FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

***making bacon from day 1***
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13 12 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoEzzy wrote:
That's a good tip Harry.

I do have some sugar in my cure, but I could balance it out a little more by reducing the salt and increasing the sweetness.

To my surprise, it did not increase the sweetness by anything noticeable. But it did cut down the harshness of the salt considerably.

Before I started adding sugar and decreasing salt, my bacon had a tendency to bee too salty, and as it loss moisture with age, the saltiness got even worse. I expected sweeter tasting bacon, and I also expected it to brown and burn easier while cooking it, and neither of those things happened. So I changed my ratios permanently and the final product quality has improved dramatically because of it.

I give it a quick rinse in a meat-lug filled with lukewarm water, I rub off any remaining salt or seasonings, I hang the bellies from "bacon Hooks" (available at butcher-packer) in the walk-in cooler until the outside gets tacky, and I either smoke it right away, or add spices like Black Pepper for my pepper-bacon, or granulated garlic for my garlic-bacon. (garlic-bacon gets coated with garlic when curing too)
Before I purchased bacon-hooks, I would use butchers twine threaded through a hole in the corner of the belly to hang it for the dry time.

My next experiment will get ground juniper berries, and a coat of molasses during curing, and another coat of molasses after its rinse/dry period before smoking to try and emulate the flavor of a black forest ham without burning conifer woods in my pit.

I'll let you guys know how that goes when I get the courage to do it. The current cost of Belly has me a little frightened of the possibility of tossing one in the garbage due to being inedible ..
BBQonICE
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21 12 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have not made full slab bacon for a while...but yes..we dont rinse in water either...the dry cure mix we use allows for simply doing a quick rinse then dry....then into the smokhouse.
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22 12 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do a dry cure as well and I do not rinse it, leaving a nice light bark. I mix equal parts of my rub and brown cane sugar with nitrites and cure 10 days. I hot smoke to 180 at 225 and refrigerate. I store unwrapped and let it age like a country ham. The older it gets the better. Now it's selling out before it even gets any mold. Thick sliced and grilled it's the bomb.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: