FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it dangerous to smoke on a wooden patio
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bouyachaka

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09 13 5:43 am    Post subject: Is it dangerous to smoke on a wooden patio Reply with quote

I plan to buy a WSM but I live in a condo and my patio is made out of wood. I think that it could be dangerous if briquettes acidentally fall on the patio... Am I right? Shocked Do you people know if a kind of protection carpet for patio exists? Because the patio is on the 4th floor that would be nice if it is not overweight...

Idea Thank you for sharing your experience, Idea

DKT
Woody1911a1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09 13 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at least where I live , what you're planning on doing is very illegal .

and yes it is very dangerous !!!
BBcue-z
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09 13 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m not recommending smoking/grilling on a wooden patio and especially that high up. My WSM was knocked over by gusty wind once. And I would definitely check the local codes.
However, I do use these auto drip pans under my grills and smoker for protection.
Free Image Hosting
They’re very light, fire resistance and cost $11 at Wal Mart. You’ll find them in the Auto care section.
bouyachaka

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09 13 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh that's a good advice! Maybe i should reconsider buying the WSM Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad and look for an electric smoker...

Last edited by bouyachaka on Sat Feb 09 13 6:12 am; edited 1 time in total
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09 13 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bouyachaka, you may want to check with the landlord on this. Also from past threads on members and neighbors in similar situations it seems some folks do not share our love of smoke and made it tough on the member to even light the smoker.
To answer your question wood decks are not ideal places to run a smoker much less four stories up. That could turn deadly real fast.

Hybrid Cooker
bouyachaka

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09 13 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the landlord of my condo and for the neighbors im on the top floor so the smoke should go to the sky without making them too nervous...

The main problem is the local code that I will look at and the safety issue...
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09 13 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a piece of cement board (under $20 at the Despot) under my outdoor fireplace on a wooden deck. We used to do the same with our chimineas at our lakehouse out on the deck with no troubles. I use an old-fashioned tin washtub under the firebox of my offset. Not only will it catch any embers that might fall out, it also makes a handy place to scoop out the ashes after each cook.
MacEggs
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09 13 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started using these last summer.
I brought them inside for the winter.
Hopefully they will last for awhile.

The cookers (so far).
Some Weber kettles of various age, color and size
UDS & Mini UDS
Abby Normal ECB
Napoleon Propane Grill
bouyachaka

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09 13 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!

I love the masterchef's grill pad! Only 12,99$ at Canadian Tire Surprised ! Wouhou my project will work! I just have to convince neighbors then it's done!

Thank you all for your support, you are amazing!

DKT
yardman5508
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09 13 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for grilling mats of some sort.

I spent a Christmas eve once sawing the smoldering parts of our deck apart. Pretty exciting but not real smart.

There is about as little "leakage" of burning matter from a WSM as there is from anything. But go for the protection.
Smokey Joe
GF
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09 13 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bouyachaka, I read your post in the cooker section. If you're planning on doing fish at a low temp. mostly, an electric may be the way to go.

Check out the sausage making section, alot of guys use the electrics, lots of info. there. Very Happy

Do a little reading and get what will best suit your needs and wants. Wink

BTW, if you get a charcoal unit, add a fire extinguisher to your grill pad purchase. Cheap insurance I hope you never have to use. Very Happy
bouyachaka

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10 13 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GF : You put doubt in my mind Confused ... After reading several posts, I noticed that ppl says that an electric smoker (f.e. MES30) do the job but the smoke taste is not as good as a WSM... I think also that someone said that it can' t be plugged on an electric extension cord wich is disapointing.

On the other hand, someone who seems to know a lot about smoking told me in the other forum that it is possible to smoke with a WSM as low as 150 F but it is a lot of job....

Is the MES30 does a job waaaay down the WSM? Is the electrical extension cord thing is true?

Is the WSM require a loooooot of work to smoke at 150 F? Is it still dangerous to do so on a grillpad protected wooden deck with a fire extinguisher?

Thank you for your advices, best regards!

DKT
----------------------------------------
Broil-Mate 4 burners and soon a smoker!
feldon30
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10 13 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weber Smokey Mountain and other popular smokers are great for high temperature smoking of chicken, pork, and beef at 225°F - 350°F (107°C - 177°C). There's no reason you can't also use them for low temperature smoking of fish, cheese, etc. But it might be overkill. Smile

Fish is done at a lower temperature and can be done on really any type of equipment including a Weber grill with a coffee can with briquettes inside it.
bouyachaka

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10 13 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

feldon30 :
Quote:
There's no reason you can't also use them for low temperature smoking of fish, cheese, etc. But it might be overkill. Smile

The main reason why I'm buying a smoker is to get back the taste of my region (indian) smoked trout... But as an ex-cook I will definitely do briskets, pulled pork and smoked chicken! Very Happy
TX727
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10 13 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even as the landlord I can't stress enough to check w/ your local code. I'm also in an apartment complex and fortunately live downstairs on the end and have a patio. Our code states that any open "flame" must be at least 10' from anything combustible hence the reason I only use my MES. Right and wrong on the cord though.

A normal extension like you would use inside to plug something into (you know, one of the cheap 5' $1.99 ones) wont work as the MES requires too much power and would most likely create heat and cause major issues. The one I use is for outdoor use and is a 14 gauge, 15 amp, 125 volt model. Works great. Highly recommended to use one similar.

I plan on doing a pulled beef roast tonight and will include some pics as to how the MES can turn out a good product Very Happy

Proud member of the "Easy Bake Oven and Old Milwaukee Club™" since 2013
----------------------------------------
Weber 1 touch gold 22.5-Big Blue
MES 30" Digital
bouyachaka

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10 13 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TX727 :
Quote:
I plan on doing a pulled beef roast tonight and will include some pics as to how the MES can turn out a good product

Nice! I can't wait to see your results! May the great smoky spirit be with you Smile

DKT
GF
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10 13 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bouyachaka, I wasn't trying to give you doubt. Wink
Just throwing another option out there. I don't own either one so I can't tell you first hand how each would preform.

Since both will be a bit of a cash and time investment, do some looking around and get whatever suits your needs best. Very Happy

Also, whatever you get, if you enjoy smoking, you'll end up with more than one cooker anyway. Shocked Embarassed
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10 13 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont want to be like the downer of the group or anything, but really pay close attention to what your thinking about doing by cooking on a balcony. A small ember or a gust of wind and you could have serious problems fast and cause a lot of hardship for other tenants of the complex.

A very good friend of mine is the CFO of the company that owns The Majestic condos in Branson MO. My family and I have stayed there many weekends just to relax and take it easy and just get away. They have a strict policy against against grills, gas or charcoal. One of the tenants who actually owned his condo didnt listen and a $20 million dollar facility is now gone. The wind was blowing around 20mph that day with gusts off of Table Rock Lake. There is nothing left Sad

Another fire that hit close to home for us was an apartment fire not even a mile away from us. One of my oldest sons school teachers lost everything in this one. Blamed on a tenant who was supposedly smoking a cig on his balcony but they did find a grill in the debris. My good buddy Jim who got the 2nd offset cooker in my X2 build and also a disco was on his bike and seen the fire break out. He shot the following video with his phone. Was extremely windy that day.
I think there is a 15 second advertisement before the video starts...
Amature Video
TX727
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10 13 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great point TB! That is one of my greatest fears I had in wanting to keep my offset when we moved in here and the MAIN reason I bought the MES. I'd rather live and have a place to live another day than even put that factor of "it might work" into play.

Better to be safe Smile
RedValleyBBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10 13 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sister of a friend of mine lost her condo and several pets to a fire that started when a weber on the neighbor's deck tipped over in the wind.
18.5" & (3) 22" Weber Kettle Grills
Traeger Lil' Tex
KCBS CBJ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: