbs of pork belly and wonder if I'm getting the part that those that know better are leaving behind.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13 11 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GF & VS

About 3-4 hours hang time is all it takes (depending on humidity level) to form a pellicle.
if you put a belly in the smoker while it is still damp, you will not get good smoke penetration, and the outer appearance will also suffer.

Spoilage is not a concern here when hanging it to dry, remember this is cured meat, and the 24-48 hours smoking time is right in the 40-140 zone, so do not worry about a few hours hang time at room temp.

Yes, Tenderquick can be substituted, I would add some sugar to the mix though, maybe 1tsp per pound. After curing, make sure to rinse the belly real well.

Meatier bellies? as in the fat to meat ratio? or the thickness?
I know the prices are still at record highs. My last case was $2.09/LB! I paid $1.52 for boneless backloins! WTF? Why is belly and ears costing me more than boneless backloins?

Pork quality was awful this last summer, I had to switch styles of ribs cuz the spares I was seeing were way thin on meat, and the cutters on the production line were adding huge pieces of chine-bone to try and make the 4.5# weight I specified when I opened my place. I ended up changing packing houses, and they created a product number to meet my specs for STL's for me.
Virginiasmoke
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13 11 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:
Meatier bellies? as in the fat to meat ratio? or the thickness?

Fat to meat ratio.
I just was curious if I should be asking for center cut or anything like that.
It crossed my mind that just by asking for "5 lbs of pork belly", I may be getting the cut that the pros wouldn't pay for because they know better.
If it doesn't matter... I guess I'll just write it off to a season of poor quality.
GF
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13 11 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Harry, I'll report back after my experiment with this.
Inner10
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16 11 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 cups of honey per pound? That could get REALLY expensive.
phil c
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22 11 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds really good! I am a beekeeper and I'm always looking for new recipies.

2 cups of honey a mess? try 25-30 lbs. splilled due to a bad valve on a bottling tank.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23 11 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phil c wrote:
That sounds really good! I am a beekeeper and I'm always looking for new recipies.

2 cups of honey a mess? try 25-30 lbs. splilled due to a bad valve on a bottling tank.

Use the low grade dark amber for the Bacon, the concentrated flavor comes through real well.

I would love to have my own bee's, but being allergic to bee venom could be a problem. It is a cumulative allergy that just showed up in the last few years after getting nailed by wasps, and then again a few weeks later by some yellow jackets while out picking blueberries.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26 11 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize, honey usage is 1.5-2 cups per 12-14 pound belly, not per each pound.

I also adjusted my recipe to .75TBS of salt and sugar per each pound to make the honey flavor more prominent.

Smoking, try to keep temps under 100 degrees, we want to cold smoke this, not cook it in the smoker.
GF
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04 12 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry, I just put a 6.5 lb. hunk of belly into the fridge to cure. Very Happy
You certainly didn't overstate the mess involved. Shocked
You mention keeping the smoker temp under 100, would just cold smoke, no heat, work?
Also what wood would you suggest? I'm thinking a lighter wood like apple or cherry.
Thanks again.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04 12 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GF wrote:
Harry, I just put a 6.5 lb. hunk of belly into the fridge to cure. Very Happy
You certainly didn't overstate the mess involved. Shocked
You mention keeping the smoker temp under 100, would just cold smoke, no heat, work?
Also what wood would you suggest? I'm thinking a lighter wood like apple or cherry.
Thanks again.

Cold smoke is perfect, I use about 80% sugar-maple 20% Oak when doing delicately flavored bacon's like this. I would go with apple as long as you have it.
I Also like to keep a real light color for the honey-cured to help tell it apart from the other varieties
GF
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05 12 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Harry, I will go with the apple. I just got some sugar maple rounds, it's gonna be a while before it's seasoned enough to use though. I'll report back in a week or so.
Thanks again.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05 12 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maple seasons quickly compared to the Oak varieties from my experience.
The pit that I use prefers fresh-cut wood, when it is burning I have moisture bubbling out the ends and I need to watch out for steam burns when I add more wood. If I use seasoned wood in my pit, it will belch black smoke at me all damn day. Weird, huh?
GF
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06 12 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:
Maple seasons quickly compared to the Oak varieties from my experience.
The pit that I use prefers fresh-cut wood, when it is burning I have moisture bubbling out the ends and I need to watch out for steam burns when I add more wood. If I use seasoned wood in my pit, it will belch black smoke at me all damn day. Weird, huh?

That is kinda wierd Harry, contrary to everything you hear. But you know your cooker and how it works best. I may try adding in a few pieces to my half a$$ed smoke generator on the uds and see how it goes. I got the wood about 2 weeks ago and it was horizontal about 2 minutes before I grabbed it. The saw the guy cutting it used hadn't even cooled off.
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21 12 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So i am going to do some Canadian soon and want to try this recipe. What do you say Harry about how this will work with a loin?
I do have maple, apple, and oak available to use for the smoke. I also run the smoker at 225° the cook as i let the pellicle set up overnight in the fridge.
#3 LIAR
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21 12 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O-S;

I would start the pit at a way lower temperature, and bring the temps up slowly until you reach 152F internal. You want to keep that layer of fat from melting during the smoke, and try to keep as much moisture in the loin as possible.

When I do C-B, My pit temps never exceed 180, and it takes a few hours to get there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: