FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Keeping spices??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark A

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03 12 11:32 pm    Post subject: Keeping spices?? Reply with quote

I have been keeping all my spices in their original bag, and now they are turning solid. When they do turn solid, can I soak them in my liquid according to my recipe? The spices that are turning solid are corn syrup solids, and fermentoe. And what is the best way to store my spices. Thanks, Mark.
sixfofalcon
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04 12 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't trust bags for spices. Many of them allow too much oxygen in and therefore your spices are half of what they used to be after just a few months.

Your problem seems to be more about heat and/or moisture than oxygen. A little bit of heat will turn anything sugary into a solid block in short time. Moisture too (with one exception being brown sugar, which actually has to be kept slightly moist or else the molasses dries up and turns the whole thing into a brick. They make terra cotta discs for keeping it moist.)

Watch out for sources of heat in your kitchen cabinets. Avoid the cabinets above the range, microwave, refrigerator, etc. and watch out for ducting coming from the range hood. Also beware of under-cabinet lighting. It often creates a hot spot on the bottom shelf of the cabinet after being left on for a few hours.

I like small mason jars, which I seal with the FoodSaver when practical (stuff I only use every few weeks). You can get them in most grocery stores and even some hardware stores. If it's a spice I don't need to keep within arm's reach in the kitchen, I try to keep it in a cool location like a basement closet or pantry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: