FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Don't Hang Up On Me!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31 12 10:26 pm    Post subject: Please Don't Hang Up On Me! Reply with quote

Just when I thought I'd heard it all, along comes a new story! Razz

I was referred to a client from a local friend who is no longer in the business.

The client wanted someone "local" and balked at hiring us because we are one county north.

I assured the client that even our out of town clients appreciate us being willing to travel, and that we appreciate the business.

Evidently the "local" guys she contacted hung up after hearing the budget! Shocked

I assured her we didn't operate that way, and offered up a meal option that met the budget and would keep everyone happy.

This story comes to mind because one of the members here told a story (in the general section) about hanging up on a client that asked for vegan meals as part of the menu.

We do that too (offer vegan options, not hang up), and try our best not to turn away work.

Considering how poor the state of the economy has been I find it absolutely amazing that anyone would foster ill will towards a potential client.

Because even if they don't hire you that time, they WILL remember how they were treated and not call again.
Smokin' Hoglegs
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05 12 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Mike!
On a side note, look for a call from me tomorrow morning. Busy around 8?
smokey joe
CI
Virginiasmoke
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06 12 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was me that told that story of the awful vegan I had the displeasure of dealing with.
I appreciate your advice and would, under better circumstances, abide by it but...
My frustration came to a head after bending over backward for this lady.
I tried to figure out why someone that wanted a majority vegan menu would call a BBQ caterer (with a pig in their logo no less).
As it turned out, there were a couple of normal people she was trying to feed out of 125 weirdos.
After biting my tongue and making many concessions, just before making the deal, she breaks out with "so, you'll be cooking the vegan food on equipment that's never cooked meat right?"
I couldn't take it anymore. I was stunned silent.
I was beside myself and without thinking about it, my self respect kicked in and I hung up before I could tell her what I thought of her and her unnatural ways.
I hope she takes the hint and never calls me again and as a bonus, I hope she tells all of her vegan friends not to call a BBQ joint expecting a vegan meal.
I do agree... it was unprofessional and I learned a lesson. If there is a next time, I will tell the client right up front that the few vegetarian selections I have on my menu are their only choices.
Geronimo
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06 12 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is obvious (to me) that the only reason they called you (a bbq caterer) is because they (as most people) assumed bbq is the cheapest food out there. Shocked Shocked

I just booked one this morning that I have been working with for 3 months to "iron out" the details of EXACTLY what and HOW I was going to cook so she (the bride) can eat because of MANY food allergies she has.

She also has ONE vegan friend (must be very close to her) that she insists on a "special menu" for.

I did my homework and figured out how to prepare the food so the bride can eat it as well as everyone else. As far as the vegan friend, I was able to come up with something that was satisfying to her and was not real labor intensive for me.

Because of the "special" menu, I was able to tack on a few more dollars to make it all worth while on my end and everyone is happy.

Now I just have to teach the new owners of my company how to cook the "special menu" Shocked Shocked
Virginiasmoke
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06 12 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as an aside...
In the beginning of negotiations when it looked like I wasn't going to satisfy her requirements, I asked in a round about way "why not find a caterer that specializes in vegan and ask them to provide a simple non-vegan meal for the few guests that require it?"
Her response... "I don't want to insult them by asking them to provide food they have moral objections to." Shocked
I happen to have a deep dislike of the arrogance and feeling of superiority it must take to have a moral objection to certain foods that people choose to eat.
How spoiled does a person have to be where placing morality on food is even conceivable?
Bestiverhad
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06 12 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure they're not all that way, but the Vegans I've dealt with in the past have been self righteous, condescending, a$$holes.

Very Happy "What would you like to drink with that?" Very Happy
Virginiasmoke
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06 12 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rest assured... they are ALL that way!
valleypigs
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07 12 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sometimes we get requests for a few vegetarian options for the guests that may not eat meat. My pat answer is that we can smoke some portabella caps for them and the beans can be vegetarian if we know ahead of time, but evetything is cooked in the smoker and will not satisfy any vegan. Normally, that works well and the port. caps are scarfed up before the veggie guests get to them??? Beans and slaw at that point I guess........
Geronimo
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07 12 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

valleypigs wrote:
sometimes we get requests for a few vegetarian options for the guests that may not eat meat. My pat answer is that we can smoke some portabella caps for them and the beans can be vegetarian if we know ahead of time, but evetything is cooked in the smoker and will not satisfy any vegan. Normally, that works well and the port. caps are scarfed up before the veggie guests get to them??? Beans and slaw at that point I guess........

When we have a request for a "special menu" item like this, we keep it behind us on the serving line and tell the host ahead of time to tell their "special person(s)" to let us know when going through the line so we can offer it to them.

As in your case, if we left ANYTHING on the line, the "regular" guests would scarf it down first.

Free food ya know... "most" people are pigs and could care less for anyone but themselves. If they see it they WANT it simple as that. Twisted Evil
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14 12 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we can do non-meat,of white meat only,but not the has to be picked and the northside during a full moon, ending on a day with an R in it.Sorry go hungry for a week and then tell me about what food you can eat!
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
Poppa's PTL Club
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15 12 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virginiasmoke wrote:
After biting my tongue and making many concessions, just before making the deal, she breaks out with "so, you'll be cooking the vegan food on equipment that's never cooked meat right?"

Among the moments where you went wrong was trying to be reasonable with vegans. Like many of you, I find them to be judgmental and condescending, but they are fairly easy to deal with once you accept that as a condition of the discussion. I treat them the same as I do anyone with any other religious food restriction (and let's be blunt, veganism stirs up as much passion as any other religious food restriction because it IS essentially a religious restriction), making sure that they know that while I can cook them the meal they want with their ingredients, that all of my cooking equipment has touched pork at some time or another.

I keep all of my sides vegetarian (but not vegan) to make sure that they have options on the line. I did have a request one time to cook my vegetarian sides on equipment that hasn't touched meat. I offered to do so if they understood that I would be charging them for new cooking equipment for the event (including disposable grills for the few portobellos). Once they looked at the cost, vegetarian food cooked on my sanitized equipment was fine.

BTW, in case you haven't noticed, most of you are being just as judgmental and condescending towards their beliefs as you accuse them of being towards you. I disagree with them too, but find that treating them with respect does more to highlight the unreasonableness of their beliefs than arguing with them (and/or calling them kooks) does.
RodinBangkok
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15 12 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poppa's PTL Club wrote:
Virginiasmoke wrote:

BTW, in case you haven't noticed, most of you are being just as judgmental and condescending towards their beliefs as you accuse them of being towards you. I disagree with them too, but find that treating them with respect does more to highlight the unreasonableness of their beliefs than arguing with them (and/or calling them kooks) does.

We deal with many different religious preferences we make no judgements, we simply charge more for the special nature of their requirements. If they don't want the added charge they simply do not sign a contract. Most of the time we will get the business, as we know certain aspects of their preferences and can produce to their request, and make a nice profit on top of it. You don't have to be of a certain religion or even necessarily agree with it, but if you understand it you can make a nice additional profit by meeting their requirements and still perhaps keep with the theme of what your serving. We've done some pretty creative things with veg and tofu and still be able to keep an event bbq or smoke related. So I'm with Pop's respect is the order of the day, and if you do it right you can perhaps clear a bit more profit.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15 12 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Requesting equipment that has never cooked meat!

Do they request flatware at a restaurant that nobody else has ever used too?

When I have vegetarians or vegans complain that we do not offer more vegetarian friendly menu items, our statement is typically "You do realize we are a BBQ oriented business, right?" We can properly prepare and serve items to suit your needs, but there are some things we are simply unable to do.
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16 12 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vend alot of fairs and festivals,Once in a while I get asked if the beans are vegetarian,but the Muslims,and Jewish that don't eat pork don't stop and ask if the meat is kosher or has the beef been cooked on the grill the pork has.If it bothers them they just move on with out stopping.It's fine.but to call a Q joint and ask for a all vegan meat is just dumb.I wouldn't call a vegan ruant and ask for a all meat meal.
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
Greg_R
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02 12 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poppa's PTL Club wrote:

Among the moments where you went wrong was trying to be reasonable with vegans. Like many of you, I find them to be judgmental and condescending, but they are fairly easy to deal with once you accept that as a condition of the discussion. I treat them the same as I do anyone with any other religious food restriction (and let's be blunt, veganism stirs up as much passion as any other religious food restriction because it IS essentially a religious restriction)...
To some cultures (various Indians, etc.) it -is- a religious issue. It's like if a bunch of poop got spread inside a pit... some of us would be OK if the pit received a thorough cleaning, others would not be able to mentally get past it and would want the food cooked on a different pit. Here on the west coast, catering to vegetarians is a part of almost every gig. The majority of them are fine with cooking on the same pit (mushrooms, eggplant, etc.). I like to do veggie lasagnas or grilled eggplant parmesan... these are in their own pan and don't touch anything that touched meat. I've only ever had 1 client who did not find that acceptable so I cooked one pan ahead of time in the oven and held it in a cambro. If cooking onsite, it's very important that they know that meat smoke is going to be blowing all over the place. If that's a problem them prepare offsite and deliver.
PorkQPine
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03 12 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get a number of calls for vegan items to go along with the BBQ and it is not a problem so cook vegan lasagna or other items in the oven and take to the event in a Cambro. Funny things happen when vegans see ribs. More than once the vegan items barely had anyone dig in, they mostly said that the ribs look so good they were going to be 'bad' today since it was a special event. Some haven't had meat in years. LMAO.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06 12 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy Post resurrection Batman!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Catering All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: