FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Honey-Cured Bacon.............
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBQonICE
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26 12 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

harry how does this bacon fry up? any concern on it burning prematurely especially with the high sugar content of the maple or honey and a higher fat content?
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26 12 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBQonICE wrote:
harry how does this bacon fry up? any concern on it burning prematurely especially with the high sugar content of the maple or honey and a higher fat content?

Keep your heat a little lower, it browns a little faster, but that creates a crunchy crust and you still have flexible bacon.
I would suggest baking it in a 350 degree oven on a sheet pan.
It is great stuff.
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22 12 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grill it.
TonyMo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03 13 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was my first attempt at bacon. TURNED OUT GREAT!!!
I will definitely do this again.
I cut a whole pork belly in half and trimmed the skin off. I did half with honey and half with real maple syrup.

The difference in flavour was very noticeable and both were awesome. I used apple wood for smoking.

As already mentioned, this will burn easily because of the sugar, so turn down the heat when cooking

I gave some to the neighbours and have already received orders for the next batch. Very Happy
Thanks for the inspiration

polishdon
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09 13 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a slab of the honey and a slab of maple syrup in the cure, cant wait to try it.

Do I need to be concerned about the honey pulling the cure mix off while I was applying it?
Double Kettle Pizza Cooker
Current Trailer Project
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09 13 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

polishdon wrote:
I've got a slab of the honey and a slab of maple syrup in the cure, cant wait to try it.

Do I need to be concerned about the honey pulling the cure mix off while I was applying it?

Nope, it will all liquefy from the water that gets drawn out of the meat.

When I do ours, I have the belly in a pan that it will stay in until done, I pour the honey on, and use a sheet of plastic wrap on top to distribute the honey. The plastic wraps stay on for the cure time too
polishdon
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09 13 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks harry, I see what you mean now that I flipped it for the first time, much more liquid than when I put it in.
Current Trailer Project
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10 13 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

polishdon wrote:
Thanks harry, I see what you mean now that I flipped it for the first time, much more liquid than when I put it in.

Don't drain the liquid, it is highly concentrated with the cure and draining it may create some issues.

When I do my bellies that do not get honey or syrups, I roll them up and wrap in plastic, for my bellies that get the sloppy sticky stuff, they get laid flat and covered.

When you're done with curing, make sure you rinse the meat to get any extra cure/salt/sugar off.
And before smoking I suggest hanging it to dry a little, or pat it down with clean lint-free towels. Moisture on the outside can affect smoke penetration and color development.

I miss making bacon, and if my health inspector continues on her current path, she is going to regulate it out of existence for us.
polishdon
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10 13 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:

Don't drain the liquid, it is highly concentrated with the cure and draining it may create some issues.

When I do my bellies that do not get honey or syrups, I roll them up and wrap in plastic, for my bellies that get the sloppy sticky stuff, they get laid flat and covered.

When you're done with curing, make sure you rinse the meat to get any extra cure/salt/sugar off.
And before smoking I suggest hanging it to dry a little, or pat it down with clean lint-free towels. Moisture on the outside can affect smoke penetration and color development.

I miss making bacon, and if my health inspector continues on her current path, she is going to regulate it out of existence for us.

Thanks again, I did not drain it, just rolled the bellies around in the sticky goodness. lol
Current Trailer Project
polishdon
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19 13 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some pics of my finished product, stuff is awesome, thanks Harry!! Next time I'll time it better so I can give it more cold smoke time, just couldn't do the over nighter in the middle of the week.

Out of the cure, rinsed, let sit uncovered in the fridge for a night and dusted with Big Ron's Hint of Houston:

Cold smoke set up in the WSM with apple wood

Kept the temp around 100 degress for 4 hours, then bumped it up closer to 200 for 5 hours

Sliced

Current Trailer Project
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25 13 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great looking stuff, what did'ya think of the flavor?
polishdon
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30 13 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:

Really good, everyone in my neighborhood is raving about it. Can't get the next batch started fast enough. Very Happy

Only thing I'd change is to give it more smoke time next round.
Current Trailer Project
ComradeQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 01 13 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

polishdon wrote:
Here's some pics of my finished product, stuff is awesome, thanks Harry!! Next time I'll time it better so I can give it more cold smoke time, just couldn't do the over nighter in the middle of the week.

Out of the cure, rinsed, let sit uncovered in the fridge for a night and dusted with Big Ron's Hint of Houston:

Cold smoke set up in the WSM with apple wood

Kept the temp around 100 degress for 4 hours, then bumped it up closer to 200 for 5 hours

Sliced

Looks amazing! Great job! I've got to do some more soon just finishing my smoker and then I can handle the many requests that come when you make bacon that looks and tastes this good!
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12 13 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

polishdon wrote:
Harry Nutczak wrote:

Really good, everyone in my neighborhood is raving about it. Can't get the next batch started fast enough. Very Happy

Only thing I'd change is to give it more smoke time next round.

Make sure the exterior is dry to the touch before hitting with heavy smoke, you'll get better penetration on the flavor, and consider using a strong flavored wood such as Oak or Hickory, that'll get it nice and smoky flavored for you.

I will also wrap the finished belly tightly for a few days in the cooler, then hand it unwrapped to lose some moisture, that'll concentrate the flavor more too.
8fishermen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22 13 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a case that is supposed to be here tomorrow!! I can
hardly stand myself!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: