FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with 100lbs of ribs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
va_connoisseur

PostPosted: Oct 24 2012    Post subject: Help with 100lbs of ribs Reply with quote

Has anyone cooks ribs using an aluminum pan and bamboo skewers as a make shift rack? Instead of laying the ribs flat, standing them on their ends and supports them with skewers. I figure I can get 6-8 slabs per pan with a little room between each slab.

I only have 2 racks and wanted to use the pans to maximize the space in my cooking chamber. Going to cook 100lbs of St. Louis ribs this weekend on my 120 gallon reverse flow and figured this would maximize space. Comments/suggestions?
toymaster
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Oct 24 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good idea but I don't think you can put 6 to 8 racks per pan. You need to have some space between each rack for air to circulate like the rib racks. Also, I would poke holes in the pan between the ribs to help with the air flow. Using several pans in my smoker at the same time usually increases my cook time so I would add some time. Max I have cooked is 60 lbs of ribs. Good luck. Tell me how it turns out.
Brinkmann Grill King Deluxe - Baby
Backwoods Party - Victoria
Weber Smokey Joe - Gretchen

USMC - Semper Fi
If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly
Fig Pucker
BBQ Pro

I'm just trying to follow the conversation. I understand coiling and skewering the ribs, but what's the purpose are the pans? Are you placing the coiled ribs on the grate, and then placing a pan with more ribs on top of those ribs to double up the amount of ribs per rack?
BluDawg
BBQ Super Pro

You can do it without the pan use 2 skewers for 4 racks just thread 'em on they will stand up on their own.
Webber 22 OTS
Memorial UDS "Big Jim"
va_connoisseur

Fig Pucker wrote:
I'm just trying to follow the conversation. I understand coiling and skewering the ribs, but what's the purpose are the pans? Are you placing the coiled ribs on the grate, and then placing a pan with more ribs on top of those ribs to double up the amount of ribs per rack?

No, I was not planning on coiling the ribs (although that is a good idea). The plan was was to use the pan and skewers to create a pseudo rib rack (ribs standing on their side in pan with skewers holding them)
Fig Pucker
BBQ Pro

va_connoisseur wrote:
Fig Pucker wrote:

No, I was not planning on coiling the ribs (although that is a good idea). The plan was was to use the pan and skewers to create a pseudo rib rack (ribs standing on their side in pan with skewers holding them)

Why not place the ribs directly onto the grate? Is it just easier to handle all thos ribs if they're in a pan? Never cooking more than 8 racks at any one time, I'm just a noob tyring to understand... Smile

pic taken form the virtual weber site.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: