FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Injecting vs. Marinade--Beef Brisket

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ExperiencedRookie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03 13 12:51 pm    Post subject: Injecting vs. Marinade--Beef Brisket Reply with quote

I have never injected or used a marinade on a brisket and was wondering what the difference between the two are? I think a marinade would be great, usually marinade my chicken, but have never tried on any other meats. Also, I want some opinions before I go buy an injector...My last brisket was the best one to date except that the flat was a little dry. Super tender and delicious just a tad dryer than the point and I feel like that could be fixed with an injection or maybe overnight marinade.

Do you inject or marinade your briskets?

If so, with what and for how long?

If you have done both, can you tell a difference between injecting and marinading?[/b]

I usually just apply salt/fresh cracked black pepper after a little trimming and it goes right on the smoker.

Thanks!
Mish
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03 13 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have injected with beef broth and some rub mixed in.
I have never used a marinade on brisket.
Really depends on how lazy I am at the moment if I do or don't.

Injectors are cheap to buy get one and try it out.
30in Masterbuilt Electric Smoker
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03 13 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExperiencedRookie, more importantly than injecting or marinading would be brisket selection and cooking technique in my opinion. I have injected lessor grade briskets before using my same methods and have them come out moist while on the same note injected briskets of better grade to have them come out a bit drier than the other. Sounds confusing doesn't it well it is. Laughing If your going to inject beef broth alone it does not do much for a brisket other than add flavor, you will need to try an injection designed for beef such as Big Ron's, Butchers, or Kosmos. there are some other as well. Some of these injections contain phosphates and other things such as MSG but all contain the ingredients to help retain moisture.
While I have never marinaded a brisket I have read enough mixed reviews to come to the same conclusion on brisket selection and technique.
You did not mention how you cooked the brisket or what grade it was, if we know these things we may be able to correct some problems you may be having.
The brisket point is commonly called the moist end of the brisket, the grain is coarser much like roast beef and it yields more internal fat than the flat so it will almost always be moister than the flat.
I hope this helps. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
G Spot BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03 13 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I trim some of the fat off the point and put it on the flat. Skewer the fat on the flat with a couple of tooth picks.
Helps keep that flat moist. I have never found the need to inject or marinade a beef brisket.
BluDawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04 13 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it unnecessary to marinate Brisket is supposed to taste like Beef & Smoke. Not sorta like Beef and Smoke and something else. I used to inject to try and get a more pronounced flavor but no more. Brisket done right and as simple as possible is a Beautiful thing that no amount of embellishing can improve upon.
Webber 22 OTS
Memorial UDS "Big Jim"
ExperiencedRookie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05 13 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:

You did not mention how you cooked the brisket or what grade it was, if we know these things we may be able to correct some problems you may be having.

I always use Choice grade brisket. I try to trim the fat down to 1/4" thick and just apply a basic coarse black pepper and salt rub on it. Smoke them low and slow, wrap with butcher paper during the "stall", when it gets to 200*-205* I take it off spray with water/worchestershire mix, wrap in foil and place in the oven (with the oven off, I dont own a cooler so same idea basically) for about 2 hours or so. My last brisket turned out great and was the best one I have done besides a partially dry flat. Mostly just asking to see what you other guys do and if you have tried the injection/marinade techniques. Thanks!
Brian Briggs
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05 13 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always inject my brisket with Butchers. Comes out real juicy. I have never "marinated". However, i do rub the injection on the meat, put my rub on it and wrap with saran wrap overnight. This really does turn into a marinade because when you remove the brisket from the saran wrap it is soaking wet.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05 13 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExperiencedRookie wrote:
k.a.m. wrote:

I always use Choice grade brisket. I try to trim the fat down to 1/4" thick and just apply a basic coarse black pepper and salt rub on it. Smoke them low and slow, wrap with butcher paper during the "stall", when it gets to 200*-205* I take it off spray with water/worchestershire mix, wrap in foil and place in the oven (with the oven off, I dont own a cooler so same idea basically) for about 2 hours or so. My last brisket turned out great and was the best one I have done besides a partially dry flat. Mostly just asking to see what you other guys do and if you have tried the injection/marinade techniques. Thanks!

ExperiencedRookie, your method sounds solid to me you may try using foil instead of the butcher paper the foil may retain a bit more moisture during the wrap. The only thing I can think of on your last one was that it is possible the brisket was a bit leaner than normal and or your heat was up and down a bit much. As I said I have had choice briskets come out a bit drier than selects before it happens. I rarely inject at home we just use our rub and cook them.

Hybrid Cooker
ExperiencedRookie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06 13 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
ExperiencedRookie wrote:
k.a.m. wrote:

ExperiencedRookie, your method sounds solid to me you may try using foil instead of the butcher paper the foil may retain a bit more moisture during the wrap. The only thing I can think of on your last one was that it is possible the brisket was a bit leaner than normal and or your heat was up and down a bit much. As I said I have had choice briskets come out a bit drier than selects before it happens. I rarely inject at home we just use our rub and cook them.

Thanks K.a.m. I tried wrapping in foil before when I first started out doing briskets and they seemed to have less bark than I would like. But...I think I have honed my skills down and am a lot better now so Ill try wrapping in just foil my next brisket.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: