FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Going to try Pastrami ( updated w/pics)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mainely Smoka
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12 12 9:32 pm    Post subject: Going to try Pastrami ( updated w/pics) Reply with quote

stumbled across this thread and thought I would give it a whirl. Was curious as to if anyone here has tried this or something close to it

http://ruhlman.com/2011/09/how-to-make-pastrami/

Last edited by Mainely Smoka on Mon Oct 15 12 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12 12 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just skimmed over the seasoning cure formulation, I think you'll be pleased with the results with it.

easy stuff to do, and great eats when it is done, if you have a motorized slicer to slice this, you'll be much happier than doing this by hand
Mainely Smoka
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12 12 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Harry. It looked and sounded pretty good so I thought to give it a try. I will post the results after I smoke it on Sunday afternoon
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12 12 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mainely, that sounds delicious. Can't wait to see your final opinion and pics.
Thanks for the link.

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
patruns
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13 12 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks very good. I wandered off and looked at the short rib pastrami as well. Thanks for the link and I am looking forward to seeing the finished product. Smile

Char-Griller Outlaw with SFB
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber Q 220
LIAR#49
Mainely Smoka
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15 12 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I gave the receipe a shot and was very pleased with the results. I ended up brining for 2 days with a 8 hr rest. I tripled up with the rub and on the smoker for about 2hr at 235 (used apple wood) pulled it a bit late due to getting caught up watching the cowboys lose ( not a cowboy fan and was worried they were making a come back) the temp was reading 167 when I pulled it. As you can see its a bit over done but it was still very moist and the taste was fantastic. I will be making this again and again. I think next time I will let it brine for a couple more days. here are a few pics

Just off the smoker

A few slices into the brisket

and finally dinner is served

SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15 12 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like an 8 day brine for corned beef and pastrami, the difference is in the brine ingredients.

I do smoke my corned beef too, but I love pastrami, (it's about time I did another batch), have to look for a brisket deal in the next month or so.

I still work here!
patruns
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15 12 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice job. Looks delicious!

Weber Smokey Joe
Weber Q 220
LIAR#49
Damar12
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16 12 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two days is a short brine. I do mine for 15 or 20 days according to what is going at the time. Mine always turn out. Yours did not look very cured. It looked like smoked beef. Just my opinion.
Mainely Smoka
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16 12 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damar12 wrote:
Two days is a short brine. I do mine for 15 or 20 days according to what is going at the time. Mine always turn out. Yours did not look very cured. It looked like smoked beef. Just my opinion.

Being the first time doing pastrami I followed the directions to a tee. Not sure what a good cure should look like but have another brisket soaking allready and will give it at least 7 days and wll rub it and let sit for another 2 day prior to smokng it. I am impressed with the results of my first attempt and think things will only get better.
patruns
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17 12 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way to learn is to keep at it. That was a fine first effort. I think you will notice a more thorough and uniform pinkness throughout the meat with a longer cure time. Smile

Weber Smokey Joe
Weber Q 220
LIAR#49
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17 12 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done Mainely.
I just put a flat into the brine about an hour ago. I plan on pulling it around the 1st of November. It was only a 3.5# cut from the flat. I got other plans for the point and the remaining flat.
I got it for $2.44/lb and it was a tad over 12#. The grade was select Crying or Very sad , but I wasn't paying the difference for choice.

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
Mainely Smoka
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17 12 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patruns wrote:
The only way to learn is to keep at it. That was a fine first effort. I think you will notice a more thorough and uniform pinkness throughout the meat with a longer cure time. Smile

I suspect that ths next bach will be pinker becase of the addition of pink salt (aka cure #1) at least i am hopig for those results
Damar12
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17 12 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also use other cuts of meat, like sirloin roasts and such. They are much thicker and leaner. I have done brisket in the past, but prefer the leaner cuts. These days some other cuts are cheaper. Brisket costs have gone out of sight. Good PASTRAMI to ya.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05 12 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:
I just skimmed over the seasoning cure formulation, I think you'll be pleased with the results with it.

easy stuff to do, and great eats when it is done, if you have a motorized slicer to slice this, you'll be much happier than doing this by hand

+1

Did you not find the meat tuff to bit through, your slices looked kinda thick..

I agree with Harry, a slicer is a must. Or you can steam the finished product till it is fall apart tender. The deli's in New York and Montreal that hand slice their meat steam it till it is almost falling apart..

Check out this video and you will see what the texture of the meat should be like for hand cutting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbjlHUYNWuU&feature=related

Makes me want a big pastrami sandwich.. Guess I will have to go to work.. Wink Cool
LIAR #100
Mainely Smoka
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05 12 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No the meat was awesome. I let it cool over night and ran the rest through the slicer to get it a bit thinner. I did another one last weekend that I added the cure #1 to and let brine a week the meat stayed a real nice pink and the taste was much better. I got one more in the brine and will let sit for a total of 3 weeks till I smoke it Cant wait for that one I will surely post some pics then
Zmokin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20 12 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here is my 2nd attempt at Pastami.
My first attempt was OK, but a little too salty. I didn't soak the corned beef in clear water. Googling, I found where some people finish it off in a pressure cooker, so that is what I'm doing for my 2nd attempt. I gave the corned beef a 24 hour soak in cold water. Changed out the water after 12 hours. Then I gave it a dry rub, black pepper, coriander, onion, garlic, paprika, and dry mustard mix. wrapped in saran wrap for 24 hours in the fridge. Then into the Big Green Egg until the probe said 145 (beef medium rare). Then 20 minutes at 15 psi in the pressure cooker (this should have pushed the meat temp up past 180, but with steam, a nice moist heat to completely tenderize the meat and render the fat). I cut off a nice thick slice to snack on now (Mmm Mmm Good) and will chill in the fridge overnight before I slice it all up nice & thin on the meat slicer for sandwiches.

Out of the smoker Smile

After the pressure cooker Very Happy

And all sliced up for sandwiches

I'm not sure about trying to do my own 3 week brining to make the corned beef from scratch
14" Cast Iron Dutch Oven
Large Big Green Egg w/Sole' Gourmet Table
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: