FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smoked Meatloaf

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Griffin
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20 12 9:55 pm    Post subject: Smoked Meatloaf Reply with quote

I'm not quite sure where Mrs. G came up with this recipe as it was featured on Barefoot Contessa and she does not like her, but somehow she did and we've made it a few times since.

1770 House is apparently some restaurant in the Hamptons, if you were curious. We did make some changes to the original recipe. Obviously, we smoked it rather than cooking it in the oven. We adjusted the temp from 350 to 400 as it seems to work better. Apple was used for the smoke. And instead of 1 lb each of beef, pork and veal, we did 2 of beef and 1 of pork. Anyway, onto to what you really care about....the pics!!

On to the Egg

30 minutes in

Done

Served up with roasted garlic parmesan mashed taters, some green beans and a roll.

Not your "classic" meatloaf, but pretty darn tasty. Hard to beat a smoked meatloaf. One thing I think I would do differently next time is not cook it on aluminum foil. Mrs. G formed it on the foil and I wasn't real sure how to transfer it over (and a bit to lazy anyway). I wasn't real thrilled with it sitting in the fat as it cooked. I did poke some holes in it as it cooked to help it drain away, but still. Next time...No Foil.

Can't wait for lunch to eat my leftovers.

Ingredients
1 pound ground veal (preferably naturally raised)
1 pound ground pork (preferably naturally raised Berkshire)
1 pound ground beef (preferably naturally raised)
1 tablespoon chopped, fresh chives, plus 1 teaspoon for the sauce
1 tablespoon chopped, fresh thyme leaves, plus 1 teaspoon for the sauce
1 tablespoon chopped, fresh Italian parsley, plus 1 teaspoon for the sauce
3 large eggs (preferably organic)
1 1/3 cups finely ground Panko
2/3 cup whole milk (preferably hormone and antibiotic free)
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
Olive oil
2 stalks of celery, finely diced
1 large Spanish onion, finely diced
2 cups chicken or beef stock
8 to 10 cloves roasted garlic
3 tablespoons butter, at room temperature

Directions
Preheat your smoker to 350 degrees.

Place the veal, pork, beef, chives, thyme, parsley, eggs, Panko, milk, salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl.

Heat a medium saute pan over medium-high heat and film it with extra-virgin olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the celery and onion to the pan and cook, stirring, until softened. Remove the celery and onion from the pan and let cool. When the mixture is cool, add it to the mixing bowl with the other ingredients.

Using clean hands, mix the ingredients until well combined and everything is evenly distributed. Place a piece of parchment paper on a sheet pan (it should have sides at least 1 1/2 inches high to prevent grease runoff from the pan). Place the meat on the sheet pan and pat it and punch it down to remove any air pockets. Shape the meat into a loaf (about 14 1/2 inches long by 5 inches wide by 2 inches high). Place the sheet pan in the oven and bake 40 to 50 minutes or until a meat thermometer indicates an internal temperature of 155 to 160 degrees. Remove the meatloaf from the oven and let it rest for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, for the sauce, combine the broth, roasted garlic and butter over medium-high heat and simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes, or until lightly thickened. Add 1 teaspoon of each of the chopped thyme, chives and parsley. Slice the meatloaf into serving portions and spoon the hot sauce over the meatloaf and serve.
1buckie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20 12 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griffin !!!
Looks pretty dang good !!!

The wife & I team up on hickory smoked turkey meatloaf now & again
& found if the liquid components in the mix are reduced JUST slightly.....
It will sit directly on the grate just fine.....

Now, I like a sammie to go...thick sourdough, please !!! Very Happy
It's gonna say on my tombstone: Died of thick, heavy sauces ~~~~>K
" The Creepy Guy Down the Street With All The Webers"
k.c.hawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20 12 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice looking meatloaf Griffin. That plate looks just like what I'm looking for after a long workday. Good comfort food!
30" Masterbuilt Digital
UDS (Named Uddley by Mrs K.C.)
Weber 26.75 One Touch
Weber 22.5 Silver Touch
Weber Smokey Joe
Superfast Red Thermopen
Razorback born and bred!
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21 12 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job, Griffin! Meatloaf is one of my favorite things to smoke in the colder months. I usually grind deer and the trimmings from St. Louis ribs along with the usual (eggs, bread crumbs, onions, ketchup, etc).

Add some garlic mashed taters and collards and I'm good to go Laughing Laughing
The Matt Ryan of LIARS! (#2)

I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I just didn't have the ABILITY.

Support your 2nd Amendment RIGHT. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
JimH
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21 12 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favorite meals is meatloaf sandwiches. Mom is horrified but I'll take freshly cooked meatloaf and make a sandwich out of it and of course cold ML sammies the next day. Meatloaf does't last long around me.
slowpokey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21 12 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love smoked meat loaf. yours looks awsome
i like to roll mine up in small one helping size loafs. i like the charred outside of the loaf.
JimH
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21 12 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned the hard way not to glaze it till the end with ketchup, no smoke. Outside of a standing rib roast, meatloaf may be the perfect food.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21 12 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a meatloaf tip.. Use a bread pan, works great to form the ML.. Place on the cooker for a wee bit till it begins to set, like half an hour.. then just flip it out onto the grill..

Works like a charm. Cant claim the idea.. Learned it here on the ring.
LIAR #100
JimH
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21 12 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roxy wrote:
Here is a meatloaf tip.. Use a bread pan, works great to form the ML.. Place on the cooker for a wee bit till it begins to set, like half an hour.. then just flip it out onto the grill..

Works like a charm. Cant claim the idea.. Learned it here on the ring.

I was about to say you would have one he'll of a fire if you left in the loaf pan. That is a good idea, what size pan to start? I like a meatloaf about 2 to3inches tall and wide enough to fill sandwich bread. 9x13 is to wide, maybe a cat iron skillet till it sets? No, impossible to get it out in one piece. That is my biggest problem, my ML fractures when it's done and I do use eggs nag breadcrumbs/milk as a binder. Trying to duplicate Mom's recipes but she does it by memory, no recipe.
smokin Jim
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21 12 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just hand form my meat loaf on a flat piece of foil. Place in the cooker and after 1/2 hr roll it off the foil directly onto the grill. No problem and no grease saturation. I glaze just as the loaf comes off the grill and there is no chance of charring.
VC5007 gasser
KCBS CBJ
Griffin
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21 12 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody for the kind words.

Buckie - never tried turkey before. Might have to give that a go. And next time it will go right on the grates.

K.C. - can't go wrong with meatloaf when you are craving some comfort food.

BUGS - never heard of using deer (or rib trimmings) before, but why not? Sounds great. I think we have some left in the freezer

Jim - had a meatloaf sammich yesterday, so good. And BTW...this one had no glaze on it. That is just the color of the meat and maybe the smoke added some to it, if you can believe it.

Slow- that is a great idea, I like the edges, too.

Roxy - I've heard that idea before. Not sure if it would have worked with this one. It was a 3 lber.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22 12 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griffin wrote:
Roxy - I've heard that idea before. Not sure if it would have worked with this one. It was a 3 lber.

Then make 2 or 3 of em.. When I worked at the mission years ago I would use a large bread pan to form 50 lbs of meat loaf and it worked amazingly well. Each one flipped onto a large baking tray, about 4 trays or so.. Even if ya dont cook the loaf in the pan it is a great form for the ML.

But what do I know about ML.. I served Meat loaf once a week, 50 lbs at a time, for the year and a half I was dinner cook.. Wink
LIAR #100
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: