FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smoking bellies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBQ Guy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06 12 12:15 pm    Post subject: Smoking bellies Reply with quote

This question is primarily for Harry, but anybody else is welcome to chime in: I have seen so many pics of bacon being hot smoked - but I thought that bellies were cold smoked. Is there a reason for hot smoking? I guess what I'm asking, is why would you cook it (in the smoker) prior to cooking it (in the skillet)? I have not made my own bacon yet, but I am getting close.

Ok, another question - should a smoke house be airtight, with the exception of just a single point of exit (chimney)? Or does it matter? If I'm cold smoking, I'm thinking it shouldn't matter...but I don't know. My smokehouse is not built yet, so any help will be appreciated. My heat source will be a propane hotplate (on low) with a skillet full of apple wood chunks.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06 12 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cold-Smoke bacon, the 18-24 hours it gets in the smoke, my temps are under 100 degrees.

A few leaks are fine, what you need to watch is so you do not lose control of temps, and some leaks can cause that.
GF
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06 12 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBQ Guy, I tried smoking bacon on my UDS, it was hard to keep the temps real low, and the fire still burning.

The last coupla times, I cold smoked it, seemed like a whole lot less hassle.

Good luck with it. Very Happy
ComradeQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07 12 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot smoking bacon is a traditional way of preparing bacon in a lot of parts of eastern Europe, particularly in Russia. This hot smoked bacon is commonly consumed without frying since it has already been brought up to a safe temp. I think it is more a cultural thing than anything else but you can also fry hot smoked bacon if you want to render it. Personally I feel cold smoking is more my preference since it is the method used most commonly in North America and therefore what I am used to. The other debate is over whether you leave the rind on or not. Again this seems to be a cultural difference since the eastern Europeans tend to favour rind on and again, the North American market doesn't. My advice, do what I did, try both methods and see what you prefer. Hot smoking was still good (it is homemade bacon, it will always be good) but cold smoking made it great. If you have questions about cures or methods we will all be happy to help! Mmmm bacon ...
ComradeQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07 12 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: Smoking bellies Reply with quote

BBQ Guy wrote:
Ok, another question - should a smoke house be airtight, with the exception of just a single point of exit (chimney)? Or does it matter? If I'm cold smoking, I'm thinking it shouldn't matter...but I don't know. My smokehouse is not built yet, so any help will be appreciated. My heat source will be a propane hotplate (on low) with a skillet full of apple wood chunks.

To be honest, probably helps if it doesn't have a lot of leaks, but I cold smoke on my propane BBQ, just take out the grilling racks, put the bellies on the top warming rack, and use a number 10 can to cold smoke. It isn't perfect, I lose a fair bit of smoke and I can't fit a ton on at one time, but the results are outstanding everytime! I'm currently working on building a hot/cold upright smoker which would handle more and have less smoke loss but you can cold smoke with basically any container (as long as you're careful).
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07 12 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works great. Adjust temp with # of briquettes.
FYI: These were chips for the photo effect. Chunks won't produce that much smoke. See the top pic with chunks.

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
BBQ Guy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08 12 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks fellas - y'all have helped me a ton. I'm going to build my smokehouse inside an old tobacco barn that is behind my house. The reason for asking about leaks is a result of using what lumber is available, or getting new lumber (1x12 utility shelving board - not treated) with good edges. The lumber I have laying around is old barn boards...not the tightest in the world. So, I'll get me some new lumber.

My heat source is likely to be a single propane eye...kinda like an electric hotplate, only its run on propane. I'm thinking at the lowest gas output, it should still smoke up a skillet full of apple chunks without getting too hot. Can't wait to get started on this...now all I gotta do is find the bellies. I'm learning that its not as easy as I thought in finding them.
ComradeQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08 12 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently this place is supposed to be pretty good and cheap for.pork bellies ... http://www.boonesbutchershop.com/. No clue if it is close to you or not but a friend recommends it down there, says all the meat is really cheap and butchered on site so they will do good custom cuts. No idea myself since Im way out in the great white north but good luck on your bacon!
BBQ Guy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08 12 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ComradeQ - they're not a terribly long distance, maybe 150 miles or so...but I am through Bardstown 3 or 4 times a year. May be worth making a pit stop the next time through. Pretty sad - you're in Canada and I didn't even know about them. That's what the 4 lanes will do to ya...thanks for the heads up.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09 12 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

call any grocery store with a decent meat department, they can special order for you. Call A commercial distributor and see if you can do a will call.

You may need to get a case, which will weigh about 50 pounds, so plan on doing a bunch and freezing.

My last purchase price was $2.09/LB for fresh skinless bellies.

I have a batch of country-style bacon curing right now, I take boston-butts and slice them into 2 slabs and remove the bone, cure and smoke the same as belly, it is a leaner meatier bacon, but still rocks.
BBQ Guy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09 12 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update - I just scored! There is a ham and bacon manufacturer not 30 minutes from me. He gets his bellies by the lot (whatever that means - probably more than cases). Anyway, he told me he would sell me bellies at his cost. Not sure if they are skin on or skin off...he's probably set up to take the skin off. Either way, I now have a source for the meat.

Harry - never thought about doing bacon outta butts...I have a freezer full of butts.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10 12 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBQ Guy wrote:
Update - I just scored! There is a ham and bacon manufacturer not 30 minutes from me. He gets his bellies by the lot (whatever that means - probably more than cases). Anyway, he told me he would sell me bellies at his cost. Not sure if they are skin on or skin off...he's probably set up to take the skin off. Either way, I now have a source for the meat.

Harry - never thought about doing bacon outta butts...I have a freezer full of butts.

I used butts to fine tune my cure recipe years ago because they are half the cost. And if you trim them right, many people would find it difficult to tell they are not made from the belly. There is a picture of my shoulder bacon on this forum someplace, I'll see if I can find it
BBQ Guy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16 12 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry - how do you do the butts? You get the bone out then what? I'm not picturing how you'd do this? Do you cut it to where the whole butt lays flat? If you can find your pics, I'd love to see them - maybe I'd understand it then...sorry, I can be thick that way sometimes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: