FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Competition Team advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fergolicious
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16 12 3:35 am    Post subject: Competition Team advice Reply with quote

I just recently started my own BBQ competition with a group of friends. We just cooked our first contest and did pretty good for rookies. As the head cook, the owner of the pits and the person doing 99% of the cooking and recipes, how do I split up any profits from winning? We have four team members and we all put in equally for the entry fee and we all put in equally for the meat for the most part. I was thinking of doing a percentage breakdown, but not sure what is fair. Thoughts?
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16 12 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you split the costs, then split the winnings.

dont consider the equipment because it is still your equipment.
fergolicious
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16 12 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, but some people on the team have bigger roles then others. It's just like Head Coaches make more then assistant coaches, Principals more then teachers, etc.
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16 12 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like you should just foot the entire cost of competing and then keep all the winnings.
HuskerMan
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16 12 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No "I" in team. If your splitting the cost equally I say you split the winnings equally.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16 12 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I pay into a team an equal share, I should get an equal share back.

If you want to run it on a percentage line then specify everything up front and invite people to join you under those rules.

Feels a little wrong to me almost bait and switch, not trying to bust on you, but these things show up every once in a while, and every time the answers come out the same.

Equal is equal, unequal is not.

Equal in should mean equal out.

I am part of a 3 man team, we put in the same, the pits are owned by each member individually, but me work as a team, I don't need the trophies so I let the others share who holds what trophy...perhaps I should get more money because I don't get the trophies?

I still work here!
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16 12 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to run it somewhat like a business then take the winnings and return the money payed in to you and the other members equally then keep the rest in a slush fund accountable by everyone and use the excess for the next comp. If you continue to win then there will be comps funded by the slush fund and some that are not. The trophy's can be displayed at future comps or divided up between members. In my opinion if you try to decipher pay according to work load your team will dissolve before your eyes. Everyone has a job that is pertinent to the success of the team whether it is tending a fire, cleaning dishes, prepping meat, or tending the cooker.

Hybrid Cooker
fergolicious
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17 12 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all thank you for the responses. Some of you were a little brash, but no problem. I never intended on keeping everything for myself. I wanted to see how other teams do it. I want to be fair in regards to each team members financial contribution as well as their physical contribution. That seems like common sense, but maybe I am wrong.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17 12 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fergolicious wrote:
First of all thank you for the responses. Some of you were a little brash, but no problem. I never intended on keeping everything for myself. I wanted to see how other teams do it. I want to be fair in regards to each team members financial contribution as well as their physical contribution. That seems like common sense, but maybe I am wrong.

I didn't mean to seem brash I merely gave you a solution to your problem. The solution I gave you is more or less how my Son-in-law and the other two members of their team work it. Sometimes the slush fund is tapped and a member may be tight on funds but if they want to compete in one then the others foot the extra cost, the end result is the same the money is divided and or goes in the slush fund to support their hobby/habit.
I hope this helps. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Grnmtn BBQ Chef
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17 12 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if everyone is paying in equally, after cost have been removed from the pot, then split it equally. Team is important then to design a program where everyone carries an equal load of the work, organization clean up and packing. Have every thing down a head of time as to who is responcible for what. That keeps from the issues of, "well I did more then you did so I deserve more money" Now if you footed the whole monatary bill from food to entery fees and such, those come out of the equaltion first.

Meadow Creek PR72T modified adding a 2nd Meadow Creek PR 60 this week and 2 well loved Red Rivers going into retirement
DrunkPlumber
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17 12 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Competition Team advice Reply with quote

fergolicious wrote:
I just recently started my own BBQ competition with a group of friends. ...... Thoughts?

Well, they were Wink

Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid.

There is no such thing as too much onion.

I'm NOT liar #94. I swear!
Tantor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17 12 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a member here for almost 3 years and reading the forum longer than that. The most important thing I have learned is if you don't want an honest answer here is don't ask the question to start out with. I didn't see any brash comments only honest answers and here's mine. If I'm expected to contribute money equally in, then I would expect an equal payout. As far as equal amounts of work, who's in charge of delegating who does what?
John 3:30
macattack756

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18 12 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats the way our team does it, we split the entry fee with the slush account paying for the meat and supplies. any "extra winnings" would be split equally. thats why we do PC, to cover the meat and any extra costs.
Bedlam BBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19 12 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why my wife is my teammate. When we win, she gets the money -- no arguments at all. Laughing

Stumper clone with Stoker
Bedlam BBQ
Competition Team
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19 12 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bedlam BBQ wrote:
This is why my wife is my teammate. When we win, she gets the money -- no arguments at all. Laughing

Pretty much the way it is here Steve. Laughing I couldn't tell ya what the checks even look like. Laughing

Hybrid Cooker
Skidder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19 12 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How I've always done it is I own everything and it's all my recipes and I'm not there for the $$ I'm there for the trophies so all our winnings so far I've given to the team members. But one thing we have always done is give a percentage back to the organizers of the contest. Just our small way of giving back and my team members always agree too. I've never made a dime competing but my team usually does pretty good $$ wise. And I have a full trophy case. Everyone has been happy so far.
82's BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20 12 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skidder wrote:
How I've always done it is I own everything and it's all my recipes and I'm not there for the $$ I'm there for the trophies so all our winnings so far I've given to the team members. But one thing we have always done is give a percentage back to the organizers of the contest. Just our small way of giving back and my team members always agree too. I've never made a dime competing but my team usually does pretty good $$ wise. And I have a full trophy case. Everyone has been happy so far.

Can I be on your team?
QDS drum
Bubba 250 RF 5x10 trailer w/ rib box
Engelbrecht Braten
"82's BBQ Crew"
Liar #82
www.82sbbq.com
EastTennQcrew
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20 12 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless your starting a team from scratch, and buying the equipment as a team. Then you will always hae someone who owns the most of the equipment.

You need to sit down and talk about how your are going to handle the money, if and when you get some. Around here unless you in the top 5% of teams your not going to cover the cost of the events.

If your unhappy about the way thngs are gong in your team now. Give everyone a large part of the work to do. If someone is just sitting there and not working. Were they given a job to accomplish? It may seem easier to just do things your self, but expect others to do it if they weren't asked.

On our team, I own everything, and pay everything. My brother goes and helps, but I do all the cooking. If we win, I keep the money, but I also provide all the gas and food and t-shirts and our meals all weekend. Our only big good size check was for $1,250 a few weeks ago, but I did the event solo.

Got to work things out up front.

RandyE
Garry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22 12 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bedlam BBQ wrote:

My wife isn't my teammate but she still gets the money anyway. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: