FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wrapping ribs vs. spritzing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
btnaig

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03 13 1:24 am    Post subject: Wrapping ribs vs. spritzing Reply with quote

I am new to BBQ and couldn't find a good answer on here to this question. I get the concept of wrapping ribs and other meats, to keep moisture in the meat and prevent the stall on larger cuts. And spritzing, keeping moisture on the meat while it cooks. My question about wrapping is when I see videos of people wrapping ribs they usually add brown sugar and squeeze margarine and honey, which are basic ingredients in caramel. Wouldn't this caramel mess up the bark on the ribs and lead to a sweeter taste than ribs spritzed with apple juice and vinegar? Thank you for any explanation.
patruns
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03 13 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is just nasty. Wrap ribs in the middle of the cooking period if you must and maybe even spritz with some apple juice, but I would never add any type of candy coating, especially when wrapping. I sauce lightly the last hour unwrapped.

Char-Griller Outlaw with SFB
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber Q 220
LIAR#49
GeorgeH
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03 13 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sugar will burn if left on the ribs too long, though I'm not completely sure it will burn if you apply it before wrapping since I have never done it. I have to agree with patruns on spritzing. I think it is better to apply a BBQ sauce (which has sugar in it) on one side an hour before you take the ribs off the smoker. Then 30 min later turn them over and apply more sauce on the other side. That is what I do anyway. The fact is I don't ever wrap ribs. They turn out a little chewier than wrapped but I like them a little chewier.

George
Wvcooker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12 13 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the 3,2,1 method out. 3 in the smoke, 2 in foil and 1 back in the cooker. I have used this method for a long time.
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12 13 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard btnaig.
I don't foil ribs during the cook. I foil them before puting them into a preheated cooler though.
I only use Roxy's Rib Glaze on mine. You can't go wrong with it.

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12 13 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the ring btnaig, looking forward to seeing some pics of your cooks. Smile
What you are describing is commonly called the Johnny Trigg method. Personally I do not care for the flavor profile others do. I cook my ribs at around 250° at the grate I use a shorter version of the 3-2-1 because the 3-2-1 method in my opinion over cooks the ribs.
I hope this helps. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Pork Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: