FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Butt/picnic bacon Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Q-in
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24 13 10:30 pm    Post subject: Butt/picnic bacon Question Reply with quote

i wanted to try making some buckboard bacon and found that I can get the Hi-Mountain cure at the local Bass pro.
I had planned on picking up a loin,but after reading the product description,it said make bacon out of butt.
It got me thinking,I have a sliced butt and a picnic in the freezer.
So for the questions,
Would you use either or buy a loin?
Witch one,sliced butt or picnic?
This is my first attempt at bacon and want it to be at least decent.
Confused
ComradeQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25 13 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know most people use the butt for buckboard. The loin will give you Canadian bacon, good too. Harry, on this forum, mentioned that he slices his pork butt so it is in slabs similar in size and shape to actual pork belly bacon. That way after curing and smoking it can be sliced into strips that look almost identical to actual bacon. If I were doing it that's the way I would go. Of course you could also get pork belly and use that cure to make actual bacon.

When you say sliced butt, how is it sliced? You don't want thin slices to go in the cure, a slab is better that you can then slice after curing and smoking. You could use picnic too, just slice it into slabs that you could slice into bacon after the cure, making sure to remove the skin and debone.
Q-in
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25 13 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ComradeQ
The butt is sliced probably 1/2 thick.
I was curious if there would be different tastes too and if being frozen would be an issue or not.
ComradeQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25 13 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q-in wrote:
Thanks ComradeQ
The butt is sliced probably 1/2 thick.
I was curious if there would be different tastes too and if being frozen would be an issue or not.

Freezing doesn't make a big difference IMO, some people even recommend freezing pork for cured products (bacon, sausages, salamis, etc) because it kills the Trichinosis parasite. Generally they recommend 30 days of freezing for this to be completely effective. I don't feel it is really needed as long as you have a good source for your pork.

I have made bacon with previously frozen pork belly that I had vacuum sealed prior to freezing, then defrosted in the fridge over a period of 2-3 days. I actually found it helped to make it a nice dry bacon, not a big difference overall but very subtle.

You can try the butt at that thickness but I recommend using slabs that are closer to the thickness of Bacon you would see in a store. That way you can slice nice rashers to fry up. The half inch pieces might be difficult to get a good sized slice. Also, you should keep in mind the cure will be shorter if it is that thin, maybe 3 days as opposed to a week that I cure most bacon for. You can always experiment, try some butt and try some bigger shoulder slabs, see what you prefer. Always glad to help! Remember, pics or none of your cures ever happened, lol!
ComradeQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25 13 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. I wouldn't think there would be a big difference between the taste of buckboard butts or buckboard picnic shoulder, both are from the same area and both have good marbling. The loin would be different though since there is virtually no fat and it is a much different texture and flavour of pork from the butt and shoulder. If you have ever had Canadian bacon then you know the difference.
Q-in
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26 13 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ComradeQ Thanks again! Cool
I was thinking the butt would be to thin + I was planning on grinding it anyway.So it will probably be the picnic,but I just saw Schnucks has butts on sale for $.99 a #.and plan on loading up.I just need to make the trip to Bass and get some cure.
Q-in
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16 13 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ended up going with the picnic.Today is day 10 and just pulled it out and rinsed and is soaking in water.The instructions say soak for 1 to 2 hours,pat dry and let set at room temperature for a least 1 hour.
Ok,I guess since it's cured now that safe to do?Is there no more danger zone?
I planned on soaking with ice water for around 4-6 hours and then letting it dry in the fridge till Sunday.
A little concerned about temperature of soaking and the hole letting it sit at room temp for over an hour. Confused
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16 13 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relax, if you used cure, either commercial, or you made your own and it included cure #1, or Prague powder, or Tenderquick you are safe.

Rinse in cold running water, it doesn't need to be running much, just enough so that there is water movement in and out.

You can either add or not add sliced raw potato to bowl, some say it helps pull out the salt... some say it doesn't, (I personally think it does), some folks even use potato flakes from mashed potato and make a slurry to make a potato mush that helps draw some of the salt.

The air drying you can do on a cooling rack in your fridge, a pellicle a, (salt membrane), slightly tacky, then drying to a slight shine over the surface of the meat. It will then be ready for smoking, start it off very low with a good smoke on it, take the temperature up 10° every 2 - 3 hours, until you get to an internal temperature of 150° or so.

You will then be able to allow it to cool, slice and then cook in a frying pan and eating.

Butts give a better texture to the bacon than picnics, IMO!

I still work here!
Q-in
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16 13 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you SoEzzy
I used the Hi Mountain Buckboard cure
I had the picnic and don't care for them for pulled pork,so thought what the heck.I guess I'll see come Sunday.
Thanks again, I feel a lot better now
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16 13 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something I have done to reduce saltiness is to not use so much salt to begin with.

For each pound of meat I am using 3/4ths of a TBS of salt.
And supplementing with Sugar

I'll let you figure the ratio;
Okay, lets say I am doing a 12.5# belly (typical weight)
I would use 8-TBS salt, and 4-TBS sugar, 2.5 tsp cure #1
My bacon is NOT salty, I do not soak, I rinse, hang to dry, then smoke at temps under 100.
Q-in
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24 13 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turned out awesome.Sort of a cross between bacon and ham.I'm going to do a butt next and start looking for a good place to get some belly at a decent price.Thanks for all the input. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: