FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

were do i start

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alex b.

PostPosted: Apr 28 2012    Post subject: were do i start Reply with quote

greetings all, alex b. here joshua tree, ca.

im newly addicted to whole hog cooking thanks to the tv shows, my obsessive/compulsive tendencies, and roasting a 63 pound wiener hog a couple weeks ago, open pit style. that was a success, so now its time to get busy with a build.
ive obtained a used propane tank 20" diameter x 6',9" , currently filled with h2o, dish soap and bleach. i also have an old 60 gallon compressor tank.
i have spent a few hours going around the forum here, looking for info and getting allot, but what i think i am looking for first as a starting point is what do i want to build with them.
i want to be able to smoke a 200lb whole hog or 2 if they are on the smaller side, probably six times a year, but not all the time as we raise turkeys and meat chickens. point being would me making the entire 20"x 81" tank be a waste of wood/heat if im not filling the entire cooking area with meat every time? should i use the smaller 60 gallon tank by itself with its own fire box< {opposed to using it for the fire box for bigger tank}for my turkeys and chickens and such. materials for fire boxes and other parts are not a real issue as its mostly remnants from fabrication jobs, and solid bar from blacksmithing projects.
my other question that i need direction on is were can i see a list of "type comparisons" ? i dont even know what the right terms are for the styles like horizontal, vertical, gravity feed, etc, or other styles im ignorant of.
i did find the "pit calculator" and that answered allot as far as recommended sizes and shapes, for the offset smokers, figured that name out already, but still not even sure if thats the best for my "current want"

i guess it boils down to, were do u send the ignorant new guys to start the obsession ride,,,,,my wife is proud that im doing research this time for a new project, instead of building and buying it all then figuring out what i really want/need,,,i guess pray worked for this one....
any way thanks in advance, and i really appreciate ur time and effort on this forum, and ur willingness to share ur trials with us.
God bless
alex b.
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Apr 28 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Smoke Ring alex b......I think you can find all the answers you are looking for in the Cookers section....there are some great pit builders and fabricators hanging in that section.
Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
Two of the fastest Thermapens ever made ... Black& Blue
LIAR #25
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Apr 28 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the ring alex b, looking forward to seeing some pics of your cooks and following your cooker project. Smile
We do not have a list per-say of types of cookers and as Rick said the cooker section is a great place for answers to your questions.
In my opinion, if you have the material I would use the propane tank and go with a square firebox building either a reverse flow or tuning plates maybe a hybrid like my current build.
You do not have to use the entire cooker all the time in my opinion. Just fire her up and cook a rack of ribs. What I would do is build the hog cooker and use it all the while looking at the compressor tank as a secondary backyard offset for smaller cooks. Wink
I hope this helps. Smile

Hybrid Cooker
stringbender128
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Apr 29 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Ring!
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Apr 29 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Ring Very Happy
alex b.

PostPosted: Apr 30 2012    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

hey, thanks for the welcomes.
im still reading, and reading, and reading thru K.A.M.'s post of his build titled "well here i go again",,,,,53 pages, im on 13,,,,,,gotta a ways to go, so bye for now.
so many options.....MUUUAAAAAHHHHHHHHHhhh
EastTennQcrew
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Apr 30 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome,

Sounds like you have it good.

RandyE
Curtis

PostPosted: Apr 30 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the ring. Post pics of your build, as you progress along.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: