FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

new smoker coming this weekend.. need advice
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17 12 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cadmaster, the choice between reverse flow, standard offset or even a hybrid are going to fall on your shoulders in the end.
Reverse flows are nice cookers no doubt and when they are set up properly and you learn the cooker you have a cooker with pretty much even cooking across your grates.

A regular offset with tuning plates will afford you the versatility of being able to even out your grates or create hotter cooking areas.

The hybrid cooker allows you to cook in several different ways if you choose. I chose a hybrid as my personal cooker knowing that I prefer cooking with tuning plates over the R/F but still wanted the R/F option.

Both styles are in my signature, there is also a sticky in the cooker section that shows the Hybrid build with out all the comments. I will be more than happy to help you and your welder convert your cooker to which ever way you choose.
Basically your cooker is pretty much an open book to change the way it is now.
I hope this helps. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Beertooth
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18 12 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if it were me, I would try to have the reverse flow plate(s) removable.
Put two stacks on it. One at each end. Both closeable.
That way you could use it either way.

Something like k.a.m. did HERE. Smile
18.5" WSM (Stoked)
22.5" WSM
85 Gallon UDS
Weber Smokey Joe/Mini WSM
Cast Iron Cookware
24" Disc Cooker
Masterbuilt 40" Electric
Char-Griller Akorn
cadmaster
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19 12 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just glancing thru images and getting ideas for my smoker mod.. i came across this charcoal basket.. i typically only use charcoal to get fire burning then wood the rest of the cook.. but curious if anyone has this type and whats the advantage..

thanks!

Big Ron
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19 12 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cadmaster wrote:
just glancing thru images and getting ideas for my smoker mod.. i came across this charcoal basket.. i typically only use charcoal to get fire burning then wood the rest of the cook.. but curious if anyone has this type and whats the advantage..

thanks!

I have tried something simliar in another cooker. If the doors are air tight it will work, but if not the whole charcoal train will light and you won't be able to stop it. I also agree with a bigger firebox. Also some more storage and some burners would be nice.
www.bigronswebsite.com

(Find Big Ron's Rub on Facebook)
Big Ron's Custom Reverse Flow Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQxbfOx_MOE
cadmaster
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20 12 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another general question.. i came across this image and noticed the area above the firebox.. i ASSUME its a warming chamber.. this looks like its a reverse flow smoker and the exhaust goes into the bottom of this area than escapes out of exhaust at top.. if thats correct wouldnt this be more than a warming area since it will be too hot?.. if its not a warming area than what typically constitutes a warming area.. what keeps food warm?

thanks!

Last edited by cadmaster on Thu Dec 20 12 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20 12 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cadmaster, the pic is to large and will most likely go by by when SoEzzy sees it.
To answer your question that looks like a Bubba grill R/F cooker. The box in question is referred to as a rib box on his models.
The R/F in my signature is set up slightly different as I can close off that chamber to create a warmer. I prefer my warmers to just heat and not add smoke, mine runs around 145° to 200° depending on what the main chamber is doing.

Hybrid Cooker
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20 12 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cadmaster please read PMPNLT650pxOTLS!

I still work here!
cadmaster
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20 12 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soezzy, 2nd time.. fixed it.. sorry again :O(
cadmaster
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21 12 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings all.. doing some planning for when I modify this smoker.. looking for some general knowledge.. attached is a section of my tank..

A) What should the clear distance be from the bottom of my tank to the tuning plates
B) Clear distance from far left edge of tank to last tuning plate
C) The location/distance of the firebox opening into bottom of tank.. Challenge is the size of the firebox (approx 24” cube) keeping the bottom of the firebox at a safe height from ground, especially during travel..
D) should there be a min distance from bott of tank to edge of firebox heat entrance?.. also top of heat entrance to bott of tuning plates?

Currently the 1st cooking grate is approx 15” from bott of tank, i would like to keep that distance

i realize a lot of this may be subjective, but at least it gives me a starting point.. I appreciate the knowledge fellas.. thanks!

k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21 12 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cadmaster,
A) What should the clear distance be from the bottom of my tank to the tuning plates
I do not worry about that distance. The firebox to cooking chamber opening and grease bridge will determine this for you.The distance I look at is between the tuning plates or the R/F plate to the lowest cooking grate.
I prefer 1" to 5" between the R/F plate and the grate with a 1" fall from the firebox.
On tuning plates I will go 4.5" to 6" distance.
Note: I always place the top of the firebox opening at the very top, this helps with the flow of the heat/smoke. The top of my fireboxes are a continuation of the R/F plate or tuning plates.

B) Clear distance from far left edge of tank to last tuning plate
Create enough tuning plates to cover your cooking area and have at least 1" gap between them.
On R/F plates just make sure your opening is at least as large as your firebox to cooking chamber opening.

C) The location/distance of the firebox opening into bottom of tank.. Challenge is the size of the firebox (approx 24” cube) keeping the bottom of the firebox at a safe height from ground, especially during travel..
Your firebox to cooking chamber opening dictates this, you can however install a deflector on a slight angle to help raise the firebox. When possible I change the firebox height to alleviate this.

D) should there be a min distance from bott of tank to edge of firebox heat entrance?.. also top of heat entrance to bott of tuning plates?
If your referring to the grease bridge I prefer 1.5" to 2" tall.

Hybrid Cooker
cadmaster
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22 12 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kam.. thank you for the knowledge..

what is the purpose of the grease bridge/secondary drain.. and typically where are they?

thanks!
cadmaster
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23 12 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K.a.m... respond to above when you get a min please.. thanks!
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23 12 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cadmaster, I apologize I have been kinda busy and just catching up. Embarassed
The grease bridge will help keep meat drippings from entering the firebox and causing a fire in the tunnel if your main drain is not open during a cook. Believe me it is not of question of if but when and it does happen.
I mount the secondary drain next to the main drain, this drain allows you to wash out the R/F tunnel in case you over flowed into it. You can open the drain and hose out through the firebox to cooking chamber opening.

Hybrid Cooker
cadmaster
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24 12 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate the help.. updated the dwg with the new info.. couple of more questions

- The firebox opening into tank is approx 9” off bottom of tank.. do u think this will be an issue?
- What is the required approx size of firebox to cooking chamber opening?
- I have 3/16” Thickness for tuning plates, 6” long each, shown with a 1” gap in between each plate.. this typical?
- Last tuning plate to tank is approx 8”
- I added a deflector plate in firebox since the bottom of the firebox is approx 16” off ground and its 24” high/cube.. the deflector angle is approx 15 degrees.. this angle too much?

Thanks again for the knowledge fallas!!

cadmaster
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26 12 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone reply to the above when you get a free minute please, wanna start getting prices on the mod..

thanks!!
GeorgeH
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27 12 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about designing smokers but it seems to me that the deflector should be level. I'd ask KAM about it. He is the expert.

George
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27 12 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just glancing at the whole thing here are a couple of things I'd adjust.

The plate in the fire box, I'd bring it down to level, if the fire is rolling up towards the door you get a blast of fire in the face every time you open the door, and you will burn more fuel to maintain the same temperature than you would need if the top of the firebox was flat.

A downward plate in the cooking chamber isn't so bad, but from then on you should either have a set of nearly flat tuning plates or a tilted down reverse flow plate, I didn't read all the bumff to see which one you are planning on.

I still work here!
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27 12 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cadmaster,
1.) What size firebox are you going with?
2.) How high off the bottom of the cooking chamber is the top of the lowest grate?
3.)What is the distance from the ground to the top of the lowest cooking grate when the trailer is level?
Personally I would not go with your current design showing the deflector as is nor would I angle my tuning plate rails.
With the above questions answered I can lay out what I would do but not until I know the answers.

Hybrid Cooker
cadmaster
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27 12 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soezzy and kam, thank you for replying!

the firebox is 24" cube, it would be nice if it was smaller but a previous post said 28" in minimum.. the bottom of the cooking chamber/tuning plates to the top of the lowest grate is 5".. and it is 3' from ground to top of lowest cooking grate..

i have redrew the plan.. i leveled the tuning plates and lowered the firebox to 8" off the ground which put the top of the firebox a couple of inches above the tuning plates

only items i think i need is (along with any comments/changes you may have with above info).. the square inches of the exhaust from firebox to heating chamber, and is 1/4" tuning plates by 8" long typical... go w/ 3/16" or stay w/ 1/4"?

i really appreciate the help.. thank yall for the advice!

k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27 12 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cadmaster, do you plan on making the cooker a dedicated R/F design or Hybrid like mine?

Hybrid Cooker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: