FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dessert Ideas

View previous topic :: View next topic  
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10 13 2:11 pm    Post subject: Dessert Ideas Reply with quote

I have a gig for 325 next month and need a recipe or scaleable Idea for a dessert.Here are my needs,feed 325 people,simple to make,be able to make a day or week ahead,and my cost under 1.00 per serving.I have ovens so It doesn't and prefer not use the smoker,could also and be a plus if it was a no bake.Ideas? This client booked me for 3 events this year with 2 of then local business people,and a wedding So I would like a wow.
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
Geronimo
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10 13 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One idea is to contact a local bakery in your area to make something for you. Let them know IF it is a "WOW" dessert you could possibly give them more of your dessert business.

Something I did, I found a lady that made "homemade" custom cheesecakes in many flavors. Albeit the price point probably would not fit your situation for your upcoming event but maybe you could find someone that makes wedding cakes at home and come up with something...

Here is one I used for a few events although I have never made for more than 150..

Mini Pineapple Upside-down Cake

Ingredients

1 packet of yellow cake mix
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup butter + 3 tbsp melted butter
2/3 cup brown sugar (you can use regular sugar as an alternative)
12 maraschino cherries (canned ones are fine)
20-ounce can of pineapple rings
12 cup large-muffin tray or mini cupcake moulds

Method

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease the muffin cups.

Drain canned pineapple, reserving liquid in another cup.

Combine the melted butter and brown sugar and beat for 1-2 mins.

Evenly spoon 2 tsp to 1 tbsp of this mixture into the muffin cups. Place a ring of pineapple in the muffin cup, then top with one cherry in the center of the ring.

Beat the cake mix, butter, baking soda and eggs in large bowl. Slowly add the milk and whisk, then add 3 tbsp of the reserved pineapple juice. Beat for 3-4 mins on low speed.

Now divide the batter among muffin cups and spread on top of the pineapple rings evenly. Fill just as you would fill the cups with muffin mixture. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Allow to rest in pan for 2 minutes and then invert onto serving platter.

Serve each mini upside-down pineapple cake topped with whipped cream on the side!

You can also use cherries, plums, peaches, cranberries, bananas and nuts for variations of this recipe.
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11 13 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bacardi Dark Rum Cake with Peaches and Sweetened Whipped Cream.
I'm trying to find the recipe for it. Embarassed
From what I recall, it is a yellow cake mix with a box of pudding added. Bake in a half size sheet pan lined with parchment paper. (I did this for easy removal without screwing up the cake)
When done, pour rum glaze over the hot cake and cool.
Have some peaches prepared with sugar. (frozen or fresh)
Put on top of each slice (2x2) of cake and top with whipped cream.
I'll post it for you when I locate it.

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
Lost Nation
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11 13 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fall back desert is strawberry short cake. I buy the sponge disks from my local baker for $2 per dozen, our local grocery stores also have these.

You can use frozen or fresh Berry's or mix them, we have a strawberry slicer ($10 from amazon) so the prep is pretty fast and we use spray whipped cream.

At service we use the buffet tables. 1 person to lay down bowels, one on the sponge, 1 a 5oz scoop of strawberry's and lastly me on whipped cream.

As you move down the table the guests help themselves.

The cost is around $.50-.60 a serving and you can make about 100 in ten minutes
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11 13 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a few sheet cakes made at your local bakery or supermarket,

Our baker has a printer that prints our logo on an edible film with a food-safe ink, and places that on top of the frosting so the cake is adorned with our logo. Yeah, its fricken cool!!

Other than that, I shared a simple cobbler recipe a few years back, I think a simple search might find that.
Geronimo
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11 13 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a cobbler recipe, I can't remember where I got it and honestly I have not made it but have INTENDED to many a times. Shocked Shocked

Peach Cobbler

2 bags of frozen peaches
12oz can of 7up
yellow cake mix
cinnamon/sugar
honey

Mix can of 7up and yellow cake mix together in a bowl. Place the two bags of frozen peaches in a big foil pan and pour batter on top.
Smooth batter over peaches sprinkle cinnamon on top of batter evenly and then pour honey on top of that to finish it off.
Place on smoker for a couple of hours or until you think it is done. You can cut into it and check batter.
Pull off smoker serve with vanilla ice cream.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11 13 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That recipe looks okay, but the obvious lack of lipids has me concerned on palatability though.

I am not seeing any fats in the recipe, I think a stick of butter (Not margarine) cut into pats and placed on top of the crust before baking would make that recipe much better.

Humans are hardwired to crave fats and oils, without them food strikes us as low quality and not palatable,
For anyone who has ever tried "Low-Fat" substitute foods will know exactly what I am referring to.
ckone
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16 13 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your wants and for 325 people, I think sheet cake is your best bet. Or brownies with ice cream maybe, but that might be tough for $1 a portion.

Cobbler and short cake will break the bank since fruit is not all that cheap.

I do a peanut butter pie that is no bake and simple to make. (could be called cheese cake) It can be done on sheet pans and cut in squares. I think it cost me $20 to make 3, that get cut into 8 each so $.84 a serving give or take a little.

Peanut butter Pie
8 oz cream cheese
1 lb peanut butter
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup chocolate chips
¼ cup water
Graham cracker pie shell
Reese’s peanut butter cups
Spanish peanuts

Cover bottom of pie shell with peanuts. Melt chocolate in water and pour over peanuts and chill. (save some for drizzling on top) Whip cream cheese, peanut butter, powdered sugar and cream. Spread mixture over chocolate. Dust top with cocoa powder, drizzle with chocolate, sprinkle with chopped peanut butter cups. Refrigerate at least 4 hours.

I get the large pie shells, and fill them pretty tall (4"ish), so is is a large portion. You can get away with doing 2 pies per listed fill and it should still be generous.

The problem here would be that you need 33 if you cut them 10 each.

If you made them on sheet pans (18x26) 5 batches of fill should cover around and inch deep then cut 6x8 for roughly 3" squares.

It does need to be kept cold until served, but it keeps real well. We tend to make it every 5 days or so.

You can also leave the peanuts out and use less PB cups to cut cost down. Or use other candy like snickers.

A Stand mixer is very helpful. (We have a 6qt Kitchen aide and make 3 at a time)

It is rich so a little goes a long way.
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16 13 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intresting
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Catering All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: