FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bubba's Shanghai

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kjwalker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11 07 9:33 am    Post subject: Bubba's Shanghai Reply with quote

Hey folks. Hope all is well and everyone had a great holiday and happy new year. BQ pulled me out of the wood work and asked for an update as I have been silent for a few months. Thought I'd give a quick one, but all encompassing at the same time.

In a word, things are going fantastic. We've become one of the de facto expat hang-out bars/restaurants in Shanghai. People travel for miles sometimes to come to Bubba's, because, well, you just can't get good barbeque anywhere outside of the U.S. for the most part. When friends have friends visit, or business colleagues, they most always will bring them to Bubba's for an evening. I also sell a lot of t-shirts, golf shirts, and hats to customers looking for memorabilia. I'm also asked to pose in a many photos with tourists and customers. HA HA

As for business, it's going way better than planned. I thought I would be slaving at the smoker for at least a year, but at this point, I have trained up several key guys on the meat, rubs, and sauces, and well, the place is flying on its own now. I am there mainly now for quality control (very important) and customer BS-ing. It's fun and I've met tons of great folks and now friends.

I also do a lot of fooling around on the smoker. I've done whole pigs, some fish, and last week I did a whole leg of lamb and some racks of lamb. This was Mongolian lamb and is very reasonable price wise, so I think I'll start doing it as a special. Oh yea, also did a whole USDA Prime ribye roast (bone-in) a few months back for a special customer. It was awsome, but turned out to be too much food for him so I turned the left over into chopped beef (HA HA HA....most expensive chopped beef in the world maybe!!!).

Back in November (on my birthday) I held what was China's first ever Chili Cook-off. That's right! I had 20 teams enter (that was the max due to space) and more than 300 people from the public attend. It was nothing short of awesome. Many people told me it was the best day ever in Asia, and some had been here for 15 or more years. Follow these links for some review articles and photos:

http://www.shanghaiexpat.com/community/index.php?blog=3&title=chili_was_king_in_hongqiao&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

http://www.shanghaiist.com/archives/2006/10/17/nothing_says_fa.php

Anyway, aside from that event I also orchestrated Sunday Tailgate Parties where we showed key NCAA football games via my sling boxes back in the states. I would TiVo them on "your" Saturday and show them on our Sunday. I had many Sundays where the house was standing room only. I also cooked on my outdoor pit on these Sundays so that was a lot of fun. My outdoor pit is a pipe job with firebox and poultry tower. I can do about 4 briskets in the main chamber and probably 9 to 12 chickens in the tower, or 12 racks of ribs. Not enough to feed the restaurant, but it was a lot of fun and smelled real nice.

It has gotten colder now in Shanghai and many expats leave for holidays around now. So, things have slowed a bit but it's okay. We'll be here for next spring and beyond when business picks up again.

Oh yea, I am also expanding into a building that's been vacated behind my restaurant. I am calling it "The Backyard at Bubba's" and this will essentially become "the buys" hang out. You know, how back home the guys like to migrate to a garage, or shed, or someplace away from the main house.... Anyway, that's The Backyard and it will have pool tables, dart boards, foosball, and large screen TVs for viewing sports. It will also have a nice large bar and a small stage for a country band. Between my main restaurant and this Backyard bar will be an outdoor dining area and beer garden.

Should be a cool place to be in the Spring!

That's it for now. I will try and be around here more consistent.

KJ
Home of NCAA Football in China
Host of Shanghai Chili Cook-off
adolpho
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11 07 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're the man, you're the man! You make us Texans PROUD.
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11 07 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear things are going so well!
kjwalker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11 07 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks guys.

Hey Alien. Hope all is well. I'll try and drop into the forum more often.

KJ
Home of NCAA Football in China
Host of Shanghai Chili Cook-off
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11 07 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome that things have taken off so well for you! Great job, and it sounds like you are having some fun too! Very Happy
corndog
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11 07 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kj, I remember reading about you starting this adventure and I sure am glad everything has gone to the good for you. I know you must be excited and proud. And that is a great feeling. Keep 'em smoking and drinkin over there...
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11 07 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning there KJ!

I forgot to ask- could you please give us a look at your menu and pricing. I (and others) would be interested in what/how much things go for there! Very Happy

I would also be interested on the numbers of who makes up your clientele I.E. percent of Westerners vrs. Percent of Easterners. From the sounds of it, a lot of your business comes from folks like us that want a taste of home!
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16 07 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken was kind enough to provide a copy of his menu for us. Prices are in rmb, which Ken tells me trade at about 8 to a US Dollar! Thanks for giving us the opportunity to see how you are doing Q half way around the world Ken! Very Happy

Bubba’s offers authentic Texas-style bar-b-que, which is achieved only by slowly cooking meat over long periods of time using real wood for tenderizing and flavoring. We are happy to host events or provide you with our smoked meats for private parties.

Due to the nature of our special cooking process and the fact that we make every item in-house, we may or may not have all items on the menu at all times. We apologize for this, but invite you to call ahead should you wish to know what’s available for either lunch or dinner.

Thank you for visiting Bubba’s!

2262 Hong Qiao Lu
Shanghai 201103 China
Phone: (86 21) 6242 2612 Fax: (86 21) 6242 0449

Appetizers

Seasoned Fries 25
Bite-sized Jalapeno Cornbread Muffin Basket
w/Honey Sweetened Butter (6) 30
Southern Fried Hush Puppies (6) 30
Burracho Beans w/Jalapeno Cornbread 35
Smoked Chicken “Drummies” w/Blue Cheese (Cool 35
Jalapeno Poppers w/Southwest Ranch (6) 40
Wings and Things (poppers, puppies, and drummies) 40
Sandwich Sampler Platter (2 mini chopped beef and
2 mini pulled pork sandwiches) 40

Smokehouse Market Platters (choose two sides)

Smoked Chicken (USDA) 75
Pile a’ Pulled Pork 75
Honey-cured Smoked Ham 75
Half Rack Pork Ribs (5 ribs) 80
Beef Brisket (USDA) 90
Full Rack Pork Ribs (10 ribs) 120
Beef Short Rib (USDA) 140

Double Meat Combo (excluding beef ribs) 110
Triple Meat Combo (excluding beef ribs) 130

Double Meat Combo w/Beef Short Rib 200
Triple Meat Combo w/Beef Short Rib 250

Smokehouse Sandwiches (served with fries)

Pulled Pork 65
Chopped Beef 65
Open Faced Sliced Brisket 65
Honey-cured Smoked Ham (w/ mayo, lettuce, tomato) 65
Pulled Pork ‘n Slaw 75
Chopped Beef n’ Slaw 75

Classic Smokehouse Sides

Texas-style Coleslaw 25
Creamy Mustard Potato Salad 25
Jalapeno Cornbread Muffin 25
Hush Puppies 25
USA Sweet Corn 25
Seasoned Fries 25
Side House Salad 25
Bubba’s Shanghai Slaw 30
Burracho Beans w/Jalapeno Cornbread 35
Black Bean Soup 35
Cajun Chicken Gumbo 35

Just Meat

Smoked Chicken Quarter 55
Pulled Pork (half pound) 70
Chopped Beef (half pound) 70
Half Rack Pork Ribs (5 ribs) 70
Honey-cured Smoked Ham 70
Sliced Brisket (half pound) 80
Whole Rack Pork Ribs (10 ribs) 100
Beef Short Rib 120

We also prepare whole hams, brisket, suckling pig, and turkey for take-out on special order; talk to Bubba for details

Handmade Pizza

Cheese 45
Bubba’s Smoked Chicken Pizza 65

Add pepperoni, Italian sausage, beef, bacon each + 10
Add mushroom, onion, green pepper, jalapeño each + 8

Kid’s Menu

Grilled Cheese w/Fries 25
Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich w/Fries 25
Chicken Tenders w/Fries 40

Home-style Salads

Spinach Salad 50
House Salad 50
Caesar Salad 50
Add Smoked Chicken Breast to Any Salad +20

Blue Cheese, Miso Honey, Honey Mustard Vinaigrette,
Southwest Ranch, Balsamic Vinaigrette, Caesar

Desserts

Ice Cream 20
Apple Pie 30
Peach Cobbler 30
Chocolate Brownie 30

Add ice cream to any for 10 rmb

How to Speak to a Texan…
About Bar-B-Que

There are very few people in Texas who’ll agree on exactly what defines Texas-style bar-b-que. Many will say we are a State of beef eaters, which is true, but we also cook a lot of pork, chicken, cabrito, fish, and sausage. Some will say “it’s not Texas bar-b-que if it has sauce on it,” while many others love to wet down a rack of ribs while they’re still smoking on the pit.

One thing is for sure: we love our bar-b-que….we love to argue about it, we love to cook it, we love to perfect it, we love to compete with it, and most of all, we love to eat it.

What makes Texas bar-b-que different from bar-b-que in other states? Not much really, other than state lines, pride, and the various cuts of meat and sauce style that is more popular from one area to another.

One other thing, however, is for sure: most bar-b-que “aficionados” will agree that steaks, hamburgers and hotdogs cooked over a gas grill are not bar-b-que. Authentic American-style bar-b-que is cooked “low and slow” using real wood to tenderize and impart a very unique flavor to all types of meat. This is a flavor and experience you won’t soon forget!

Taste the Difference

BBQ, barbeque, barbecue, Bar-B-Q… These are just a few of the common spellings for a cooking technique that ranges from oven roasted meat smothered in smoke-flavored sauce to grilling quickly over hot coals.

At Bubba’s, we choose a less common form of spelling the word to differentiate ourselves from the many other “BBQs” offered by restaurants. Our way of spelling bar-b-que stands for cooking meat “low and slow,” which means the meat is on the pit from six to 15 hours, and never cooked in an oven, on a gas grill, or over charcoal.

Well done, medium rare or served sizzling hot…it’s not

The process of smoking meats at low temperatures means that we cannot serve “medium rare” or even “well done.” Quality smoked meats leave behind several very distinguishable trademarks to the trained eye: 1) there is a dark outer crust called the bark; 2) just inside the bark there’s a nice reddish-colored smoke ring; and, 3) the inside portions of the meat can sometimes be pink and tender, but are far from being undercooked. In fact, the above three points describe the perfect smoked meat. Finally, all of our meats are smoked and then kept warm in our warming oven, which is to say they’ll never arrive to your table sizzling hot, but rather, warm and ready to eat!

Key Terms and Words

Howdy – a popular form of addressing others on the street in Texas.

Chopped Beef – beef brisket after it has been shredded and braised in a light bar-b-que sauce, usually served on a soft roll or slice of bread.

Pulled Pork – pork shoulder that’s been smoked to the point it melts, then pulled apart, tossed in a vinegar sauce, and served on a soft roll or slice of bread.

Wet or Dry – this refers to the sauce we use, or don’t use, during the cooking process. A dry smoked item only has a dry spice rub on it, and sauce is served on the side. A wet smoked cut gets “mopped” during the cooking process, and then gets a good dose of sauce toward the end and just prior to serving. At Bubba’s, we dry smoke most of our products and serve the sauce on the side.

Sliced Beef – the lean flat end of a whole brisket, which is thinly sliced and served with sauce on the side.

Y’all – a word Texans use when addressing groups of two or more people, regardless of gender.

Bar-B-Que Sauce – these come in many flavors and styles. At Bubba’s we make a tomato and vinegar-based sauce, which is traditional to Texas and a little spicy. We also make a tangy mustard-based sauce for our pulled pork, which is more popular in the Southern states and has more vinegar kick than spice kick.

Fix’n – a word Texans use to indicate something is about to happen, or someone is about to take action. As in, “I’m fix’n to eat some bar-b-que.”

Mop Sauce – a special sauce we use during the cooking process to help keep meats moist.

Finishing Sauce – the sauce we place on items served “wet” out of the smoker and onto your plate.

The Pit – the smoker, and in our case, an imported smoker from the U.S. capable of cooking up to 300 pounds of meat at one time.

The Pit Boss – at Bubba’s, that’s me and I’ll be on hand to make sure you get the highest quality smoked meats and the best bar-b-que you’ve ever eaten this side of the Mason Dixon Line….and that there’s a lot of real estate to cover!

Thanks for visiting Bubba’s,

Ken Walker, Bubba’s Pit Boss
Caroline's Rub
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19 07 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to go BBQMAN! Any unusual or exotic 'fixins' at your chili cook off?
100% No-Hassle Money Back Guarantee
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20 07 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there!

Sorry for any confusion, I actually posted this for Ken! Shocked Very Happy Ken has the business in Shanghai, I operate here in Tampa Bay Florida!

It is great that Ken has had such a great response to his business. I thought you all would enjoy seeing what he offers! Very Happy
ChipotlePat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20 07 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow that is so great to see that BBQ is making an inpact other than in the us keep up the great work.
manonlook

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22 07 1:05 pm    Post subject: shanghai Reply with quote

Hello KJ,

Job well done.

Milanm
saint308
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27 07 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question. I thought China was communist. How does someone roll up into a country like China and start smoking some yard bird? Just joking. I am extremely happy that this working out for KJ. Just curious about the rules and regs for openeing a place in China. Saint.

P.S. Don't worry, I am not going open a place there anytime soon.
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27 07 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it is because a lot of Westerners do business with the Chinese through Shanghai? Same reason thast business has taken off I would imagine! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: