FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Meaty ribs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13 12 4:39 pm    Post subject: Meaty ribs Reply with quote

I have been having this problem for a few years and have changed vendors a few times because of it.
My problem is finding meaty pork ribs.I know we all have this problem,but I'm wondering if I'm specing the wrong size I.E 3 1/2 down,2 1/2 down etc.
How do a spec a meaty rib?I have tried many diffrent brands and get about the same;although I do like curly's but can't get them often and the local butchers get there ribs from the same places i get mine so that won't help.
How do you spec a rib to tell a vendor what you want?
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
smokin Jim
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14 12 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our local Costco stores have just started providing St.Louis cut ribs. They are Swift brand and I didn't see any designation on the packaging as to the size, ie 3 1/2 down etc. These are very meaty and I hope they keep them coming. I know I am up in Canada and this doesn't help too many on the forum, but there are Canadian members that can take advantage of this.
VC5007 gasser
KCBS CBJ
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14 12 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pork quality has been all over the place for the last few years, even the quality of Curly's has declined considerably from what I was seeing from them, but Curly's was also purchased by Smithfield, so that could explain the quality change too

Ethanol for fuel from corn is what I blame, that and the ongoing drought for lowered quality seen in pork these days..
sseige
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14 12 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for that and price three years ago I switched to full spares and hand trim to a custom st. Louis cut. I set up my menu to take advantage of the trim. I sill get shiners from time to time but not many. I charge 15 for a half rack and 2 sides and have not had anyone complain on value. Before I switched we used 2.5 and down and then 2.25s they seemed to have more top coverage than the 2.5s both were cma's

Gasser!
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14 12 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use IBP exclusively from Restaurant Depot. 3 1/2 and up 38 lb and up case size. 1.39 lb. last week. We use only fresh meat. I also trim my own spares. We pre trim removing the breast bones and cutting the rack in half, then folding over the brisket meat to expose fat so it cooks off. After smoking we hold them in the warmer. Before serving we trim to a few ounces over 1 lb. We remove the cartage from the trim, dice up and sell as rib tip sandwiches and dinners. If you compare prices with St. Louis cut we are getting the tip meat for free and we sell hundreds of tip meals a week at the cost of rolls and accompaniments. Great value for the customer and money in the bank for me.
PaleAle
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16 12 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use baby backs by "Chairman's Reserve". They cost a bit more but well worth it IMHO
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17 12 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy whole spares, the question is how do I get product with meat on it.Is it the lower the number 2.25 and down going to have more meat on it then say a 3.25 and down?
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17 12 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have meaty ribs but my weights are 4.25 and up average for full spares. What is your goal here? How much do you want to sell them for and at what food cost? I think I would feel happier as a customer to pay a bit more for more meat / less bones. I think hogs have a pretty consistent yield to a point then you start getting a bulkier finish. I do not think the heavier weights are tougher, that's what a good cook counters with low and slow anyway. You can buy frozen European ribs like many chains do that average 1/2 the weight of Mid-western as well. The big thing is consistency and price, and the goal is to get it without paying extra. Which is not easy. Big movers have contracts with processors and some have even gotten into processing to take control. Curley's and Nick and Jim's come to mind. We get the sloppy seconds often for the same price as the big guys get the cream of the crop. The rich get richer!!!
Ridge View BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17 12 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qfanatic01 wrote:
I have meaty ribs but my weights are 4.25 and up average for full spares. What is your goal here? How much do you want to sell them for and at what food cost? I think I would feel happier as a customer to pay a bit more for more meat / less bones. I think hogs have a pretty consistent yield to a point then you start getting a bulkier finish. I do not think the heavier weights are tougher, that's what a good cook counters with low and slow anyway. You can buy frozen European ribs like many chains do that average 1/2 the weight of Mid-western as well. The big thing is consistency and price, and the goal is to get it without paying extra. Which is not easy. Big movers have contracts with processors and some have even gotten into processing to take control. Curley's and Nick and Jim's come to mind. We get the sloppy seconds often for the same price as the big guys get the cream of the crop. The rich get richer!!!

Ok Charlie, you are talking about Nick and Jim's the chain and not Jim and Nick down at little ol Ridge View BBQ. Cause I can tell ya for a fact we sure ain't gettin rich...... Jim
Wells Cargo 20' Concession Trailer w/porch 24"
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17 12 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ridge View BBQ wrote:
qfanatic01 wrote:

Ok Charlie, you are talking about Nick and Jim's the chain and not Jim and Nick down at little ol Ridge View BBQ. Cause I can tell ya for a fact we sure ain't gettin rich...... Jim

I here you there. My hourly wage went down to a 4 year low this week as I got close to 100 hours in. Yes, the chain and I just seem to recall someone from a packing company mention their expansion into that industry. I think it was the fella from Duroc Pork. The new hoof to plate movement.
Moe's Famous
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18 12 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing but Prairie Fresh Ribs for me.
Shotgun Petes
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19 12 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We get ours from Sam's Club. The quality is pretty consistent. I have been buying from them for 3 years now and the ribs have almost always been real meaty and very good quality as well.

"If you can't BBQ with the Big Dogs, back away from the Pit!"

SHOTGUN PETE'S BBQ SHACK
28 N Ninth St
COLUMBIA, MO

(Downtown across from The Blue Note)
feldon30
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27 12 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smokin Jim wrote:
Our local Costco stores have just started providing St.Louis cut ribs. They are Swift brand and I didn't see any designation on the packaging as to the size, ie 3 1/2 down etc. These are very meaty and I hope they keep them coming. I know I am up in Canada and this doesn't help too many on the forum, but there are Canadian members that can take advantage of this.

After striking out on any decent ribs at local grocery stores and Wal-mart, I checked out Costco and found exactly what you are describing -- Swift Premium baby backs, spares, and nicely trimmed St. Louis style ribs. Roundabout $24 for 3 racks of babies or St. Louis, or $20 for 2 racks of spares. No phosphates or other crap, and very meaty. I bought a Costco subscription on-the-spot just for their ribs and other meats.

Btw I'm in Rock Hill, SC. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: