FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Porchetta recipe

View previous topic :: View next topic  
slow&low
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Jan 28 2012    Post subject: Porchetta recipe Reply with quote

All,
a good friend of mine is here for a few weeks and his family back in Italy runs several large food trucks that sells at fairs and festivals... their specialty is porchetta, well from time to time I have seen fellow ringers attempting to make this true delicacy so I decided to sit down with him and get the family recipe, I hope someone with the right skill set and ingredients will take a shot at it.

1) Suckling Pig (15 Kg live weight that's what he typically uses he said that is the most important thing.... no substitutions) fully de-boned (takes him about 2 hrs to complete...) keep all the internal organs such heart and liver etc etc
2 Spices: 2 cups of coarse sea salt or kosher salt (plenty), fresh ground black pepper, 4 to 6 garlic cloves, rosemary (dry or fresh) and fresh fennel 4 to 5 medium heads(if you can't find fresh fennel try dried fennel seeds it should works as well) ideally you would use wild fennel but good luck finding it here

Wash the organs well, cut them up in chunks, sauteed them in a bit of olive oil for 10-15 at medium heat, remove from heat and set aside, cut the fennel in chunk and peel the garlic cloves, drop them in boiling water and let them soften for 10 to 20 minutes, remove them and set aside.
Now to the piglet make deep cuts (cross) all over inside the piglet making sure you don't cut into the skin, spread the fennel/garlic mixture in the cuts, season the inside of the pig with salt pepper and rosemary then get all the internal organs in a bowl season thoroughly with salt pepper and rosemary, stuff the piglet evenly and close it up by either using butcher twain or wire (??) not sure what kind of wire, prior to roasting apply generous amount of sea salt on the skin.. this is very important as it makes the skin nice and crisp. Ideally you would roast it over an open fire using a rotisserie contraption bet he told me you can also bake it if you have a large oven.... on the open fire you start with the pig being very close to the flames and slowly turning it til the skin is crisp after that move it further away and let it cook for about 2 1/2 hours depending on size of piglet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Pork Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: