FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Garlic Mashed Potatoes for 200

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fireman_pete
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29 12 6:12 am    Post subject: Garlic Mashed Potatoes for 200 Reply with quote

Have a wedding where they have requested garlic mashed potatoes. There will be 200 people there.

Anyone have a great, and easy recipe that I can cook in the smoker? What about using instant potatoes versus boiling and mashing? That seems like a lot of mashing to do.

Thanks!

Pete
Geronimo
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29 12 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't offer anything that I couldn't easily prepare and cook on site. If they asked for something I was unable to provide with reasonable labor and costs, I simply told them I was unable to provide...we are a BBQ caterer with limited menu and somewhat limited resourses, NOT a "full service" caterer where YOU get to pick the menu out of the sky...or elsewhere.
fireman_pete
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29 12 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear what you are saying, but garlic mashed potatoes seem pretty simple. We offer roasted red potatoes, so garlic mashed are just another step beyond that.

Thanks for the feedback.

Geronimo wrote:
I didn't offer anything that I couldn't easily prepare and cook on site. If they asked for something I was unable to provide with reasonable labor and costs, I simply told them I was unable to provide...we are a BBQ caterer with limited menu and somewhat limited resourses, NOT a "full service" caterer where YOU get to pick the menu out of the sky...or elsewhere.
Geronimo
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29 12 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the "Roasted Red Potatoes" you just have to cut into quarters, season and put on a sheet pan to go into the smoker/oven.

With Garlic Mashed Potatoes, you have to have a BIG (more than one for 200 guests) pot(s), a couple of propane burners, then you have to PEEL all those potatoes after boiling, then add your other ingredients and have some way of mashing them so you don't have a bunch of lumps...I HATE lumps in my mashed potatoes. Shocked

Although, maybe you are doing things differently than what I described above?? Shocked Shocked
fireman_pete
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30 12 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our mashed potatoes are lumpy, and we do not peel, we keep the skins on. People really like them.

Just need to find an easier way to mix and mash. Already have the large pots and the propane burners on the trailer.

THanks

Geronimo wrote:
With the "Roasted Red Potatoes" you just have to cut into quarters, season and put on a sheet pan to go into the smoker/oven.

With Garlic Mashed Potatoes, you have to have a BIG (more than one for 200 guests) pot(s), a couple of propane burners, then you have to PEEL all those potatoes after boiling, then add your other ingredients and have some way of mashing them so you don't have a bunch of lumps...I HATE lumps in my mashed potatoes. Shocked

Although, maybe you are doing things differently than what I described above?? Shocked Shocked
ckone
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30 12 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fireman_pete wrote:
Our mashed potatoes are lumpy, and we do not peel, we keep the skins on. People really like them.

Just need to find an easier way to mix and mash. Already have the large pots and the propane burners on the trailer.

I assume you already have a large commercial style potato masher.

It is not that bad to mash a whole case of potatoes by hand. 2 will be a bit of a chore, but I think it is still very doable. I think this because we do it every day for our smashed potatoes (real lumpy no milk) I would suggest doing the mashing in bus tubs or similar. (think long/ shallow vs the deep narrow of cooking pot. A floor mixer is about the only thing that will help with that large of a quantity, but I doubt you have one on your trailer. I don't even have one at my raunt.

About the instant potatoes: you said your mashers are lumpy with skin and that people really like them. If the client had those then you cant give them instant and expect them to be satisfied since there will be no lumps or skin.
G Spot BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30 12 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a food mill that comes with various size grates. You can do about 3lbs. of potatoes in about a minute or so. you will have a smoother mashed potatoe so if you like the rustic kind of mashed potatoes a bit on the lumpy size a food mill may not be what you are looking for. Still a bit of labor involved but not as near as intensive as a hand masher.

You can spend anywhere from $25 to several hundred on a mill but they have multiple uses. I definetly would not go with instant potatoes. I am instantly disappointed when someone serves those up on my plate.
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30 12 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use reds, boil or smoke, dont peel, add butter, milk, s n p and garlic to my biggest pot [ 6 gallons?] Use my [ brand new polished aluminum ] paint / drywall compound mixer [ found at any big box or large hardware store, the type that resembles a sideways "H" ] and right angle drill to mash!! Works fantastic!
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
RodinBangkok
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30 12 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is quite simple to do this quantity of potatoes, it sounds like you've got about everything you need, except maybe one of these:

http://www.potatoricer.org.uk/extra-large-potato-ricer-high-quality-aluminium/

The ricer will give you a uniform consistency and you can always hand mash some if you want a few lumps.

When doing garlic mash we roast whole garlic heads with just the top bit cut off.

You can do this by removing the loose paper on the outside of the head of garlic, and cut just enough of the top to expose most of the cloves. Put these on a sheet of al foil, and drizzle with a little olive oil and sea salt, seal the foil into a pouch and roast for about 20 minutes at 350, open and cool a bit, or if you have a good glove just squeeze these out into the ricer hot while your ricing the potatoes. You can add butter or whatever else you want right in the ricer, give these a good toss around in a hotel pan, seal with foil and you can hold them for quite a while. Make sure with the ricer the potatoes are cook well so they squeeze out easily.
If your pressed for time the garlic can be done well in advance.
fireman_pete
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30 12 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies guys, I really appreciate it!
Pete's Firehouse BBQ
-Award Winning BBQ, Catering & Spice Rubs
www.petesfirehousebbq.com
ckone
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30 12 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Tony's BBQ wrote:
I use reds, boil or smoke, dont peel, add butter, milk, s n p and garlic to my biggest pot [ 6 gallons?] Use my [ brand new polished aluminum ] paint / drywall compound mixer [ found at any big box or large hardware store, the type that resembles a sideways "H" ] and right angle drill to mash!! Works fantastic!

That would do it nicely.
Ridge View BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30 12 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.equippers.com/shop/product-detail.aspx?pcid=49&scid=4990&pid=10639&q=&returnUrl=%2fshop%2fsearch.aspx%3fq%3dpotato%257cmasher
Wells Cargo 20' Concession Trailer w/porch 24"
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31 12 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option (depending on your supplier) is to get a potato product that is 80% cooked already.

We use a peeled sliced product like that for our Jarlsberg Gratin potatoes, it cuts down the prep time considerably and shortens cook time too.

I think you could you use a large diced 80% cooked product, pan them, finish the cook in the pit, mash, season serve.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Catering All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: