FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can we discuss doors?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
smootz
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12 12 9:17 am    Post subject: Can we discuss doors? Reply with quote

Large RF build is nearing the short rows. My mind has started on build number 2. (UDS doesn't count). These cookers are like therapy for me.

I have accumulated a few tanks. If I told you how many GF would make fun of me. Embarassed Although I am not afraid to step outside of the box, I am still counting on y'all to keep me from doing something "plum" stupid.

Most of the tank based builds I see (including mine) are cutting doors, adding some sort of flange, hinges, and maybe a gasket. Many of the fuel tank builds have a "clam-shell" lid. I am thinking about a "clam-shell" type lid for my next "tank" build.

Pro's - Con's ?
Catman
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12 12 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey smootz,
A clamshell tank should work just fine, but you will miss out on some of the major advantages of the tank geometry.
Some drawbacks I see are difficulty supporting more than one level of racks, and the door might be quite heavy and unwieldy depending on how far you want to open it. Also, you will lose more heat when you open the door.
JM2CW

What ever it is, do it, do it 'till you're satisfied.
smootz
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12 12 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tank I am thinking of trying this with would be a 30" diameter. Most of the time it would be just one pig on a "lift-out" tray. A second shelf could sit on top if necessary. No slides.

I agree there would be some weight. I'm thinking that gas shocks on the ends would be neat looking as compared to counter-balances.

The potential heat loss issue bothers me the most. It wouldn't have to open clear back, just high enough to access Mr. Piggy.

I'm wondering if there will be less warping and subsequent "tweaking" involved with one horizontal cut as apposed to individual doors. Would a good seal be as critical or as difficult to achieve given the location of the cut? Quick, easy build or nightmare?

Does anyone own a clam shell that wants to talk me out of trying this?
GF
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12 12 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smootz, hmmm....sounds like a interesting idea. Smile
Do you think a door that size would rack and bind up?
As usual, I have nothing of use to add Embarassed , but I like the idea, just don't know about the function of it.
I'm gonna have to watch and see where this goes. Very Happy

BTW, If you need a hand gettin rid of the tanks in your way, just say so. Wink
Catman
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13 12 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to tell you this, but it sounds like a good idea to me.

I don't have any experience cutting a clamshell, but I think you have to consider how you do it; maybe cut the horizontal line through the end caps first, then think of a way to symmetrically make the long cuts.

What ever it is, do it, do it 'till you're satisfied.
smootz
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13 12 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catman wrote:
Sorry to tell you this, but it sounds like a good idea to me.

I don't have any experience cutting a clamshell, but I think you have to consider how you do it; maybe cut the horizontal line through the end caps first, then think of a way to symmetrically make the long cuts.

If I try this (and it looks like I might) I could make a jig. Tack it on and zip around with the rescue saw. I have several tanks this size so it may be a repeat job. (If it works out)

How well these tank halves maintain their shape after cutting is a concern.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: